Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ayu Music News (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Review Of A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ In Singapore's The Strait Times's Life ! papers (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80670)

Lanz16 3rd October 2008 08:25 AM

Its quite a disappointment after I read the review.
I do agreed on some parts especially the high-pitched voice because I can bear to listen to her earlier songs but its her earlier masterpieces.

The reviewer mainly focuses on the voice and the quality of the packaging.


And there's some things that was missing on that review: its her 10th anniversary man! and the DVD of unreleased footages of TA exclusive concert and A-NATION footages.



3/5 is too little; I think 4.5/5 is better. :yes

PEARL 3rd October 2008 08:30 AM

walao i think he never even listen finish at least one song los .. rawr
its unfair!!
im emailing comments to th paper.

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanz16 (Post 1652274)
Its quite a disappointment after I read the review.
I do agreed on some parts especially the high-pitched voice because I can bear to listen to her earlier songs but its her earlier masterpieces.

The reviewer mainly focuses on the voice and the quality of the packaging.


And there's some things that was missing on that review: its her 10th anniversary man! and the DVD of unreleased footages of TA exclusive concert and A-NATION footages.



3/5 is too little; I think 4.5/5 is better. :yes

I think he just review for the sake of reviewing & you can definitely tell he's lazy in doing such a proper review of A COMPLETE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope (Post 1652276)
walao i think he never even listen finish at least one song los .. rawr
its unfair!!
im emailing comments to th paper.

I attached the email address to ST in the 1st post

hopefully I can see your email over the weekend on this :laugh

SolarAngel 3rd October 2008 02:15 PM

I've learnt never to depend on singapore reviews for japanese albums. I don't know what the reviewer was talking about for disc 1. For my dear, definitely off but boys & girls and monochrome were perfectly fine! For discs 2 and 3, he probably just used his general knowledge to comment on it i.e. he never listened to it. The part where "musical metamorphosis is accompanied by a gazillion visually arresting image changes which rival Madonna's" has been quoted to death. Tell us something we don't know. Or has not been mentioned in "gazillions" chinese and english magazines.

I remember an 8 days review of (m)u. It was ludicrously inadequate. Basically, Celine Tan (yes i remember the reviewer) stated Bold & Delicious was a so-so effort and the whole album was about a girl finding her way through life. The rest of the review was describing ayu's fashion statements. It's painfully obvious she just listened to the first song and maybe read other reviews or english translations.

Someone commented on the journalist's poor writing standard. Dismaying isn't it? Some are really good actually but i'm not quite sure how they choose their editors. For example sumiko tan. How can she be the editor of ST? Her articles are mediocre at best. And the aforementioned celine tan is currently the editor of 8 days. Where are our talent going?

ren0210989 3rd October 2008 02:24 PM

3/5 is waaay too low...

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarAngel (Post 1652540)
I've learnt never to depend on singapore reviews for japanese albums. I don't know what the reviewer was talking about for disc 1. For my dear, definitely off but boys & girls and monochrome were perfectly fine! For discs 2 and 3, he probably just used his general knowledge to comment on it i.e. he never listened to it. The part where "musical metamorphosis is accompanied by a gazillion visually arresting image changes which rival Madonna's" has been quoted to death. Tell us something we don't know. Or has not been mentioned in "gazillions" chinese and english magazines.

I remember an 8 days review of (m)u. It was ludicrously inadequate. Basically, Celine Tan (yes i remember the reviewer) stated Bold & Delicious was a so-so effort and the whole album was about a girl finding her way through life. The rest of the review was describing ayu's fashion statements. It's painfully obvious she just listened to the first song and maybe read other reviews or english translations.

Someone commented on the journalist's poor writing standard. Dismaying isn't it? Some are really good actually but i'm not quite sure how they choose their editors. For example sumiko tan. How can she be the editor of ST? Her articles are mediocre at best. And the aforementioned celine tan is currently the editor of 8 days. Where are our talent going?

*clap clap*

that's why our local magazines really suck . I used to like LIME but after last year when some bozo came onboard , he totally f the whole magazine up

thank goodness LIME's going to be closing shop soon LOL

Lee_410 3rd October 2008 02:57 PM

Bad rewiewer.

SolarAngel 3rd October 2008 03:08 PM

Lol i wrote in an e-mail but it's probably too scathing to come up in the reader's forum. Come on it's so obvious the dude knew nothing about ayu's earlier songs so he listened to 3 at random and her voice was too high-pitched for his liking. He probably heard SEASONS and M before and said discs 2 and 3 had better and bolder stuff. 1 line to describe 29 songs. Real classy.

Even for SHE's review which took up 2/3 of a page. He just listed their past accomplishmets and the album collaborations. All just to blow smoke to cover the fact that he probably didn't listen to the album at all. Seiko Mastusda's review was also laughable. This is ridiculous.

waterballoon 3rd October 2008 03:45 PM

I found this review disappointing, and really garbage-quality.

It's a single collection for God's sake, so I don't know how it should be reviewed anyways. But, all I know is that Ayu's squeaky voice was her "signature" back then in Japan. So, wow, and now it has become that the listener has to endure and must "survive to listen to Disc 2 and 3". Screw this. I'm kind of pissed by the sloppy review.

BoBo 3rd October 2008 03:46 PM

10x ;)

summersnow 3rd October 2008 03:55 PM

yah he didn't even mention this complete compilation is for Ayu's 10th anniversary.
3/5 is very low.....

Melrose 3rd October 2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwiz (Post 1651945)
the author even compared her with Madonna X)

All the more reason why this is a truly horrible review. But you can't please all critics. XD

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterballoon (Post 1652648)
I found this review disappointing, and really garbage-quality.

It's a single collection for God's sake, so I don't know how it should be reviewed anyways. But, all I know is that Ayu's squeaky voice was her "signature" back then in Japan. So, wow, and now it has become that the listener has to endure and must "survive to listen to Disc 2 and 3". Screw this. I'm kind of pissed by the sloppy review.

exactly I also don't review compliation albums in my music blog to begin with as what's the point in doing so ?

it's just a cheap shot at putting a review down on the papers that's all

ayu-fan 3rd October 2008 05:02 PM

i kinda understand why he wrote such a review. it's hard to 'survive' ayu's earliest songs, especially if you're not into jpop so much. :D

Kazeyomi 3rd October 2008 05:09 PM

It's a compilation o_o' what kind of rating you can give?

Quote:

i kinda understand why he wrote such a review. it's hard to 'survive' ayu's earliest songs, especially if you're not into jpop so much.
lol, it's true.
But it's a useless review

Ayunk 3rd October 2008 05:25 PM

It should have been 4/5 ! :grumpy i dont think the writer even listened to ayu's songs. at least appreciate her effort for the 10th anniversary chinese version of Who.. (i kinda like it now) :(

Melrose 3rd October 2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayu-fan (Post 1652726)
i kinda understand why he wrote such a review. it's hard to 'survive' ayu's earliest songs, especially if you're not into jpop so much. :D

That's just stupid. If you're a real critic, you shouldn't let your own opinion i.e. not liking J-Pop interfere with the review.

KarenPang 3rd October 2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose (Post 1652745)
That's just stupid. If you're a real critic, you shouldn't let your own opinion i.e. not liking J-Pop interfere with the review.

see this's why I wouldn't be able to make the cut as a professional music critic cos I know I will be very biased on what I like & dislike

ayu_fantasy 3rd October 2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenPang (Post 1652748)
see this's why I wouldn't be able to make the cut as a professional music critic cos I know I will be very biased on what I like & dislike

So true, and those reviewer sounded like some jpop haters.....

lfe. 3rd October 2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitkki (Post 1651993)
How exactly does one review a single collection? The review sounds more like something you'd find on an online blog than anything professional.

I agree.

Sounds more like the guy needed to fill in his editorial quota or he was gonna get fired.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.