Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Enquiries (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does Ayu's voice ever hurt your ears? (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123620)

Norrel 7th May 2017 04:46 PM

Does Ayu's voice ever hurt your ears?

This isn't meant to be a mean or funny post, but lately I've found her voice to be EXTREMELY difficult to listen to in some songs where she sings high notes.

For example, UNITE and Hello new me have a few parts in the chorus where I literally have to turn down the volume because there's parts in their choruses where her voice creates a sharp pain in my ear.

I'm not sure if this is just bad mixing or bad EQ settings on my part, but it's been a problem for me and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with her voice on some songs?

adantatu2 7th May 2017 09:59 PM

Sometimes If I use cheap lq earphones I can't bear her voice, lol.

EndOfTheWorld 7th May 2017 10:34 PM

There are a lot of variables that can cause this.
It could be that you are listening to music with the volume too high. It can cause damage to your hearing. It could also be your headphones. If you are using cheap ear buds, they may have a very tinny, sharp, treble heavy sound and Ayu's voice is really pushing the limits. If you are using EQ settings on a music player I would try setting it to Flat and see if that helps. Also mastering/mixing is awful these days. The dynamic range is killed when they create the final version of the song that is released to us. Music is literally louder today.
When I first heard forgiveness I also had to turn the volume down because it was a bit much for my ears.:dead2

YUKARI 8th May 2017 04:22 AM

Her voice hurts my ears since 2006.

xLuna&1LOVE 8th May 2017 08:27 AM

I have it with lots of songs from Love songs (November, Thank U, crossroad, Like A Doll and Virgin Road and some from her older discography, like the ones you said, and SEASONS and Endless Sorrow..

I do not know how most songs from her debut album sound like, because songs like For my dear... have ruined it for me.
imo, her voice is most beautiful during RAINBOW - GUILTY eras. I wish I could say it is even better now, but then I realized songs like Step By Step, NO FUTURE, Mr. Darling, The Show Must Go on, snowy kiss, Missing, petal, Hello New Me, Feel The Love and even Zutto... hurt my ears. Luckily, it does not make me dislike the song, so I still love a lot from the songs I just called out.

Not sure whether I am just becoming deaf, or that the quality or some songs are just... like that. Because to me it does not really matter if I use crappy headphones or when I just listen from my laptop.

NintendoHTF1242 9th May 2017 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adantatu2 (Post 3239702)

LOL!

I don't have any issues with her voice tbh. Although I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.

visionfactory 9th May 2017 04:19 AM

I love For My Dear... but when she specifically sings the ii parts, it hurts my ears

rikku1994 9th May 2017 12:01 PM

Her voice always hurt my ears... Well except 2006-2010

orbitalaspect 9th May 2017 08:12 PM

I actually miss her deep vibrato from around the (miss)understood/Secret/GUILTY/NEXT LEVEL era. One of my favorite tracks from her is still Secret.

I wouldn't say Ayu's voice causes any pain for me, but when she sings like she does in You&Me (the baby-ish voice), it actually causes me noticeable physical discomfort. There are other tracks she's done in recent years where this is much more common in her singing, and they all cause some level of physical or mental stress. Songs like The GIFT, Anything for You, Feel the love, where she's singing too much in head voice throughout the song, it's just too much for me.

However, I love songs like Last angel... Jesus. That song still makes the hair on my arms stand. When Ayu shows more versatility in her singing, she blows me away.

On a side note, I have a hard time with Namie's voice in a lot of songs too. She always seems bored of her music, her videos, her dance routines, etc.

hud 11th May 2017 07:44 AM

sometimes

rusuke 11th May 2017 10:16 AM

I really enjoy Ayu's voice until 2006. Even the high notes on "Connected", "Kanariya" and even on "UNITE". But I can't bear her vibrato when she ends in "a" vowel since 2008. I dunno. I think it doesn't hurt my ears but my feelings.

J0nB0yH88 11th May 2017 04:36 PM

no... her voice has never caused any pain. if it did why would I listen to it? this topic however was quite painful lol.

channy 14th May 2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 (Post 3239811)
[...] I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.

Absolutely. The excessive yelling parts in "Terminal" make it hard to enjoy the song as a whole but I love "Terminal" with passion in terms of its instrumental and the parts where Ayu sings in a more tranquil tone. The "Kimi nii" for instance sounds beautiful and trancy unlike the distorted hyaena-esque screaming.

Imagine Ayu would have yelled like this in "Connected". It'd have destroyed the entire trance vibe. Vocals have to fit that genre perfectly or else it just won't work.

For this very reason my first choice always is the dub mix of "Terminal", a really nice tune. Alas we don't have an instrumental version of the Original mix, though. It sounds quite different from the dub mix and Avex failed to add it to the single for whatever reason.

hayasaki 16th May 2017 10:38 PM

No. Not at all. I actually love her iiiiiii. They're addicting. There were times when they're out of place or not properly done especially when i'm on her lives but generally, her voice dont hurt me :D

ExodusUK 17th May 2017 02:39 AM

Feel The Love especially.

TheRainbow 20th May 2017 04:49 PM

Only the chorus of Hello new me. But I think it has to do more with the mixing (the backvocals make it worse, I feel?).

Teiji92 20th May 2017 07:51 PM

I've never experienced that, except her performance of Terminal, she sounds like too much high on minute 2:21 but I know it's not because of her, but because of the sound technician, I guess.

Link: https://youtu.be/EaeqaFlcClY

Quote:

Originally Posted by adantatu2 (Post 3239702)

LOL memeo x'DDDDD

melissalove 20th May 2017 10:31 PM

Ayu is going deaf, she's doing her best. Leave her alone

kendelle 21st May 2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 (Post 3239811)
LOL!

I don't have any issues with her voice tbh. Although I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.

I used that part as an alarm for a while xD it's so sharp that it woke me up (although I did grow to resent the song as a whole because of it lmao)

BlackSilence 22nd May 2017 05:57 PM

i only have to skip ASFXX and Loveappears albums because i HATE her voice there. I just cannot stand it. But from then on i'm perfectly fine with it.