Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ayu Music News (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ayumi's discography added to Youtube (http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124720)

Cahz- 23rd December 2019 12:09 PM

Ayumi's discography added to Youtube

All the albums are up on Youtube!:luv2

https://www.youtube.com/user/ayu/pla...dd&shelf_id=98

Although some songs are missing.

hud 23rd December 2019 06:21 PM

nice! I saw they did that to Kuu's discography, it's nice they're making them available on all platforms.

YUKARI 23rd December 2019 07:53 PM

woooow! that's great!!

perfectodub 23rd December 2019 10:03 PM

nice
but what is the point on putting full album playlists with short versions of the main single songs? :/

MeltingCORE 24th December 2019 12:27 AM

Pretty cool! <3

oaristos 24th December 2019 05:57 AM

That's really nice! Her discography is so good, it deserves to be available in as many platforms as possible.

visionfactory 26th December 2019 02:59 AM

I know this is good for ayufans and casual fans but how can this be good for ayu's pocket?

Isn't it self-defeating that her music is on other paid platforms like AWA?

So what's the point

MKAyu 28th December 2019 06:32 AM

More good news on the YouTube front: Avex released a "most viewed" list, and while Ayu didn't make a most watched video, her channel is their 7th most watched overall as of the end of 2019!

Source: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2...83505-exp-musi

Also, visionfactory, it certainly can eat into profits to offer the music for free this way. But putting it up earns money from YouTube streams. Not as much as downloading it, but if Avex doesn't put it up a pirate site/channel will, and then they will earn NO money.

At least, that's how I assume they're thinking. It's the logic that makes the most sense to me.

_dandy_ 31st December 2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKAyu (Post 3311759)
if Avex doesn't put it up a pirate site/channel will, and then they will earn NO money.

At least, that's how I assume they're thinking. It's the logic that makes the most sense to me.

While that's absolutely true, I'll add this: Years ago, there was a free site that streamed all sorts of content, and this is where I got introduced to Ayu. One of the "channels" was streaming the Clip Box set - one video after another, in a loop, 24/7. I found myself rather fascinated by her overall work.

To make a long story short, I've since purchased *all* of her albums, EPs, compilations, and concerts (tours + countdown live). If they've lost a few sales here and there of a few random albums, I've singlehandedly made up for a few of them. :-)

MKAyu 31st December 2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dandy_ (Post 3312169)
While that's absolutely true, I'll add this: Years ago, there was a free site that streamed all sorts of content, and this is where I got introduced to Ayu. One of the "channels" was streaming the Clip Box set - one video after another, in a loop, 24/7. I found myself rather fascinated by her overall work.

To make a long story short, I've since purchased *all* of her albums, EPs, compilations, and concerts (tours + countdown live). If they've lost a few sales here and there of a few random albums, I've singlehandedly made up for a few of them. :-)

That's great, but it's by no means what everyone does. Author Maggie Stiefvater posted a great essay on how her book series The Raven Cycle was almost cancelled, despite readership GROWING, because of pirating. You can read it below:

https://thewickedandthehufflepuff.tu...l-you-guys/amp

_dandy_ 1st January 2020 04:04 PM

Agreed. But the other argument is that not everyone who uses the "alternatives" would have made a purchase if those didn't exist.

MKAyu 2nd January 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dandy_ (Post 3312341)
Agreed. But the other argument is that not everyone who uses the "alternatives" would have made a purchase if those didn't exist.

I would have agreed with that a few years ago. Now they're often already available from the library (including online services like Hoopla, where you can read/listen for free online at any time), low-cost streaming, buying from second-hand sources, and sometimes from the authors/musicians/artists themselves who'll put the music up for free to get ahead of pirates.

Doing it that way artists realize they might get a little advertising money, can connect with fans, and are promoting the real money makers--concerts and goods. If pirating meant more sales for them, it wouldn't have led to so many artists going broke, getting dropped from their labels, and changing their business models. They're changing to KEEP UP with piracy now. There's no longer money in just making the music itself. Or books or art or whatever.

For example, over the last decade a lot of mid-list authors have had contracts cancelled from piracy. Or in music, singer Jean Grae had two albums-in-progress in a row pirated in 2008. She gave up on making money from that and supported herself by charging to make music for others. She says now what you said--that the music spread to new people via piracy. She lost money then because few people bought it after listening, but now that she's learned better how to get around pirates and more people know her from that pirated music, she finally released a new album just last year.

I can't blame anyone who pirated to get things they COULDN'T get until now, or used pirating to sample things. I won't pretend I never did it with manga that wasn't yet available in English. But now that I know how many careers were ruined, or at least derailed, and now that so many artists are making sure their stuff is available before pirates can get it and there's so many sources to access most anything, hopefully fans will do their best to, say, watch an artist's videos on their own channel. <3

_dandy_ 2nd January 2020 04:17 PM

I write software for a living, which is another area where piracy is rampant, so I'm very familiar with the topic. Piracy's always existed, and always will; there's *always* someone who will get the content without paying. You can't go after everyone; there's a point of diminishing returns and just have to accept not every pirated copy translates into a lost sale anyway.

MKAyu 2nd January 2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dandy_ (Post 3312610)
I write software for a living, which is another area where piracy is rampant, so I'm very familiar with the topic. Piracy's always existed, and always will; there's *always* someone who will get the content without paying. You can't go after everyone; there's a point of diminishing returns and just have to accept not every pirated copy translates into a lost sale anyway.

Yah, definitely. That's where the artists and companies have just been trying to compensate, and have a better handle on it now. Like you said, they can't stop it, so they're finding ways to roll with it.