Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - forgiveness lyrics - english stanza
View Single Post
  #100  
Old 15th May 2011, 02:26 PM
Enfluerage's Avatar
Enfluerage Enfluerage is offline
YOU Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by C+R+E+AYUMI View Post
is it grammatically correct?
Greetings:

I personally think kirei_ayumi's translation is rather accurate:

"War and destruction
Crime and desire
But I want to only keep my love
Every cardinal sin
Every immoral deed
But I was holding on for my love"


Nevertherless, it's rather difficult to decipher the text.

Summa Theologica enumerates the seven capital vices (cardinal sins) as:
vainglory (pride), envy, anger, sloth, covetousness, gluttony, lust

The seven virtues:
Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance (Cardinal Virtues)
Faith, Hope, Charity (Theological Virtues)

Note though the word "Charity"
(Latin => "Caritas", Greek => "Agape")

"Charity" now means simply what used to be called "alms"-that is, giving to the poor. Originally it had a much wider meaning. (You can see how it got the modern sense. If a man has "charity," giving to the poor is one of the most obvious things he does, and so people came to talk as if that were the whole of charity. (C.S. Lewis)

One very famous sentence is this:
(note the Theological virtues above)

"So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love"
or
"And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity."

Notice how similar the above sentence is to the lines in forgiveness:
"But I want to only keep my love"
"But I was holding on for my love"

That is, instead of "keep my love", perhaps another way to think of this is
"abide in love" or "remain in charity"

And if this is what ayumi's song is about, then surely "forgiveness" is a fantastic title.
Reply With Quote