Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu ~Anything Goes~ XV (AHS' Ayumi Hamasaki General Discussion Thread)
View Single Post
Old 18th March 2016, 05:23 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
She could explain PQ to me all day, unfortunately I don't like the songs. The lyrics can be as deep as the ocean but if I don't like it, I don't like it lol.

I don't like the music nor the visuals. But that doesn't mean I judge people who -do- like it.
Exactly. Ayu isn't a painter. Of course she is a lyricist, but I've always placed composition and arrangement above lyrical content, because music in itself is a more powerful language than words. So, even if the visual is on point, even if the lyrics are the best anyone has ever written in the world, if the music itself doesn't sound complete, or is just not enjoyable when you remove the external elements, then I won't like it. It doesn't matter if the frosting on a cake is delicious and the presentation looks amazing when the cake itself works against the palette. Every song I enjoy by Ayu I would enjoy just as much if she didn't sing a single word and just belted out the melody with la las and lai lais.

Music and SOUND above all else. That's my basis for critique.

Last edited by Zeke.; 18th March 2016 at 05:28 PM.