Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - TROUBLE TOUR 2019-2020 A -misunderstood- II
View Single Post
Old 29th August 2019, 06:05 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
yeah, it's more the formula behind it that makes most songs flat.
All publications about idols talk about poor vocal qualities and a mostly throw-away sounds. It has nothing to do with bashing an artist and I personally don't have to, I just don't listen to it.
But it is oblivious to say that the most of what these big idol-acts do is quality music, you just have to be aware of that. Groups like SMAP and AKB48 are even marketed that way. Their rather limited abilities should ease the connection and make them "relatable". It's not about the music, as I said, it's about the humans who perform it and it is all very different from someone who makes and produces his own visions like Ayumi for example, who also is an idol at the end of the day.
I do have a problem that you throw all idols together, cause there are different idols and groups out there who make different music (edgier groups like Keyakizaka46, avex' BiSH or even Babymetal come to my mind, who have greatly produced music and are successful, the LDH groups like EXILE and Co., too and also Perfume). Some even use the same producers as the popular K-Pop acts that were mentioned (Namie Amuro e.g. as well and she is often considered more of an Idol btw. in Japan when I read articles and comments). So no, I strongly disagree, it's not about poor quality. The idol industry is not one-dimensional and is changing as well with trends in sounds. You just don't know cause as you said you don't even listen or know. Other points like a certain image are just as important, that's true.
The idol industry does have other severe problems though.
And it's all about relation for pretty much every artist - didn`t Ayu became big because people could relate so much to her as the girl next door and her lyrics?
And about the vocals in general - a lot of people in Japan like high-pitched female voices, it is seen as beautiful, young and cute, for women. Which is why even Ayu sang higher in her earlier career than she actually really could, same for a bunch of idols. Heck, there are a lot of women talking higher because of that.
The big difference between artists and idols probably is that idols are made by others, following stricter rules of what to put out and how to be, and artists shape themselves. Though the lines can be blurred.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 29th August 2019 at 07:25 AM.