Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Utada Hikaru] 58th Thread: New album BAD Mode, out 19.1.2022
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2019, 10:17 AM
I am... Initiate

Taken from the Billboard interview with Skrillex, about how the collab came to be and how he met Hikki:

Quote:
How did the collaboration between you and Utada come to fruition?

Utada actually hit me up a couple of years ago, back in 2016, about remixing “Don’t Think Twice.” I was so excited, and I remember loading the stems into Ableton and sitting there like, “Fuck, I don’t know what to do.” The song was a little bit too hard for me to touch. I really liked it for what it was, but it didn’t feel like that jazzy melody lent toward a dance remix. I didn’t think I could do it justice.
The next year, I happened to be in London during the same time she was. I was writing on some other pop song with [producer] Poo Bear and found out she was there, so we texted. We decided to try to write a new song together, just for fun -- to see what could happen. All three of us ended up getting into the studio and writing “Face My Fears” in under an hour.
Quote:
How did you and Utada first meet?

How we met is crazy, it’s nuts! I was playing this heavy-metal festival in Germany called Rock am Ring in 2012 and was backstage in the Jägermeister lounge after the show. They sponsored me, so I was literally wearing my Jägermeister hat. [Laughs] I was just chilling, having drinks with my friends, when I get a tap on the shoulder. I turn around and this girl goes, “Hey, Skrillex, that was a really great show. I’m a big fan of yours.” I was like, “Awesome, cool!” We talked for a couple minutes before I even asked her what her name was, and she goes, “Utada.” I was like, “Whoa, wait, are you Utada Hikaru?” I became starstruck.
It was super dark in the backstage area, with artists just hanging around, and it was the last place I would ever expect to see Utada Hikaru. I mean, a heavy metal festival in Germany? It was crazy, so random. I guess she had come to watch the festival and caught my set. We became friends and hung out a couple times across the years, kind of scattered. She had no idea I was a crazy fan of hers for years, so it was pretty cool.
Full interview: https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...karu-interview