Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2021-2022 A ~23rd Monster~
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2022, 03:27 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
It hasn't been good since like late 2007 and even before that it was hit or miss. She's a bad and inconsistent live vocalist, singing in unnatural way and often out of her range, who's able to make decent prerecorded TV performances, I'll give her that.
I haven't watched the CDL yet, but I wanted to throw in my two cents about her vocals. As Chris85 comments above, I too think that her vocals have been hit or miss throughout her career. I remember becoming a fan around late 2006/2007, and being shocked at the difference between the vocals of studio versions of GUILTY vs. how she sang those songs live (to be fair, there are a few tracks on GUILTY that aren't "easy" to sing either). However, I think why this shocked me so significantly also was due to having watched live performances from late 2002 to early 2006, where her vocals were far, far better - it was clear that her loss of hearing had had a substantial impact on her ability to sing.

Now it's 2022, and I think it's fair to say that Ayu has now been touring for nearly two decades consistently. Considering the impact that this has had on her voice (alongside aging, as well as the harmful initial 90s jpop vocal approach that she would only adjust some years into her career, and having previously performed while being genuinely sick - 2002-03 CDL is one instance, if I remember correctly), and the further injury to her hearing that she has endured, I think that it's fair to say that her current vocal ability is likely the best that she can provide if she continues to tour. What she really needs is a break away from touring, perhaps music altogether for a while so she can rest her voice. Even then, I think that without some kind of hearing-based medical miracle and proper vocal rehabilitation, this is Ayu's voice now. I would say I think that this is "okay," but I really wish Ayu would take care of herself better! I understand her desire to keep touring as long as she can given the circumstances with her hearing, though.

Last edited by 280301; 12th January 2022 at 03:29 AM.