Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] CDTV reveals cover for 'M(A)DE IN JAPAN'
View Single Post
Old 8th June 2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
How do people feel about Namie? In terms of relatability? Is she judged by the same factors?
I haven't talked that much about Namie, but when she came up people were like "she's popular!" and that's basically it, they weren't really interested in her, but I don't think they judge her at all. I mostly talk to Japanese people who are 20 to 30 years old, so maybe they're too old to be a typical Namie fan. Furthermore from the way they talked about her I had the feeling that Namie is just a popstar to them who had a few hits in the 90's and has a second peak right now. They may like a few songs but Namie isn't anything more than some kind of idol to them. Whereas Ayu was an artist to them, with the emphasis on was. And I think that's the point. There isn't much to judge about an idol who's whole image is supposed to be superficial and everyone knows that and therefore people do not expect Namie to do anything else than releasing catchy pop tunes, a kitschy ballad now and then and to look pretty. Ayu on the other hand was known for her deep lyrics and more mature style compared to other women her age in the music business back then. Her image change from the mature pop queen with deep lyrics to the more superficial pop diva and an exposed private life is what made her lose touche with the public imo.