Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] CDTV reveals cover for 'M(A)DE IN JAPAN'
View Single Post
Old 8th June 2016, 08:48 PM
Heartplace Initiate

I don't think there's anything wrong with beauty shots as long as they're well executed! I love GUILTY's covers for example despite them looking like a fashion ad. They look expensive and grandiose and the CD-only is just a cool photo by itself.

The problem with beauty shots is when you take away any elements that make them engaging (interesting set, makeup, clothes, pose, composition, whatever) and then you end up with something that looks like it could've been taken with a point-and-shoot in your bedroom and you repeat that same style of cover over and over for 3 years... :\

Personally, the thing that really kills these covers is she's just wearing a pretty face and a boring ass tank top and she's plastered against a bland backdrop. The whole setup looks like a Halloween costume she threw together at the very last second and then she stood against her bedroom wall for selfies. She has a really pretty face, but we've all seen it a million times before so a super generic mega closeup in clean makeup and looking expressionless like in the TA covers just... doesn't cut it at all. They just could've done so much more with the basic idea of being bound in rope and then being unbound but they didn't... They never really do anything more than the bare minimum for covers anymore imo. I think it's just something you have to learn to expect and accept with Ayu.