Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] New Album TROUBLE on August 15th ~II~
View Single Post
Old 25th July 2018, 07:49 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissElin_ View Post
Exactly. Koda Kumi W FACE is one example.

Anyway, this album release is (for me) a clear case of bad marketing. This should have been advertised as a two part 20th anniversary DVD release of two concerts from the pre celebrations. The CD with total 5 songs, 3 new being a bonus/secondary release to the DVD release. The CD should not be called an album but just a bonus CD or at it's very stretch, mini-album to support the DVD sales.

Just imagine the difference of reception if they marketed like that.
This way they would still keep in line with the 20th anniversary. Fans would feel the 20th anniversary presence. Fans would probably feel grateful to get a small mini-album to a DVD release as a commendation for the anniversary. Even the small tour goods added to it would tie together the theme. The CD having the same versions on both DVD wouldn't bother the fans too much since the CD would be a secondary release, a bonus. They would already be happy about it. Probably very excited getting new songs and this DVD release would feel extra, new and special. More worthy a 20th anniversary.

Instead they primary put this release as an album release (most fans feeling disappointed that there's too little songs to be named a regular album), they put the DVD's as some secondary release and the small rubber key chain is like just thrown in there to jack up the price. The concept isn't really mentioned because it's such a heavy focus on the new album instead of the anniversary of the DVD releases. Of course many fans are bound to be disappointed and feel like this release is lazy. I totally get it too.

Since I'm in marketing and brand marketing I might think overthink this, but imho I think this such a horrid marketing misstake they easily could have avoided with the same products. It's quite a stretch for a marketing team to think of this as a success if fans have to reset their own mindsets to feel at ease with this release (I've read too many people stating "I will think if this release like "this" or "that" and then I feel more satisfied"). Know your audience, listen to them, adapt after them, create products for them, not the brand you think you are god damn it.

Edit:
Btw, love the covers minus the CK add (for many obvious reasons). One of my favorite Ayu haircuts is the RAINBOW one and this takes me back to it. Lovely. I will maybe buy one of the CD only for the cover is gorg but I'm really not excited about the album. Excited about the 3 new songs, but not the album. Thank god for Spotify premium.
Very true. You don’t just presume and/or expect your consumers to adjust their way of thinking. Like there is no logic for even calling this an album. You already set your audience up for disappointment. It’s like saying “dishwasher for sale” when in reality it’s just a sponge. “Oh, well I guess technically this is a dishwasher in the sense that you wash dishes with it... also it serves the same purpose.” Really, how they can’t be sensitive to these very rudimentary concepts in marketing and advertising and still have a job is beyond me!! And here I am TRYING to find a job, lmao.