Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - What's with the hate?
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
She built a very diva persona, and in her prime that might not have been a bad thing, but now that she's older, a lot of people have absolutely no sympathy for her.

She's a bit like Mariah Carey now. Constantly being remember for old hits and records, and being torn down about anything new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
She built a very diva persona, and in her prime that might not have been a bad thing, but now that she's older, a lot of people have absolutely no sympathy for her.

She's a bit like Mariah Carey now. Constantly being remember for old hits and records, and being torn down about anything new.
Exactly. Especially for Japanese people, I find that it's even harder for them to like and relate to a "diva" persona. I think it's expected from female entertainers to stay as quiet as possible, be polite, never speak up their minds, and age gracefully. I tend to like certain recklessly in artists, but the older Ayu gets the more people think she can't pull off that recklessly anymore. She's a rebel by nature, and while we appreciate her for being herself and standing up for what she believes, the masses will just tear her down anytime they have the opportunity to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
At the time she was more popular she was also at most hated celebrities list

Hate comes with fame, it's natural that the more people know about you, the more people dislike you (and also the more people like you)
Yes! I remember when Kumi was a top-selling artist and she was also hated (even before the scandal). We all have to remember that people love to hate artists--it's like a hobby. Even if you never get involved in any scandal, people will find something about it to write about, especially in social media.