Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of ~A BEST 15th Anniversary Edition~
View Single Post
Old 7th April 2016, 03:36 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I think Ayumi's had consistent criticism over the last five years that has contributed a lot to her sharp fall in sales:

* Working with producers who don't understand her sound very well.
* Writing songs that don't build on her talent as a songwriter (i.e., low effort songs compared to her work from as recent as NEXT LEVEL or RnRC)
* Under-promoting or not promoting her work
* Not building on her prior work in a meaningful way (i.e., doing what she wants vs. at least taking into consideration what fans want to hear and see)

Until 2010-2011, there were occasional criticisms of her actual work, but now it's an every-release bit. With Ls, people criticized the lackluster album tracks. With PQ, people criticized the amateur sound. With La, people criticized how boring the album was, and why she couldn't at least pick an original title. With Colours, it sounded like a blob of songs put together like a mix CD, no cohesion. With AO, people criticized the staleness of almost every track. Ayumi has also been highly criticized for low effort PVs since 2010. The last PVs she invested any significant work in were the PVs from Love songs and FIVE.

So, I criticize because Ayumi is still not the norm, and she will never be "the norm" of Japanese Pop. She's just not giving it her best these days. And we all know she could do a little more to promote her releases, or maybe take an extra month to work on the next album, or maybe work a little harder to make her tours and CDLs different from each other. But she's been cutting corners for the last several years, and it's had an effect. Just like Koda has cut corners and been hurt by it as well.
I agree on that she's been cutting corners sometimes (Like A BEST release they would have made a bigger promotion or better bonus material) but you also have to take in count that ayu is a product and she has like 200+ songs (I mean which solo artist nowadays has 200+ songs and doesn't bore people?) I think a big part of decrease in sales is that people DON'T NEED more songs from ayu, she already has her gems in that number-.

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!