Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Critique: 23rd Monster
View Single Post
Old 27th June 2021, 06:32 AM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

I prefer not to comment and just read, but i found this thread to be quite interesting and i enjoyed reading the many different perspectives of the members.

To stay on topic: I love the song, i’m a rock-ayu fan so i am biased but i really do enjoy it and think it’s one of the best she’s done recently.

But to comment on the grander and bigger topic regarding the artistic direction of Ayu, i’m just gonna be honest. She’s in a state where it’s impossible to please everybody.

If she sticks to what she knows best and her signature sounds. People will complain it’s nothing new and something they’ve already heard from her.

If she does branch out and try new and different things, people will still complain that she’s doing something that they’re not used to from her and that she’s abandoning her core style and sound. We’ve seen the reception to Party Queen, COLOURS and to some extent.. NEXT LEVEL. It would be a lie to say that I myself have also not liked some of her recent work and have been disappointed by the musical direction and lyrical content in comparison to what she’s put out previously.

But beyond all of that, I have no doubt in my heart that she is aware of those issues above and at this point, she really doesn’t care, she stopped caring about sales and relevance a long time ago and at this point she only cares about doing whatever feels good to her. And to be honest i respect her for that, she really has nothing to prove at this point and considering her health issues that are definitely affecting her creativity and performance (directly and indirectly).. i’m just happy she’s doing what she likes. Of course i do have my concerns and wish she would take it easier on herself. But i am just amazed at the level of dedication she continues to pour into her career, even when she’s recently given birth! regardless of her sound currently. I have an enormous respect for her as a person and as an artist and i will continue to follow her.