Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] New album "Remember you" on sale 2023.01.25
View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:17 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerain View Post
Almost all Ayu albums have some kind of narrative. If it's too diverse in terms of sound, the lyrics always connect the songs. And I see some cohesiveness in terms of lyrics in this album. Even Summer Again seems not totally out of place there.
Exactly. I don't think she ever really didn't have a well thought-out album tracklist or live setlist. She usually seems to group songs by lyrics more than musical style, which is why some sections on albums can feel incohesive.
I actually listened to (N)Ry in full once, but even just listening to the beginning the rock influences are obvious, which made me question why it wasn't next to 23rd on the album, but looking at the lyrics it's very much about drawing a line and leaving things behind in the past, in this case likely people. What other song has a similar theme? DaD; just that (N)Ry is much more in-your-face about it, you could even say it's facing outward while DaD faces inward.

Nonfiction
What appears to be true vs the truth. It's a public self vs private self kind of message, that just because she's famous and has money, doesn't mean that there aren't any hardships. Not everything seen on screens is the whole truth.
It will be interesting to see if the remix will add a new spin to the song to the point the lyrics could be reinterpreted. Perhaps it'll be slower or more frantic.

(NOT) Remember you
The title basically says it all. It's outspoken about the pain someone caused and about their wickedness, but it also has the positive message that she has people around her she can trust. She wants to leave things in the past and not even honour them by remembering, though the (NOT) implies that she'll never really forget.

Dreamed a Dream
Seems to be more about nostalgic feelings than any one person or situation. It's about remaking oneself so to speak, having to try a new approach. Also an interesting juxtaposition between "even if the future is rotten, have it become light" in this and "even if you try to wash it off, you'll remain dirty" in (NOT) Remember you. (I'm paraphrasing.)

23rd Monster
The free time because of the pandemic that led to a peaceful life and the answers she got in that time. Admits she can't free herself from the monster and that there's not a normal life for her; reaffirms her career path.

Summer Again
There're less restrictions. I interpret taking the Summer back as making up for the time lost because of the pandemic. Might that also be why she flew to Okinawa? I like to see it as an unofficial theme of her Summer activities in 2022. To me it's basically like The Show Must Go On, therefore also reaffirming her career path.

ray of truth
The truth will eventually shine through, like a ray of sunlight through the clouds. It will likely have no lyrics, though I wouldn't mind some, but I think that could be the meaning behind the title.

Remember you
Since it's followed by songs dedicated to her children, I could imagine this one looking at past loves. The recent cryptic and ominous messages could also mean that it's about her always remembering everyone throughout her career and perhaps even her wish for us to remember her too. The following two songs could therefore represent two of the reasons for her decision.

Ohia no ki
Haru yo, koi

Songs for her children and probably the reason why they're on the album too.

taskinson
Does that confirm both of her children are sons? Or did tasuku become a father recently?

MASK
This kind of goes back to the whole what appears to be true vs the truth theme, but this time it's more about admitting that to oneself; she didn't overcome the pain, but masked it with new wounds. But at the same time we get no resolution to the issue.

VIBEES
This could go any way, especially with such a title. Could be a more positive spin on the theme of MASK, like being stronger than one thought. It could even be the resolution to MASK.

Just the way you are
Again, difficult to say what this could be about, but seeing how it comes after a remix of the first track, making the rest of the album sandwiched in-between, this could have a theme removed from the rest of the album. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a "Ayu and Hamasaki Ayumi" type song, especially with her recent cryptic messages. The title could imply a relation to The way I am. The title also quite obviously goes into the direction of accepting someone for who they are, a common theme for her.

「浜崎あゆみ」であること
”歌う”ということ
それは”生きる”ということ

SCawaii May 2008

矛盾だらけの こんな私でも
許されますか 教えてよ

浜崎あゆみ 「I am...」