Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [A] ayumi hamasaki NEW SINGLE 23rd Monster Release 2021.04.08
View Single Post
Old 7th April 2021, 06:19 PM
SEASONS Initiate

I really like those sudden surprises! Boom a new song from nowhere.

LOVE the cover even if it's another headshot. The mask, given the current pandemic, certainly ads some personality to it.
I like what they did with the font placement. And it's out of focus like everything except her eyes, which is a nice touch (so that we can appreciate her weird lenses even more ).
Also really like the title, this is something I wouldn't expect from her at all! Nice surprise!

As regards the song, my feelings are way more mixed.
I really like her voice here. It's quite low but fits the song very nicely. The delivery (not sure it's the right word...) sounds natural. BUT... I have issues with arrangements and probably mixing too. It's the same issues that DaD had. Everything is so busy, too busy resulting in it sounding really flat and empty. It's even more noticeable on this song to me. The arrangements in themselves are a bit dated and too messy. It certainly would benefit from more subtlety. I can't help imagining this new single with another team behind those two aspects. It could have been way more.
Still I'm happy it's not a typical bland ballad.

Last edited by hidekirby; 7th April 2021 at 06:21 PM.