Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] A BEST -15th Anniversary Edition- on 28th March ~Thread II~
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 05:43 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavopc View Post
I am not so sure BR are gonna be the main media as DVDs once were cause Sony put copyrights over them, while the technology for DVD writing has none (or it's already expired, it's been some time since I read about it and don't recall it properly). It's one of the reasons it's not that wide-spread and also why it's still expensive. See Nintendo, for example, they created an alternative technology for Wii U so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to Sony for every copy they sold. If I would guess, from the ways things seem to be going, the main media in the future will be stream/cloud-based, not physical.
I didn't know that Sony owned the copyrights for BR discs! It makes sense that Nintendo never used that media in their consoles (and I also didn't know the Wii U had a different media, I thought it used DVDs). I agree that in the future the main media is going to be anything but physical--sadly.