Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [romaji & translation] Like a doll
View Single Post
Old 25th December 2010, 03:41 AM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_the_d View Post
Hi masa, thanks so much for all your efforts.

quick question if you don't mind...

"But the back you are showing
Is small and trembling"

talking about someone's back being small and trembling is a bit odd to me, but I see ayu often talks about people's backs. does the back have some special meaning or significance in japanese? thanks for any answers!
I'm not very sure, but I think it's not talking about a person's actual back, but more of a reference. In Japan, there is something known as the tatemae(建前) "constructed front" and the honne (本音) "real feelings". Each person is seen to have 2 faces, the tatemae which they show to the public, and the honne, which is their actual selves and true feelings. This works in Japan because the society is built upon very rigid social rules, so everyone is expected to put on a certain face to fit in, even if they may not feel that way inside.

However, nobody talks about tatemae and honne. It is sort of like a hidden but acknowledged fact, besides it's really blunt to talk about it straight out. That, plus the fact that it's totally not a romantic topic to dwell on (everyone having 2 faces? makes humans seem so fake and insincere, right?), that's why I think ayu settled on the more subtle references to the face for tatemae and the back for honne.

So in this song's example, when she said "the back you are showing is small and trembling", I guess she means that she can see the person's true self, which is small and trembling, aka weak, despite the strong front the person may be putting on (making merry, being foolish in the previous 2 lines).

Just my guess, hope it makes sense!!

Visit: Misa-chan’s J-pop blog ♪