Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [romaji & translation] meaning of Love
View Single Post
Old 11th April 2010, 09:23 PM
monochrome Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
In fact, there is another word I can't translate well. That is "kusha tto". I couldn't find this word in a dictionary. This means like "deform one's face as if rumple a paper" (when smiling). If someone has a good idea of translating this word, please post here.
the word you're looking for is SCRUNCH (or scrunch up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Oh, 'I suppose' is just fine too! I think I was kind of sleepy when I posted that...

Hm, smiling with a crumpled face sounds like that would fit, but a "crumpled face" doesn't sound right to me for some reason. Maybe we could use the word wrinkle here? oji-i-san, we need you~ Haha.
scrunched is used more for faces than crumpled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterballoon View Post
sounds like wrinkles forming on your face when you smile?
still think scrunched may be better for a smiling face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creoh View Post
ur rite... its funny how ppl jus read the translation w/o even realising that the lyrics missing few words. i think its suposed 2 b like this if i hear it correctly??

Ureshi sou ni mejiri o sagete
Kusha tto adokenaku warau toko toka
Kodomo mitai ni kyuu ni futekusare tari toka
Namidamoroi toko toka
Suki na tokoro narabedashita ra ikura jikan ga anata mo kiri ga nai yo
Thanks, can we get confirmation on this bit please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
Yes. I always use this online dictionary. It's very convenient. But

slant-eyed 目尻の上がった

It's so bad. It shows that "slanted eyes" has the opposite meaning to the original lyrics. I change the part again like this.

You smile broadly and innocently
Happily with down-slanting eyes
sorry but both these don't sound right to me :/

slant eyed, or even down slanting, just gives me the impression of slanting. ie: like this \ or this /
so slant eyed is pointing out she's asian? lol.

i think if the lyric is describing that when they smile their cheeks raise, and their eyes do that manga style smiley eyes ^^, then you're closest bet may be simply to use SQUINT.

squint means narrowing the eyes, like when you strain to see something, but it also is used to describe this kind of smile.

so a line like "squinty-eyed smile", captures the expression quite well i think.

although how you phrase it may need some more thought.

but yeah.

scrunched is the best word for scrunching up your face, but may more often be used for unhappy faces or disgust, or disapproval,

squint definitely captures the squinty eyed smile, and gives a better idea of the expression than scrunched (or the other words considered).

I vote squint! ^^

(sorry for long post)