Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] LOVEppears / appears -20th Anniversary Edition-
View Single Post
Old 8th September 2019, 01:27 PM
ourselves Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
But overtime her albums and singles became shorter. I wouldn't be surprised if we actually did get some tracks closer to the demos in the form of alternate versions, as it was pretty usual for her to release 2, 3 different versions at the same track back them.
I think you're right and there's actually quite a bit we know from the creative process and production from interviews and also other sources. I wish I could cite all of them here but I don't really have the time to make all the searches needed, sorry!

Whatever J version was clearly made for an album with a similar sound to a song for XX, whereas version M was a better fit for Loveappears. I'm not sure whether it was ultimately ayu's or her team's decision to change styles from ASFXX to Loveappears, but we know that ayu had a say in changing endless sorrow for I am... and making other last minute changes because of 9/11.

We also have a bunch of CM versions that sound like demos especially from MY STORY - (miss understood), compare step you CM and moments CM to the final products.

We know that Ayu and other avex artists (and other artists in general) will listen through catalogs of demo songs when choosing songs for an album or singles. Love songs was apparently a bit different though because she only chose songs composed by TK and I believe they were in a very raw state so to speak. She said soemthing about this in an interview at the time I believe...? Actually a very stripped down electronic instrumental medley of almost all of the songs on love songs was up on the avex corporate site playing in the background for a long time, which I guess could have been the original demos. So for that album ayu make lyrics based on just stripped down electronic compositions.

I'd also just like to mention the original sweetbox songs which I believe is the same versions ayu heard. No hate for sweetbox, but if we compare rainy day to every step, every step sounds like a demo version of an ayu song.

I'm honestly not so sure how much material ayu has laying around. I say that because she has clearly released songs she that weren't used for earlier releases (love again...) and she basically has to write lyrics for all of the songs and provides other input along with her extremely busy schedule which is a lot of work once she commits to a song. She is probably also a perfectionist (and the good and bad that goes along with that).

travel, art and food!