Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- DVD/BD Release
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019, 04:24 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
Ayu is someone who doesn't mind lip-syncing several songs per concert, so replacing vocals for DVD isn't more serious cheating than that IMO. Pitch-correction is a form of cheating as well, so why not cheat a little bit more?
Also she barely improvises, so some songs won't suffer from replacing vocals at all, the lip movements should be fine.
Fair point about the live lip syncing, and yes I do feel somewhat cheated when it's a live show for there to be lip syncing. Is it better to lip-sync one or two songs and have a better overall live vocal for the rest...maybe, but it bothers me. I understand her reasons for doing it, whether it's to save vocal strength or to keep up with the dancing, but I think I disagree with the tactic, tho maybe it's a little unfair to judge when I'm not playing large venue tours 3-5x per year. It's just the principle of it that bothers me.

I agree that some songs would be fine, and they might be able to get away with replacing some whole songs. They replaced some of the wrong lyrics in part of me with what I assume is from 06. The audio sounds fine, the cut aways seemed a little awkward to me, since it feels more natural to focus on her in some of those moments. And if they do it to the whole show it'll become very obvious. Maybe most people won't look too closely and won't realize it. That's totally fine. I often ruin movies for myself because I used to work in the industry and I can't stop analyzing and finding flaws or something else to take me out of the moment. I can only speak for myself when I say I don't like it and it feels like product swapping. The pitch correction is technically cheating too, but unfortunately Ayu does need it if she's selling the concerts, you can't have Brillante sounding the way it did live on the dvd, I do still live in reality and sometimes it's a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidekirby View Post
In a day yes... If you want an awful result.
Believe me it's really not that simple! AJFmzk explainded it pretty well. (thanks!)
Thank you. I have some experience in professional audio engineering and mixing, so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. In the past I've spent days tweaking a single song if not longer. Granted I'm not a seasoned professional at it, I am very new to it, but my mix was well received by the mastering engineer who has worked on big name records so I feel comfortable enough to at least offer my take on it. Again, I am no means a super expert at it, but I have some work experience in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidekirby View Post
It is easier and less obvious to lip sync than replacing an entire audio. Even if she doesn't improvise (like at all) you'll notice something is off and doesn't work. Move the sound by 2 frames and it's off. Unless they spend weeks on editing with obvious cuts / weird angles.
If you're lip-synching live you have to practice it in front of a mirror or camera until you get it exactly right. If you want to "reverse engineer lip-sync" with a different audio track, you'll have to take the time to finesse it properly just like practicing for live lip-syncing or it won't look right. Can it be done convincingly? It sure can, but it takes a lot of time and focus and money.

Last edited by AJFmzk; 9th September 2019 at 05:13 AM.