Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu: Anything Goes - the XXX (30th edition)!
View Single Post
Old 24th April 2022, 09:03 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilence View Post
I can't see how the three mentioned kept the "realness" around them, Namie in general was only seen in mags and videos or live concerts. What they did, at least in my eyes, they kept the "persona" that's acceptable in Japanese culture trying to stay away from things that are frowned upon...

And honestly, she can't win either way so might as well just be unapologetic and unfazed about anything and everything, cuz you are going to be dragged for whatever anyways.

Haha, I need one of those pictures that points at your quote and says, THIS!

Jameela Jamil has a great Instagram reel called "gaslighting" about how the media puts female stars on a pedistal and then tears them down, destroying them in the public eye for entertainment. Japanese media is no different in my experience.

Still, Ayu is special. Utada Hikaru has kept public and private separate, so I can see why she hasn't gone through this, but Koda Kumi and Amuro Namie have both been public and aren't treated like she is. My personal guess is that it's because a) Ayu refuses to be destroyed--keeps living however she wants to live and does it in the public eye and continues to make loads of money (Nonfiction just hit #1 on the Oricon streaming singles chart) when she's SUPPOSED to be cowed and ashamed and ruined.

There are other theories. Her looks. That she was the face of her generation, and now that generation is over. That she's big on being flash rich, when everyone is poor now. That she hasn't changed her image at all. But who knows? I'm with you, she's much more "piss off" and it seems to suit her just fine.