Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] MY ALL (Chinese ver.)
Thread: [News] MY ALL (Chinese ver.)
View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2020, 04:54 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dandy_ View Post
I'm curious - how *is* her Chinese? There's no way I could tell whether her Chinese might sound natural or not. Can she speak it, or would she have learned the lyrics phonetically?

Is it common for Japanese people to be "well-versed" in Chinese and vice-versa...or is it more like myself, as an English speaker in North America, trying to learn either language...?
Other than a few stock phrases she probably doesn't know much Chinese at all (hello. thank you, etc.) so whatever she learned will be phonetic like how it usually is when Asian artists cross borders.

If anything Japanese people know some of the Chinese loanwords that exist in Japan but they are usually surprised about it like how 'tsunami', 'rickshaw', 'honcho', or 'futon' exist in English.

Her accent in Chinese Who.... was ultra heavy and mostly you could understand the chorus I think but the verses were really strange cause of the Japanese accent. It definitely sounds like someone who normally speaks Japanese attempting to sing in Chinese, to put it that way. It's probably the hardest to sing in for acts that do try it that don't normally do it. It will probably be a similar thing for this version of MY ALL. I don't think it's bad that she's attempted it though since it shows she cares at least. Sometimes Asian artists do English versions of songs and those don't even sound like English, lol. I wonder though if there was a bit more coaching or guidance from the guy born in Shanghai that helped on MY ALL this time around.

Last edited by truehappiness; 3rd February 2020 at 05:04 AM.