Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - 『A BALLADS 2』on sale 2021.03.12
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2021, 10:47 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
I read this twice and you and you brought an argument at the end that basically nullified what you said. If any, A BEST 2 was a boring, typical best-of album.
I started to listen to Ayumi after STEP you and had a hard time getting into anything prior. That aside, I think both A BEST (as it captured a special feeling in its complete package, circumstances, etc.) and A BALLADS are her strongest compilation albums. A BALLADS is no best of album, its a collection and they made sure it has a remarkable flow and feeling in how they put the songs and rearrangements. Again, the full package (cover, RAINBOW, etc.) made it complete.

You are right tho, it was her starting to go down in sales, but the songs included were all know and loved by the public. I highly disagree with it being a "milking"-release, cause a lot of thought and work went into it (which songs go on it, which songs a remade and even two new songs on it - A song for XX even feels like a new song here too).

I personally like these kind of releases - especially when they offer something new. If they don't, there is no need for a physical release at all in tis digital age.
yeah A BEST 2 could be boring cause there was almost no new material, but they are a must-have in a collection they contain all the big songs. As greatest hits, I find both A BEST 2 quite solid. After 15 years, I think the 2 Ayu CD that I put the most often in my CD player are A Best 2 Black and Summer Best... I feel pretty confident that Ballads 2 will be on that list.

***That is said, I understand I can be in the minority of people who still use CD player :p