Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A ~II~
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2017, 10:52 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dandy_ View Post
I've seen/heard a number of her live TV concerts, then later the same thing on DVD...some people must have a golden ear, because I can't hear the robotic vocals they refer to.

Maybe it's because I'm more used to hearing music from western countries, where "singers" (and I use that term loosely) use auto-tune all the time and *intentionally* make themselves sound robotic (they must be under the mistaken impression it's a neat effect--it's not). I'm not hearing that on Ayu's concert DVDs. Perhaps Japanese sound engineers have some better techniques for "fixing" vocals that I'm not used to, so I can't really tell what to look for, and therefore I can't spot?

If that's the case, then I hope I *never* get to spot it as it really seems to drive some people here up the wall... :-)
I totally relate! Whenever recording of Ayu's lives are released, every time people talk about how "edited" the vocals were, even past concerts. There are a handful of instances in very recent years where I definitely hear some kind of processing or filter on her vocals. But most of the time I don't hear what others seem to claim and I have a critical ear.
You are lucky if you can't hear it because yes, it is not pleasing to the ears.