Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [News] evolution - Theme song for 2012 Japanese Movie "Helter Skelter"
View Single Post
Old 13th October 2012, 03:02 AM
End of the World Initiate

Saw the film today, it was good. I enjoyed the manga more, but the film was still worth going to see. The film definitely sacrifices some of the characterisation and plot for style, I remember the manga feeling a lot fuller and complete. The detective side of the plot felt rushed and incomplete, and rather like a side note to the glamour of celebrity. Visually, it was great - loads of vivid colours and striking outfits. It almost felt like the opposite of the manga, but the same message. The film was a beautiful world, while in the manga it felt rather (intentionally) empty and lost, like Ririko. I also though the sex scenes were generally poor, although some of them later in the film were better - maybe she filmed them later? The first few just seemed really awkward and over acted, they even got a few laughs.

Also, because of the promo, you do very much feel like you're watching Erika as Erika, not Erika as Ririko the character. Not sure if this is good or bad, I'm leaning to bad because I felt like Ririko was much more interesting in the manga. Again though, the film is 100% style over substance. Everything is lifted from the manga and made into a moving photoshoot. It makes sense with the beauty fetish in the story, but that point wasn't as poignant in the film, even though the film is a quest for beauty and the downfall of the perfect beauty. Does that make sense? I expected this though, people said the same about Sakuran having good ideas, but them being overpowered by a need for style, and how it just didn't cut if for so long.

Eeer... what else? Probably give it a 7/10. I like Perfect Blue a lot lot more, which is also an idol breakdown with sex and violence, but more psychological horror than a commentary on beauty and the transience of the idol industry, so they're only casually related by idols and breakdowns.

I will say, I would DEFINITELY have enjoyed the film more if I hadn't read the manga.

Last edited by relmy; 13th October 2012 at 03:08 AM.