Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~sixxxxxx~
Thread: [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~sixxxxxx~
View Single Post
Old 13th August 2015, 10:20 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Really, 30k for a mini-album is a great result! Especially in an Oricon world full of gimmicks (not aimed at DCT, more aimed at the countless K-pop/J-pop idols with their handshakes and entry to events/concerts for buying X number of copies of their single...). I'm not familiar if Ayu had any, but I'm guessing not.

Dreams Come True's best-of sold so well because it is a 3-disc career best-of priced insanely well. 3500 yen for 50 songs! Compare that to 1800-3200 yen for Ayu's 6 songs.

I don't think them being a group is the reason why it sells so well. They are very well respected and for good reason. They're versatile with their music, especially in the last decade. Someone similarly well respected, Yuming, released a best-of that was exactly the same: career best-of, 50-ish songs for 3500 yen, and it sold just as well as DCT's.

The Oricon chart is becoming less relevant. You can't really compare numbers between artists anymore like you could 10, 20 years ago. It went from being like comparing peaches and plums to comparing peaches and dog food. Uh yeah, they're both food...and that's it. So don't be upset Ayu lost to a release so completely different to her. She still had the best-selling original album (mini or full) for the week! Good job Ayu!