Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [romaji & translation] Lady Dynamite
View Single Post
Old 8th April 2010, 02:02 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oji-i-san View Post
OK!
sorry if my english is so strange that you can't understand it. haha

Well, this is my translation of the related lines.

And before writing my interpretation, I'd like to point out what I believe: Women sometimes/usually act as if they are interested in a guy himself and in a story told by a guy when she talks with a guy in a restaurant, club, etc.

This is a kind of etiquette/manner, I think. People should show an interest when they talk with other people, don't they?

In the case of women and men, following this etiquette/manner, women might show a little coquettish glance (in order to act as if she's interested in the guy himself) and nod at the guy (in order to act as if she's interested in the story told by the guy) when they are talking.

Is it OK so far??

Let's go back to the song.

She has been doing so (= giving the guy a coquettish glance and nodding at him).

But the guy's story is too long. As a result, she's got tired. This is the situation of the lyrics.

That's all of my interpretation.

On the other hand, my understanding of masa-san's interpretation is like this:
She dislikes the guy. She doesn't look straight at him. She only glances at him occasionally. And she's got tired of doing so.

OK, and here's my question to masa-san.
How do you interpret this line "相槌を打つ声も2トーン下がってきたわ 残念ながら" ?
I believe this line clearly shows that she has been trying to nod at him positively and that she's got tired of/from doing so unfortunately.

And here's second question.
In that case, how can she nod at him positively while she doesn't look straight at him?

Well, I think I'm doing a very unwelcome thing: explaining lyrics logically ^^; I believe each person may interpret lyrics as she/he likes. ^^
I wanna say that, when I use 上目遣い、it's not because I am interesting in the other person, or I wanna date the person, etc. I am neutral with the person, but I don't really want to talk to this person, so I just look up my eyes. Usually this is done with the person who is much taller than me, because I am quite short too... There's no feelings about "I am acting cute" for me. ahaha,, I just wanna say that.

"相槌を打つ声も2トーン下がってきたわ 残念ながら"

If it were me, I would interpret this way: She has been saying things like "you're so great," or "yes, okay you're so right," and she has gotten really tired about it, and then her voice just keeps going lower and lower, because she has really lost interest in talking to the person. I dont think this has to do with some love situation, just that she's tired of saying yes all the time. Does it make sense?