Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - TROUBLE TOUR 2019-2020 A -misunderstood- II
View Single Post
Old 30th August 2019, 11:54 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Thank you for uploading, it's indeed pretty interesting for Japanese audiences! Though Idk how much that is only because of X Japan's status in Japan.
Though I'd be a bit careful with generalizing like that in general, cause do you listen and attend so many lives from different peformers that you know how the audiences react?
In general concerts of artists have more fans and are livelier from my experience. E.g. Kuu and Black Pink concerts in Japans always have pretty wild reactions.
I think I have a pretty decent grasp, yeah. And of course, at individual artists own concerts, crowds can be a bit more lively (I would hope so at least!) But yeah, a lot of audiences look pretty dead lol. And at any end of year music show or special etc these last several years, the audiences seem on life support.

Quote:
Not to forget the music market is much more segmented now which is also why reaching such a big status and popularity like X Japan is harder nowadays. Music Station and other music shows e.g. have dwindling ratings, Music Station was just pushed back an hour and it is the only prime time music show remaining.
Definitely agree with this. But I think it's yet another thing that shows that creativity and music in general is just not being as sought after.

Quote:
And about your experience with regression of people expressing themselves in Japan - hm, I was living in Kansai for about a year in 2017 and my experience is a bit different, but Kansai people are usually a bit different anyway and it might not have been long enough.
Yeah, Kansai people are called "hot hearted" for a reason. I lived in Tokyo from 2010-2015 and worked at Japanese public school by day and was a bartender at neighborhood Izakaya by night, then later at an Irish pub; so I feel I really saw quite a large cross-section of people and experiences (as most bartenders do.) I also lived near Hiroshima from 1993-1996. And have visited every year once or twice a year since 2004 to present. And yeah, I do feel that Japan has regressed in terms of expression and emotion and that has reflected itself in the current state of the music industry, but there is no way to really "prove" that. I could go way in depth about how Japan's various societal problems and the rise of "herbivore men" and everything have all converged to facilitate this, but that feels like it would need to become a college essay and seems way too daunting, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron View Post
^ SunshineSlayer's experience has been my overall experience of Japan as well. I've seen a huge shift since the first time I was there in 2004 until now (having been there again in 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2018).

The main context being that the youth of the late 90's/early 2000's were the "lost generation" in Japan. The first who really were post-bubble, and trying to normalize life. I think, in general, they were much more outward looking, trying to find their place in society, who they were, and more interested in a global world. The current generation of youth have been born into their own time, and global connectedness is commonplace, and really not that interesting to them - they're much more focused on their little bubble.
Thanks for backing me up because it's a really hard thing to pin down, and you hate having to generalize so much.

The post-bubble generation and the bubble generation itself were very outward looking. Some could even argue that the bubble generation were a little too out there, lol. I've seen some old primetime variety shows that flat out had nudity in them with no censor. Can't imagine that ever appearing now on the totally sanitized Japanese tv channels.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 31st August 2019 at 12:06 AM.