Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - 『A BALLADS 2』on sale 2021.03.12
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2021, 02:56 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

While I'm looking forward to the release (particularly for remasters of tracks like -hopefully- forgiveness) as it is one I have been hoping for for a long time, I think that the fact that there are two CDs doesn't bode well for potential re-arrangements and covers. Like others have mentioned, I feel like we're going to receive something like A SUMMER BEST, which is essentially a playlist + new song.

I hope I'm wrong, but this has been the format of Ayu's compilation albums for a while now. tbh, I think that Ayu should have gone with one disc as opposed to two, to produce a stronger album. i.e. including the best of the best between 2003-2020, as opposed to a wider selection. Alternatively, committing to a meaningfully selected and curated track list is also easier to achieve on one disc. This is the strength of the original A BALLADS - I mean, a handful of great Ayu ballads between 1998-2002/3 were not included, but the album is still fantastic.

Anyway, I'm really excited for the release regardless, and I think that there have been hints of renewed creativity expressed by Ayu and her team, so I hope that they blow my expectations out of the water. But if they don't, that's cool too, I'm looking forward to ballad remasters.