Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - 『A BALLADS 2』on sale 2021.03.12
View Single Post
Old 14th January 2021, 09:14 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuCanada View Post
I am for sure in the minority but I started to follow Ayu in 2005 so when A Ballad was released I wasn't following her and to me, I always saw that compilation as a filler for hungry fans waiting for new material. I eventually bought it to complete my collection, but I don't think I listen to it fully more than once, I only kept Rainbow and A song for XX on my iPod. Aside from A Song for XX, I don't really like any of the new arrangements (especially if I have to compare them with their original versions). I love Hanabi, Dolls, and Voyage, but I would rather enjoy them on the Rainbow album. I am suprised to see that people seems to praise it so much.

I did enjoyed A best and A Best 2 both versions though and I still listen to them often.

I read this twice and you and you brought an argument at the end that basically nullified what you said. If any, A BEST 2 was a boring, typical best-of album.
I started to listen to Ayumi after STEP you and had a hard time getting into anything prior. That aside, I think both A BEST (as it captured a special feeling in its complete package, circumstances, etc.) and A BALLADS are her strongest compilation albums. A BALLADS is no best of album, its a collection and they made sure it has a remarkable flow and feeling in how they put the songs and rearrangements. Again, the full package (cover, RAINBOW, etc.) made it complete.

You are right tho, it was her starting to go down in sales, but the songs included were all know and loved by the public. I highly disagree with it being a "milking"-release, cause a lot of thought and work went into it (which songs go on it, which songs a remade and even two new songs on it - A song for XX even feels like a new song here too).

I personally like these kind of releases - especially when they offer something new. If they don't, there is no need for a physical release at all in tis digital age.