Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of TROUBLE
Thread: [Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of TROUBLE
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:40 PM
Startin' Protector

I think the comparison works when we're talking about Western fans, because I was around in the early 00s and listening to both ayu and namie and... yeah, the air online was definitely the opposite it is today. From Break the Rules -> early QoHP era things were dire for Namie fans. I got into her through Put em Up and woo boy the crap I got, lol.

I do compare Ayu's trajectory more to Seiko and Akina though. Seiko is probably more comparable, but Akina is my second favorite artist after Ayu and I see a looooot of similarities. But it also makes me kinda happy because Akina is still releasing great albums (well, I really loved her recent 80's cover album and FIXER and I'm probably one of the only people who liked DIVA) and doing her thing. Of course, it would only be worth it if it's what Ayu wants to do. She's said as much, but I can imagine all the constant criticism doesn't help one's mood.

My partner is the huge Seiko fan in our relationship and through her I've learned all about THE DARK TIME OF THE '90S lol. There are definitely similarities in terms of public opinion WRT getting more westernized and the relationship dramas. Unfortunately Akina's big downfall moment was the suicide attempt :\ Her image never quite recovered through the 90s and she's had a lot of issues, both mental and physical (hey-o scabies), since then. I have a feeling Ayu's career is gonna be a lot like theirs in that she'll be an active legend doing her thing. She'll get some press for new releases, she'll have her hardcore fans and those that come and go as the nostalgic winds claim them, and people will be analyzing and picking apart their careers like we are now lol.

Basically, being a top J-pop diva is hazardous to one's health. Some definitely navigate it better than others, though. I hope Ayu can stay strong and keep on doing her thing, whatever that is.