Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu's lyrics meanings.. Help?
View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2005, 06:30 AM
Replace Initiate

Cool, another Tori fan!! Yeah, trying to figure out the meaning behind all of her Boys for Pele album is taxing to say the least, but it was so worth it... i just weep whenever i listen to the album now.

For anyone who's reading this thread and doesn't really pay THAT much attention to ayu's lyrics, you should. Once you really get them figured out, there are some that will make you REALLY feel. Once you know the lyrics to a tear-worthy song, you WILL cry listening to it. Ayu's lyrics really are very very good. Songs like "Who...", "ever free", and "teddy bear" might make you cry regardless, but "Far away", "POWDER SNOW", and "HANABI" will definitely make you cry once you know what they're saying.

Some lyrics of hers are just brilliant, not necessarily sad. They just make you think. Some of my favorites are "SURREAL", "Catcher in the Light" (only four lines, but, like a haiku, they hit you hard in a very short time), "forgiveness", and "everywhere nowhere".

Other songs are very good at using poetic devices like alliteration ("Connected"), which is REALLY rare in japanese lyrics, repetition of structure ("ourselves"), and references to well-known sayings ("Moments"). Some just have wonderful imagery, like "Dearest", "appears", and "Fly high".

And has anyone noticed how often ayu quotes herself, making sequels to songs? "And then" quotes "A Song for XX", "Replace" quotes "Who..." (which is why it's replaced "Who..." as her closing song in concert, it's the sequel to it), "vogue" quotes "Hana", "winding road" seems to refer to "Fly high"... and there are others I can't think of, but she does do this often.

Alot of thought & creativity really go into Ayu's lyrics.

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 2nd September 2005 at 06:40 AM.