Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu is now on Spotify
View Single Post
Old 15th January 2017, 11:00 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Agreed with labello

Spotify does not stop people in buying CDs.
I still think everyone sees value in owning physicals copies. When the album is good, people are more willing to buy it. I would not have bought Birdy's Beautiful Lies without streaming first, for example. Spotify gives enough credit to the artist. Also, because of streaming I have discovered lots of new artists I enjoy and really want to see live. Spotify is easy to use, easy to share and a much better platfom to get to know an artist, than buying random CDs, just because you only enjoyed one hit they kept playing on the radio. With Spotify we still support the artist. Streaming does not stop them from releasing new music.

Also, I really won't mind if companies decided to make less physical copies. Producing is expensive and a lot of waste of material. When you see Ayu's physical sales for examply, it is always around 15k. I would say: release first 10k copies and restock when more people want it. It is less production, less expensive, the product becomes more exclusive (maybe even rare) and the 'waste' is well, easier to handle. That why I don't agree with releases like A BEST -15th Anniversairy Version-. I hate it to say, but it is waste. I care much less when I can listen to the album online. In that way, I still support Ayu in making new music.

It comes to mind that not every album is available on Spotify. Taylor Swift and Beyoncé have decided not to stream their latest album. I don't think it effected their sales in any way differently.