Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - [Official Message] New Album; Tour: ayumi hamasaki PREMIUM SHOWCASE ~Feel the love~
View Single Post
Old 11th April 2014, 03:25 AM
SCAR Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
I notice a lot of people in the fandom have issues with production sounding "dated"... has Ayu ever kept ahead of the trends? She's never been an innovator musically. Instead, she has her own distinct style that is poorly imitated by other artists (Tomomi Itani being a recent example, and I think she's totally throwing shade at her in 'My Way')

Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' has production that hasn't aged well at all (major New Jack Swing influence), but that doesn't take away from it being an amazing pop album. Great music is timeless. Stop being trend snobs!

Ayu does "dated" R&B very well (LOVE n HATE, In The Corner, Tell me why). I actually hope Darkchild goes for an early noughties R&B sound because I think it suits her well. Heavy bass and snare, plz!
When I saw Darkchild named as a producer, I looked at his recent production discography and unfortunately he's dabbled in non-r&b music over the past few years, so it's a possibly Ayu might get something electronic out of him, which make sense given the other producers she's working with.

After Ayu's last album and Pray, I don't think I can take any further cookie-cutter productions, so I'm glad she's moving to more experimental territory (well, at least for Ayu anyway).

Last edited by Tony G; 11th April 2014 at 03:27 AM.