![]() |
| · Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations · |
|
#61
|
||||
|
||||
|
Um... yeah I've been in this mindset for quite a while, every once in a while she'll release something really neat that stands out to me, the last song being Mirrorcle World. But otherwise her music is really... standard and not awesome like other songs she's done in the past.
And this whole argument about becoming immune to the artist for following for them for so long is a joke lol, I have several other artists I've listened to for years and years and I still like their new stuff.
__________________
"He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea..." |
|
#62
|
||||
|
||||
|
I think music evolves with time; there's hardly an artist who has remained stagnant with their style over the years. Some evolve for the better, some for the worst (e.g. I don't really care for AAA's recent stuff, but I LOVE their older material), but I think changing tastes/styles over time influences an artist's material. For example, I don't think Britney Spears' earlier works would have really worked today; music can evolve (e.g. Toxic, 3, Circus, etc.) to match the ever-changing taste.
Basically, I think Ayu's works have actually evolved in a sense, going from a more pop-ish sound to electronic, rock, and other experimental styles many artists in Japan may not be able to pull off like her. Can you imagine Otsuka Ai pulling off "Microphone", Amuro Namie getting away with "Sexy Little Things", or Koda Kumi singing "Virgin Road" as well as Ayu? We all have to admit how well-rounded Ayu actually is, she's amazing. I think because I've already gone through my "apathy stage" I can say all this (experimenting with different artists), because NO ONE can compare to her and her versatility. Sure, she may not be able to do R-n-B like Utada or Amuro, nor can she go SUPER cutesy like Otsuka Ai, but she's still damn good. I think the point that "this is Ayu, her music, her standards" was covered already, but I want to reiterate it. She's one of the only artists to have basically full artistic control of her material, so what we get is what she wants to release and share with her fans. I've come to appreciate everything she's released, and will continue to until she decides to retire. (And as you can see, "Days" matched the Japanese public well, so I'm sure the Japanese still appreciate her current material.) |
|
#63
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
![]() As for those paying attention to what's happening in the music, well that is different from person to person. Its hard to say how far people go to fully understand her songs. Some people can't understand Japanese, and don't go around searching for her lyrics. They take the songs at face value, so to speak. I think perhaps to be able to really determine the best answer is to perhaps ask someone who has just started considering themselves her fan. When they are in that stage of just picking out random songs to listen to, not knowing the chronological order in which the songs came out perfectly and the styles seem mixed. When perhaps they aren't informed as to when her peaks have been. What songs would they choose as her best? And why?
__________________
❤ |
|
#64
|
||||
|
||||
|
Naturally, in time, her music will change. She releases a lot each year compared to most artists, so I've come to expect that her music won't be as consistent now.
I do agree though, this year especially has been so uninspiring. MOON/ blossom and crossroad were such bland releases, and the same can be said for RnR Circus, which for me is her worst album to date. But she has restored my faith with L now, that's one of her best singles in a long time! |
|
#65
|
||||
|
||||
|
Well I have followed Ayu since 2002 and I don't think R'n'RC's songs are that much diffrent from like Secret, (mu) or GUILTY actually. Of course she changes some, but I still feel the same theme in them all. R'n'RC actually reminds me a bit of (mu) the most I got to say. There is the rock, there is the emotional songs, the more new thinking-new style songs and such.
I just think that you got to outgrown Ayu. And that is nothing more then that actually. You like her old song because of the love for them before, but the new songs just doesn't get under your skin anymore.
__________________
![]() [Video] Key ~eternal tie ver.~_______LJ Blog________[Video] A History [BIG SALE! Ayu CDs/DVDs/Goods/Ayupans and more!] AHS married to Maro ~13/1-2010~ Spoiler:
|
|
#66
|
|||
|
|||
|
I actually think I follow ayu because she's a good person, not because I'm THAT interested in her music.
It doesn't hold m attention much, though there are bits that do. Not saying she sucks, but...I'm different now I guess. |
|
#67
|
|||
|
|||
|
MOON, blossom, crossroad, Virgin Road, Sweet Season, Last angel, SEVEN DAYS WAR - they all have a throwback Ayu sound. If they were released during her prime (with her older voice), they would all be hits IMO.
Now, if your problem is her voice being unsuitable for these songs now.. I can see where you're coming from. But melodically, arrangement-wise, and probably even lyrically - it's clear she's going for a throwback sound and I think they are very similar to her older classics. So I agree with Love Shine that nostalgia-factor can play a HUGE role in the quality of songs. She's also a lot less visible nowadays. It's like her "eras" are blending in with each other and overlapping. It's harder to distinguish one from the other... She's barely a regular on television. Her new PV's are bland. As a visual artist she's been really quite unimpressive, I'll admit. I think this kind of stuff CAN affect the overall quality of her songs. I think one reason MJ's Invincible was received so poorly is because there was barely ANY visual association - and not good coming from an artist who was very image/visual-based. I'm also kinda tired of people wanting Ayu to only make upbeat/fierce songs. She does what she's comfortable with. She's not trying to be overly contemporary, she's kind of like the Japanese Celine Dion (not particularly in vogue anymore, older fanbase, sings mostly ballads) and that's cool. Y'all obviously want her to be like Lady Gaga and these other Japanese tricks, but it ain't gonna happen. 1) Ayu is a different kind of "fierce" 2) She absolutely cannot pull off R&B/trashy dance music 3) She's too classy for it 4) She strives to keep a very J-POP sound rather than some of her peers who are almost embarrassingly "Westernized" in both their image and music |
|
#68
|
||||
|
||||
|
This is gonna sound rude...but why the hell do these threads come up every 2 months?? If you don't like her current music don't listen to it. It's not hard.
And she ain't gonna change so there's no point in getting your panties in a bunch about 'how much better' her older stuff is. And it seriously bugs the crap out of me when people say she doesn't do new things anymore. What are Sexy little things, Dont look back, Last Angel, Sparkle etc then? I guess they don't really exist because she only makes song like MOON nowadays. End rant.
__________________
We're All Mad Here. Last edited by kagami; 11th October 2010 at 09:05 AM. |
|
#69
|
|||
|
|||
|
^lol some people aren't up with the times of the fast paced ahs threads that get insta-killed because AHS people bash stuff to death.
The OP seems to be sincere with his post. This is a large forum. This is what happens. Like back in the days when everyone thought they discovered the fat star wars kid. Anyway...@Coelacanth: Throwback sound = / = the same sound. I don't think this stuff would fly back then. Maybe on RAINBOW lol But then, if we had these songs back then, the definition of what Ayu was releasing would be a lot broader, because it would include all of these songs, of this style. Therefore, people would already be used to it by now and it wouldn't be so new and different :/ In any case, I wish the nostalgia factor played a bigger role for me, because the compositions on all of these songs are really lackluster, and not memorable for me, at all. And...if nostalgia in these particular songs plays such a big role for people...shouldn't people be liking these new songs more as they are released now...? Quote:
I just think it's interesting that so many people who were in love with the "old" Ayu, don't love the "new" one, so much. And I think it's just another testament of how her music is different now. Whether for better or worse, is not really what is important, I think. I understand the nostalgia factor for people who have personal connections with the older stuff and probably see it as better just because of that, but, I don't think that's all there is to it. Her music has changed. It's simple. Some people are going to like it, other's aren't.
__________________
☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆ - The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread - |
|
#70
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I thought RnRC was a huge improvement over NEXT LEVEL, I think that's the one album I don't really listen to as much; I thought RnRC was more diverse in its experimentation than NEXT LEVEL. I'm not trying to argue with you, just contrasting what you said with my opinion. Haha. |
|
#71
|
|||
|
|||
|
I feel like she is releasing too much ballads. Although I must say that MOON and crossroad are amazing songs
and Last Angel is amazing.I'm waiting for an upbeat song.
__________________
| Set by me | I love Stargate SG-1 even more now! Cuz in episode 9x12 there was a person called |
|
#72
|
||||
|
||||
|
I loved it when she released a summer single, angry rock single, and the ballad single. She hasn't done that for two years now and I feel sad. :/ And I agree that there's WAY too many ballads being released these days. I wish she stopped this for a while lol.
And I miss (miss)understood Ayu so much too. She was good, amazing and absolute love for me during that era. :/ I also loved GUILTY but everything after that has been mostly disappointing to me (and still Rock'n'Roll Circus is absolute love for me). But I wish she won't release a album full of ballads. I want more mindblowing rock songs like on her older albums like Secret, GUILTY and (miss)understood. *_____* |
|
#73
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
That would be like comparing following Michael Jackson and ayu, but Michael released something new every 5 years or more and the ammount of official songs he made doesn't even get to close to what ayu did lol It's a bit of a joke to expect someone who release an album every single year for several years to always be making new impressing stuff and surpassing their past. This is what I would call a joke, tbh lol
__________________
♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite |
|
#74
|
||||
|
||||
|
well, it's always been disliking and liking on ayu's music..
we can't always love her works though.. as of now, I really like her music.. they're getting better... I dislike her music around (m)u..maybe it's just too westernized, since she covered almost all the songs from sweetbox.. but I still enjoy it though, like Rainy day... startin' but it didn't happen like i'm with Rock 'n' Roll Circus.. and until L single, I'm so in love with the new songs, Virgin Road, Sweet Season and Last angel is EPIC!! |
|
#75
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Has anyone seemed to noticed she's dropped her rock/electronic edge (generally speaking) and is making more sorta boring old fashion power pop sound? Its the same exact instruments used in the exact same style all with similar lyrics since RnRC. Last edited by hsienko; 11th October 2010 at 02:16 PM. |
|
#76
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Michael Jackson, but I really have the feeling that if it were for him to release an album every single year, people would've gotten sick of him just in that period. Actually, quite a lot of old fans from him go saying how "the old Michael Jackson was more inspired and much better. I hear people say the same thing about Madonna. And I actually think those artists have newer stuff that really are as as good if compared to someof theirolder stuff.
__________________
♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite |
|
#77
|
||||
|
||||
|
Seriously for my case I can't totally disagree or agree with you.
For me, it has always been depending on my mood. When I am feeling sad I will dig out all ayu's ballad to listen, old or new. When I am feeling all hyper and energetic, I will listen to her remix songs or upbeat songs, even her recent songs. It all depends on my mood. However, there was really a phase when I kind of get bored with Ayu and started listening to other singers. And then after that period of time, I went back to listening to Ayu's songs, be it new or old. It's like a cycle, it just goes on. And I never find it fustrating or disliking. :p |
|
#78
|
||||
|
||||
|
I miss my emotions when albums was leaked.
I remember when (miss) was leaked and i was downloading song per song, and i felt like "omg, every each song it's so unique! so great!" even the Secret was no so perfect, there was kiss o'kill i cried to! when guilty was realesed none of albums tracks made me "wow!"... next level was A HUGE diss for me, RnRc started to change my feelings after Microphone and Slt (at least i was listening to something on and on, and again and again..) but when the singles comes up... ok, they're ok, i really love Last Angel, but rest is like meh, they're ok. I don't listen to them. Sometimes, maybe. But they don't catch my ear, they don't make me emotionally even. |
|
#79
|
||||
|
||||
|
Those of you complaining that she's releasing too many ballads... perhaps you want to think that MOON/blossom, crossroad, L are all ballad singles because
IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO ASSURE HER #1 WEEKLY FOR THESE 3 SINGLES FOR THAT DAMN STREAK God, we know Japan eat ballads. Look at SEASONS, Dearest & Days... Japan loves such songs, and these are the "hits" from Ayu to the people most closely related to her. But about how her music has "changed"... I gotta agree with emiko. Her music HAS changed, but no one can say for sure if it's for the better or for the worse cos we all have our personal preferences and perceptions. Perhaps the 48th-50th singles have a "throwback" to the "old Ayu", but again, I think they are songs with influences from her current sound... Last angel for example, the style it had, really reminds me of LOVEppears, but I don't think it sounds like anything like And Then, immature, etc... there's a similar style, but the sound and everything is different, if you get what I mean. Ayu keeps moving forward, and so her music keeps changing with each step she takes... granted I gotta say, A Song For xx, appears, Duty, I am..., RAINBOW, Memorial address, Moments, HEAVEN/STEP you, JEWEL/BLUE BIRD, Together When..., Days, Microphone/Sexy little things... distinct songs off her albums I guess, but all have the "Ayu" sound, as different as they may be... I think the bottomline is that Ayu changes, and so do we. Maybe we can adapt to her changes, and maybe we can't. There's no right or wrong, and it's only your choice... no one can dictate you.
__________________
YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO |
|
#80
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|
![]() |