[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~Party Queen~ II - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2012, 08:05 PM
fairyland Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuXAyu-fan View Post
Kumi has received a lot of negative feedback as well because of her "shotgun" wedding. So it's not exactly positive either.
Yeah, everyone knew that the only reason that they got married was because she got pregnant. Although, I'm kinda happy that it happened. She's getting older and her career was taking up so much of her time that if it happened when she was finally not busy she would be much older. Plus, I LOVE Kenji/Back-On, so I couldn't be happier.

But, I think that even Ayu's marriage would look a little bit worse to the public. Even if Kuu's was shotgun due to pregnancy, Ayu's was still really sudden, plus she married a non-Japanese guy. And that can annoy some people. Then, they got divorced, and I'm sure many people were like "I knew it, marrying that white guy "

I agree about wanting Ayu to sell well as a fan. But, the chart position, so long as its in like, the top 10, I'm not too worried about. No doubt avex just cares about how many copies it sells, because that's where the money is. Ayu caring about sales is a bit trickier. She needs to be able to have artictic freedom, but at the same time she needs to please fans and gain sales to help fuel what she wants to do.

Old 27th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^ Ia.

I think comparisons are good, I always do it between them since in terms of album sales their numbers have been very close together since the past what... 4 albums? Whenever one of them releases an album earlier than the other, it gives an indication of how the other is going to perform.

The only thing I hate is when the discussion turns nasty and no one can deny this happens all the time, on every release. The ayu-stans are like 'IT BETTER OUTSELL KUMI'S', kuu-stans retaliate and then it just turns ugly. As long as crap like that doesn't happen (but it always does), I like the comparisons and think it's informative.

ANYWAY, I'm really happy with Ayu's first week. She's already passed 100k, hopefully her sales don't drop too fast and are steady. I'm just wondering how much the different versions helped boost the sales? I think from now on, she should continue with the different packagings and versions (as should Kumi), if TV promo is gonna be so sparse

♔ Sexy Queen ♔

Old 27th March 2012, 09:09 PM
July 1st Initiate

Hm. A BEST 3, eh?

Let's see what we have...

01 Startin'
02 Born To Be...
03 BLUE BIRD
04 Beautiful Fighters
05 JEWEL
06 momentum
07 1 LOVE
08 glitter
09 fated
10 talkin' 2 myself
11 decision
12 Together When...
13 Marionette
14 (don't) Leave me alone
15 Mirrorcle World
16 Days
17 GREEN
18 Rule
19 Sparkle
20 Curtain call
21 NEXT LEVEL
22 Sunrise ~LOVE is ALL~
23 Sunset ~LOVE is ALL~
24 You were...
25 BALLAD
26 Sexy little things
27 Microphone
28 Don't look back
29 Lady Dynamite
30 MOON
31 blossom
32 crossroad
33 Virgin Road
34 Sweet Season
35 Last angel
36 Love song
37 do it again
Holy fvck!
38 progress
39 ANother song feat URATA NAOYA
40 Why... feat. JUNO
41 beloved
42 BRILLANTE

(and there are also the sentimental ""concert favorites"" MY ALL, RED LINE ~for TA~ and SEVEN DAYS WAR)

So, holy fvck. Yup. We have more than enough for an A BEST 3. Perhaps she'll make -RED- -YELLOW- -BLUE- now; for happy songs, sad songs, and songs she can't quite put her hands on.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:12 PM
fairyland Initiate

Did previous A BESTs use promoted album tracks?

Old 27th March 2012, 09:13 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard from Hellsing View Post
There's one thing I don't understand about Ayu's and many other artists sales in Japan in general. Her sales r pretty much going ONLY downhill after RAINBOW (I'm not counting best albums here). So it's not about music quality. If u look at western artists u will see that some albums sell better some don't sell that good. They have their ups and downs. Here sales just keep on going downhill. Is she like losing 100k fans every year or Japan just doesn't bout her anymore. Seems like Namie is the only artist who really has ups and downs. And again looking at Namie you can' say it's bout physical sales only.
Actually, Ayu's studio album sales as decreesing since I am..., as it failed to outsell Duty. Still, this is pretty common, an artist have a peak, sells tons, and after that, the sales falls. As artists usually don't release albums every year on the west, the time between one high and another seens to be shorter, but this is not the case... It usually takes the time of a whole generation of teenagers for an artist to be redicovered by the public, as teenagers are the main responsable for huge sales and hits and the actual generation tend to "hate" and avoid the past one... Considering the final breath of Ayu's peak was in 2004 with the ending of Memorial Address era (7 years), it still is less years than Namie took to climb it to the top, for example (8 years), with the difference that Namie failed harder and was far worst seen by the public at the time. Ayu's sales are falling slowly and from times to times she still is able to have minnor hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
The second point though I don't really think is relevant. She could have easily performed 28+ dates at her peak (and in larger venues) but she was just a lot more busy then.
I will have to disagree here... Even if she could sell out 30 dates at the biggest Japan domes at her peak (doubt that ), a 28 dates arena tour in Japan after almost 15 years of fame is not small deal on Japan (or anywhere else considering she is touring only one country). As far as I notice, most japanese performers don't have tours this long or with this amount of disponible seats not even on their peak... If her sales go downhill and she still is able to tour like that, like Seiko or Yuming, I'm pretty sure she will be ok. The rules of fame change when u r already an old act... Hits take longer to happen, albums don't sell as much as before, but once u have a name as a live performer, even if u r not the biggest thing anymore, u will hardly being forgotten (Yuming last concert had 70+ hall dates, for example)... And considering Ayu's lasts efforts, and how they were received, I would say she is pretty much already seen as a top performer.

People are worried that her sales will fall to a point where her budget will suffer, I'm just pointing out that she never made this much money from live touring at her peak... While all of her tours since 2009 had a good number of dates.

Madonna for example, is hardly getting hits on the US, the last being Music, from 2000... and she is hardly getting hits worldwide since Hung Up from 2005... But she still is outselling Beyonce, Britney and Gaga everytime she tours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiholic★ View Post
A Best is a collection of popular tracks, being or not being singles... A Best 2 covers from evolution to Bold & Delicious, so, A Best 3 will cover from (miss)understood album tracks on... What means Ladies Night for example has more than good chances of making it into the compilation....^^

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 27th March 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:15 PM
GREEN Initiate

^ actually I would consider Madonna's last hit in America to be 4 minutes... (with timberland and timberlake)
which was just a few years ago.
But to comment, Madonna doesn't sell like she use too, but her last concert, Hard Candy is the biggest concert ever (in terms of sales, I think just for solo artist though...)

A BEST wasn't just singles though...
it was what she thought was best and I think fan Favorites..

Last edited by TeamAyu2004; 27th March 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:23 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiholic★ View Post
A BEST didn't (of course because there was hardly any "promoted album tracks" back then) but she included A Song for XX and Who..., A BEST 2 did; it did a *****load of them.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:08 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
^ actually I would consider Madonna's last hit in America to be 4 minutes... (with timberland and timberlake)
which was just a few years ago.
But to comment, Madonna doesn't sell like she use too, but her last concert, Hard Candy is the biggest concert ever (in terms of sales, I think just for solo artist though...)

A BEST wasn't just singles though...
it was what she thought was best and I think fan Favorites..
4 Minutes didn't have a big chart or radio life, and can be hardly considered a classic on her discography... It came, made some noise and kinda vanished, like a lot of Ayu recent #1 singles...

And yeap, Sticky & Sweet Tour is the highest grossing tour ever by a solo act, and the 4th overall (still, it had 85 dates, while all the ones above it had 110+ dates).

Old 27th March 2012, 11:18 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
A Best is a collection of popular tracks, being or not being singles... A Best 2 covers from evolution to Bold & Delicious, so, A Best 3 will cover from (miss)understood album tracks on... What means Ladies Night for example has more than good chances of making it into the compilation....^^
Ah! Of course! (miss)understood album tracks! That means we have two more songs. I think A BEST 3 isn't something that's uncalled for right about now
Old 27th March 2012, 11:47 PM
GREEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
4 Minutes didn't have a big chart or radio life, and can be hardly considered a classic on her discography... It came, made some noise and kinda vanished, like a lot of Ayu recent #1 singles...
now your just changing the definition of what a hit is...
A hit does not equal a classic and does not mean its in the charts for a very long time.
Personally I think anything that makes it into the top 10 is a hit.
There are songs that become classics from those hits, but presumably a successful song is something that can reach number 1 (I like to think the top 10 however).
Old 28th March 2012, 12:24 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
now your just changing the definition of what a hit is...
A hit does not equal a classic and does not mean its in the charts for a very long time.
Personally I think anything that makes it into the top 10 is a hit.
There are songs that become classics from those hits, but presumably a successful song is something that can reach number 1 (I like to think the top 10 however).
Well, let me make it clear them... some songs reach the top 10, even number 1, and still, nobody cares about them. This works for almost all of Ayu's past 2006 number 1 singles, as they were released on the right day, against the right competition and relyed a lot on hardcore fanbase, 4 Minutes is just that... I wouldn't call that a hit, as IMO hit songs are well known and gets a lot of airplay, while 4 Minutes (and those ayu singles) doen't even sold that well.

Hit is a well-known successful song, I wouldn't put 4 Minutes on this category

Old 28th March 2012, 12:25 AM
fairyland Initiate

4 Minutes was played constantly when it came out where I live. It drove me craaaaazy.

Old 28th March 2012, 12:31 AM
GREEN Initiate

^ yeah.. i remember it being played like crazy as well.
I just think that person has a different definition of what a hit is..

I mean just in america alone, the song sold over 2 million copies.
was up for 2 grammys
and was reviewed positively...
what more could you want from a song?

Last edited by TeamAyu2004; 28th March 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:33 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

4 Minutes sold more than 3 million copies in the US. More than double of for example Mariah's #1 Touch My Body. Just saying.

倖田來未
浜崎あゆみ
中森明菜
松田聖子
鈴木亜美

Old 28th March 2012, 12:39 AM
GREEN Initiate

^ actually if you look on RIAA's website it was only 2x platinum...
Old 28th March 2012, 12:42 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
^ yeah.. i remember it being played like crazy as well.
I just think that person has a different definition of what a hit is..

I mean just in america alone, the song sold over 2 million copies.
was up for 2 grammys
and was reviewed positively...
what more could you want from a song?
Random people, that are not interested on pop music or on Madonna's career taking notice of it, without the needing of a strong fanbase (or 2, on this case) to have good sales...

Sorry, but most people I know from the usa don't even know this song was released, actually, those who aren't into Madonna, Justin or pop music from anywhere . Not even her fanbase seens it as a hit... at least, not something on the level of Music or Hung Up everywhere else but the USA

Old 28th March 2012, 12:58 AM
GREEN Initiate

^ thats laughable. I have to say that. (random people who don't like pop, so lets all get together and download this Madonna song)

I still don't see your logic. It doesn't matter who downloads the songs... 2 million is still 2 million singles sold (downloads or physical). And this is america alone.
Where ever it was released it was at least a top 10 hit. This songs was all over the place for a good portion of its release.
and the grammys are people who decide the best music of the year and it got two nominations. (not to say that the grammys are the end all or anyting, but it could be considered a good stepping point)

You can't say this song wasn't a hit when everything points toward it being a hit.

But this is off track of Party Queen.
I totally got my package today!
I'm still a little peeved that my half pint glasses are so small.. I mean who drinks a half pint of anything?!?
Old 28th March 2012, 12:59 AM
End of the World Initiate

I'd say out of my friends, everyone knows Hung Up and 4 Minutes, but 4 Minutes is more well liked, because of Justin I assume? I knew Hung Up (heard it everywhere), but I didn't actually know it was Madonna lol I think it's generally more popular though, my circle of friends just has a thing for Justin Timberlake lol

Either way, none of us have ever bought anything Madonna. We just acquire the best albums and jam to Like a Virgin when we're drunk.

...and I typed 4minutes into YouTube and Kpop 4minute has more views. Wow.
Old 28th March 2012, 01:00 AM
GREEN Initiate

^ lol.. i love Hung Up more as well...
But Justin does have some appeal...
Old 28th March 2012, 01:20 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisLOL? View Post
She had quite promoted singles leading up to it and the PVs were shown on TV(at least some). Ayumi had no singles and only 4 PVs in total, which apparently weren't even shown on some channels.
Closed Thread

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, oricon, party queen