[Utada Hikaru] 58th Thread: New album BAD Mode, out 19.1.2022 - Page 16 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2020, 05:27 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^okay just checked you live in Japan. Then I understand :=)
Old 10th June 2020, 10:55 PM
No way to say Initiate

Is it me but has her accent changed a little bit from living in London?
Old 21st June 2020, 02:02 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Have you guys listened to her 2008 remaster albums? I was planning to buy ULTRA BLUE but by the previews it didn't sound different. Is there any remarkable difference in them? (Like A COMPLETE songs)

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 21st June 2020, 03:19 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^they probably sound better on headphones - then again, UB was mostly made on an apple and should already be fine in it's mixing as it was mostly digital to begin with.
Old 10th July 2020, 06:14 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

"Time" will get a PV! It has been filmed in her room and it will be coming out soon. I don't expect too much from it but it's certainly better than nothing! It has a really cozy feeling to it, which fits the vibe of the song, imo.

Here's the teaser:

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 10th July 2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12th July 2020, 08:51 AM
Because of You Initiate

Hey guys! Have we seen this by miracle Hikaru?

Pretty cute
"Being part of a group like this, with you guys! is awesome! so I salute you all." (1st July 2010, 11:17 PM)
"Adiós." (8th May 2011, 02:13 PM)
Old 27th July 2020, 12:49 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

The PV for "Time" will premiere tomorrow!

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 28th July 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27th July 2020, 12:57 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

I can't wait for the music video! She's still on such a creative roll, she hasn't stepped wrong since she returned from hiatus.
Old 27th July 2020, 05:14 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
I can't wait for the music video! She's still on such a creative roll, she hasn't stepped wrong since she returned from hiatus.
Please knock on wood before we get an announcement that her next single is Boku wa kuma pt.II or something
Old 28th July 2020, 03:56 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Well, the video is out now! I really like those effects they added, that was a nice idea and rather unexpected. Definitely made the whole thing more interesting! Hikki looks absolutely breathtaking!

They used a different version for the video - it's about 1 minute and 20 seconds shorter.

Old 28th July 2020, 04:00 PM
Two of us Initiate

Love the PV! Time is quite good, but more of a grower for me.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:07 PM
too late Initiate

I liked the shortened version, makes the video feel quite right, 'cause it's very simple and could be boring if it's too long. And the atmosphere fits the music so well, even Utada making the tune before social distancing (if I turn back time...).

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 4th August 2020, 11:49 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

I was going through my files when I found an unfinished translation of mine of her Rockin' On Japan interview. I'll post it here in case anyone's interested

ROCKIN’ ON JAPAN Interview 2017 - Partial translation
Spoiler:
ROCKIN’ ON JAPAN

NOTE: Utada talks about her first album in years, Fantôme. She announced a break from her music career in 2011 to focus on 'human activities'. In those years she moved to London, lost her mother to suicide, married and had a child. She looks back on Fantôme and all that’s happened.

Q: I’ve been looking forward to interviewing you again. It’s been a while!

U: It has. Thank you for your letter.

Q: No, no. Your album was just too amazing.

U: That makes me happy. Thank you very much.

Q: Well, your album is truly wonderful. That’s why it has received so much support.

U: I guess, yeah.

Q: How do you feel about it?

U: Hmm. You never know whether something is going to sell or not, right? But this time there was a big gap between releases, many things have happened, surface-level things such as my singing style have also changed and everyone was waiting 'I wonder what she’ll release this time?' — It was my first time to release an album in such a situation. I did wonder how people would receive it, but I’m happy I got a warm response.

Q: I felt it was really worth listening to.

U: No, no, no. Actually, what surprised me was that some people felt it was musically bland. I read some comments by reviewers and I was surprised they wrote the arrangements weren’t particularly new. When I had asked some of the arrangers I’ve worked with in the past to join in, they listened to my demo’s and what I wanted to make, and they said to me "So fresh!". When we were discussing the album title, they even joked "Can’t we just call it 'Fresh'?'

Q: Hahaha. In other words, the taste of my fellow traders in this business is the traditional Utada Hikaru, the programming one, huh.

U: Yeah. Well, it’s quite glittery and pretty.

Q: I think they had a particular image in mind and they were a bit floored when you released something different.

U: I see!

Q: That’s why I think this album proved that the users have better ears than the industry figures. I also heard people around me say "Utada Hikaru is quite bland this time 'round."

U: You did? Wow.

Q: I lashed back, 'What the hell are you saying!?', of course (laughs).

U: I thought I was really pushing like never before, actually (laughs). Well, I did mature obviously, how to put it, there’s a more calm soberty to this album. Maybe that’s why people felt it was bland or not very flashy.

Q: But people did truly listen to it.

U: Yes, yes.

Q: It had a strong reaction, not just in Japan but all over the world. I think this really encouraged you. Did it?

U: Yes, it did. I felt it’s alright to do things naturally. It really gave me courage.

Q: When I first heard Manatsu no Tooriame, I was so moved I didn’t know what to do with myself. I ended up writing you a letter (laughs).

U: It made me really happy when people who make music or work closely with music told me 'Amazing!'.

Q: Thinking Utada Hikaru has become able to make this song almost made me cry.

U: (laughs) I was defenseless like never before. While I did always express the things I couldn’t say in some way or another, it wasn’t until my mother’s death — leaving my private situation suddenly exposed to everyone — that I had nowhere to hide. I felt I had no shield to guard myself with and I was able to throw everything out like 'Waah!'. It took a lot of courage to let everything come out freely and honestly. Although I still work the same way as I did before, it’s like I was working inside a forest before, whilst now I was working on a plateau, without a place to hide.

Q: That’s why your melodies and words changed.

U: Yes, I see.

[…]

Q: Why did you decide to take a break on your activities?

U: Hmm, I don’t remember when exactly I said I wanted a break, but… it was after This Is The One.

Q: How was your overseas tour?

U: It was very fun. I haven’t done many tours, so there were many firsts. Fans outside of Japan are very passionate. They’re not nervous or shy at all. They pulled me along instead of the other way around. And it was interesting to see people from many different countries and religions. It was like being at an United Nations meeting.

Q: Hahaha.

U: Really, there were people from many different cultures. Girls wearing Islamic clothing, for example. Even so, everyone would sing along to my Japanese songs. It made me feel the power of music. Some time after this, I started thinking "Is it alright to go on like this?". I had many friends who are in show business, which is very partial. I thought, "Ah, I’m becoming an entertainer!".

Q: Hahaha.

U: People often tell me "You’re very normal" when I first meet them, so I mistakenly thought I had a normal perception of things. But people only say"You’re very normal" because I wasn’t as unnormal as they had thought when they actually meet me. I’ve been in strange surroundings since I was 15 years old. I was constantly given special treatment, I didn’t have to do things normal people have to do and did things I wouldn’t have to do. I ran into more and more situations that made me realise "Ah, I’m starting to become strange". I felt I looked bad. I decided it was best to move away from Japan, where I would always special treatment, and live a normal life. To become a proper adults. That was my main reason. But if I’d go to New York, where things were already in order, I wouldn’t change much. So, I wanted to go somewhere I hadn’t lived before. Somewhere I’d have to build up my life from scratch. I decided, "I guess I’ll go to England". It’s part of the English-speaking world, after all. I had a few acquintances there, too.

I started living in England. I signed my own mobile phone contract, paid the water bill, rented a house, stuff like that. I did all those things for the first time. I started going to the supermarket every day, clean the house. Having to do something can also be bad, right? Being chased by it. Like, I can live properly if I clear this. Having nothing in particular to do, I’d frequent the library to study an African language, took lessons to learn French, things like that. I also went to a school which had totally different ideas from me, not as a student, and helped work the fields. Just interacting with people, without judging which ways of lives or ideologies are good or bad.

[...]
Old 5th August 2020, 10:51 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

That's such an interesting interview, thank you for the translation and share here. I always wondered how she'd speak on her decision to move to the UK, and she was pretty transparent about it... It's strange to imagine her doing all of those every day things in my home country I wonder how she feels about the days she spends now. It must already feel like so long ago.

I also loved reading more on her thoughts on Fantome. She's so honest about the feedback she received! I think the album has done so well since then, for me it's like a cornerstone release of the industry
Old 8th December 2020, 08:39 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

New song announced! One Last Kiss, theme for the final Rebuild of Evangelion movie, will be released digitally on January 24th, 2021, and on CD and vinyl on January 27th with her all her other Evangelion themes! The other songs appear as remastered versions, and the Apple music page for this release also seems to imply that there's a b-side?

Also, as December 9th is the 22nd anniversary of Hikki's debut, her team collected 22-song playlists from artists, media outlets and industry professionals. They're also prompting fans to make their own playlists and share them on Twitter with the hashtag #宇多田ヒカル22. If you follow hikki_staff and share your playlist by January 31st, you have a chance at winning one of 200 One Last Kiss clear files. You can find the library of playlists (and the original instructions for the campaign) here: https://www.utadahikaru.jp/22songs/index.html

Last edited by Kacku; 8th December 2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 8th December 2020, 11:32 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

super excited for One Last Kiss and its possible b-side!
Old 11th December 2020, 10:53 PM
Voyage Initiate

Yes, so happy there's another single release. Although I might try and save this one for the album!
Old 25th December 2020, 12:56 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

The preview of One Last Kiss is out in the latest EVA trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ic...ature=emb_logo
Old 25th December 2020, 07:03 PM
Interlude Initiate

Sounds like "Michi", it's ok.

★ Visit Please ★
My tumblr | Koda Kumi Mexico FP

Old 25th December 2020, 09:32 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote: