Ayu and Religion - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2005, 02:39 PM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

I have never heard that she mentioned about any religions. So I think she is not into any religions like many Japanese. But not being into any religions is not the same as not being religious at all, because there is Shintou in Japan. The main characteristics of Shintou are
1. There are many many gods in nature.
2. To wish good harvest and prosperity.
3. To value purity very much.
Shintou is in the base of Japanese culture and I think many Japanese are unconsciously Shintoic (if this word is correct). Why do the Japanese love nature? Because we think every life is important. Why are the Japanese good at manga and animation? Because we have been much interested in nature and the motions of the outer world. The easiest way to realize Shintou is to watch "Princess Mononoke" directed by Miyazaki Hayao.
And please pay attention to the point 3. To value purity (especially in a mental sense) is similar with the teaching of Christianity. Pure love and self-sacrifice is praised much in Japan just like in Christian countries. Some of you had said that Japanese young generations are attracted by Western culture. But I'd like to go farther to say that Japanese culture has had many similar points with Western culture from old days. It's much easier for us to understand Western culture than to understand Indian or Arabian culture, for example. And that's why all the movies of Miyazaki Hayao were laid in Europe and Japan.
I think I am a Shintoic person and attracted by Christianity at the same time. And I suppose she feels of herself similarly.

Last edited by masa; 20th September 2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 25th September 2005, 07:01 PM
Bold & Delicious Initiate

wow good explanation masa!! yeah I think I'm also a Shintou based person and I believe in the 3 characteristics of Shintou, however I'm also a Hindu and the main characteristics are similair to Shintou - I would say that Shintou and Hinduism are kinda similar - "There are many many gods in nature", "To wish good harvest and prosperity", and "To value purity very much". I believe in many gods and in prosperity and purity.
I also think that Ayu may believe in Shintou
Old 29th September 2005, 03:35 AM
poker face Initiate

She's christian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i saw her wearing a shirt with "JESUS LOVES YOU" written on it !! (stadium tour/backstage)
either christian or catholic .. i guess !!
Old 29th September 2005, 03:42 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
I'm as sure as I possibly can be without asking her myself that Ayu's not a christian. I have a shirt with buddha on it, but I'm not buddhist (it says 'for good luck rub my tummy!')

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 29th September 2005, 05:25 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

LOL I saw a shirt like that in USA. I think exact wording - .-;; But I didn't buy it haha.
Old 29th September 2005, 05:26 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
^haha the USA's where I bought it Maybe we went to the same shops in san fransisco!

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 29th September 2005, 06:41 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Well I found in one of those Department stores, but in New Jersey.
KOHL's was its name I believe. I had alot of those funny shirt types.
Old 29th September 2005, 07:00 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

isn't it wierd how other religions aren't really important when you don't know about them...what i mean is...like how corybobory said above that he has a budda shirt but he's not buddist...i wonder what a buddist person thinks when they see it, or if you had Vishnu or some other god on your shirt, i wonder how people of the other religion feel and think...do they think we are being disrespectful? or is it the same when us christians see Ayu wearing a shirt that says "Jesus loves you," we don't really think anything of it...

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 29th September 2005, 07:05 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

I believe it is a bit disrespectful, to take a religion, and turn it into fashion. It is really quite common now.

I also noticed that in Stadium Tour 2002 as well, during one of the rehearsal off shots, there's one of those Christin fishies on the guy's keyboard, the other guy and not Shingo.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikotogawa
isn't it wierd how other religions aren't really important when you don't know about them...what i mean is...like how corybobory said above that he has a budda shirt but he's not buddist...i wonder what a buddist person thinks when they see it, or if you had Vishnu or some other god on your shirt, i wonder how people of the other religion feel and think...do they think we are being disrespectful? or is it the same when us christians see Ayu wearing a shirt that says "Jesus loves you," we don't really think anything of it...
Nah, I dont find it offensive.. it makes religion more fun and bearable and commercial!! ^^
Old 29th September 2005, 11:16 AM
Wishing Guardian

Quote:
I think it's disrespectful. It bothers me when I see people (including Ayu) using religious symbols as fashion accessories, even if I don't believe in those symbols. This is one of the things about Hamasaki that I dislike.
Old 29th September 2005, 02:01 PM
poker face Initiate

i'm sure she's either christan or catholic ..!!!
- M (the song) -> MARIA (even the MV took place in a CHURCH)
- White Christmas , Itsuka no Merry Christmas -> Ayu sang 'em on christmas
- No More Words -> AYu did sing it w/ dozen of children as her backing vocal (just like other christian songs style ..w/ the bell ringing here and there .. u know) ^_^;;
- She wore a shirt w/ "JESUS LOVES YOU" written on ! (i put 'em up awhile ago)
- CROSSes here and there .. !!
- The MV of "FREE & EASY" (i read it from the previous post)

that's just my opinion , though!
Old 29th September 2005, 02:27 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Everyone sings Christmas songs o_O
Old 29th September 2005, 03:31 PM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmskalmn
I think it's disrespectful. It bothers me when I see people (including Ayu) using religious symbols as fashion accessories, even if I don't believe in those symbols. This is one of the things about Hamasaki that I dislike.

Speaking of that, i hate how celebrities are now using that Kabbalah as a fashion sense. I know a few friends who so Kabbalah, and everytime they see like Madonna, or Britney Spears using it as fashion it pisses them off. And it should, its liek commercializing a belief. I mean they have aKabbalah energy drink now o_O and then they take pictures of leik Madonna drinking it. Or for example Tom Cruis's whole Scientology crusade. its a celebrity religion. Its just the few "elite" celebrities who do it, this girl from school who was in love with Tom Cruise just got into it because he was in it, theres just something wrong here.

As for Ayu, i dunno... thsi thread is really old

Quote:
or is it the same when us christians see Ayu wearing a shirt that says "Jesus loves you," we don't really think anything of it...
I dont find it offensive when people wear the "Jesus loves you" shirts, i dunno why. I mean, maybe if they do to make fun of it knwo what I mean? But like I've seen the Buddha shirts too, and I dunno it seems disrespectful, I dunno. But Christians dont get offended easily, unless you KNOW ist being made fun of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33r
I believe it is a bit disrespectful, to take a religion, and turn it into fashion. It is really quite common now.

I also noticed that in Stadium Tour 2002 as well, during one of the rehearsal off shots, there's one of those Christin fishies on the guy's keyboard, the other guy and not Shingo.
yeah usually the fishes are more Christianity, I dont really see many Catholics with it. and I havent really seen em used as fashion or anything.. so.. there could be a chance ya know?

btw.. teh little fish lol, its called an Ichthys..

Quote:
It refers to a symbol consisting of two intersecting arcs resembling the profile of a fish, used by the early Christians as a secret symbol and now known colloquially as the "Jesus fish."

The ichthys symbol has been re-adopted by modern Christians as a badge, often with the word "JESUS" in the center of the symbol. Applied to the rear bumper of the car, the symbol is used to indicate to the world that the owner is a Christian.

Last edited by -Link-; 29th September 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 29th September 2005, 09:10 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

o_O Oh haha thanks for the info!
Old 9th October 2005, 04:06 AM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by suriken
She's christian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i saw her wearing a shirt with "JESUS LOVES YOU" written on it !! (stadium tour/backstage)
either christian or catholic .. i guess !!
yeah, i wish! but she's prolly not Christian... only 1% of Japan is Christian and she's prolly just wearing that shirt cuz she thinks itz funny or cute or trendy or sumthing...

Bold & Delicious/Pride 11/30/05
[new album] 1/1/06
"It doesn't matter though because I am a turkey and you are a cat and no matter how much i tell you what 'gobble gobble' means, you'll never understand it..." -Brady the Great
Old 10th October 2005, 06:37 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

do people here realize that christianity and catholicism are the SAME? catholicism is a form of christianity. christianity is broken up into two parts, protestantism and catholicism. i'm neither, but i just wanted to point that out cause it was bugging me.

I just want to forget it all, without even saying "goodbye."
『Last minute』

Old 10th October 2005, 08:19 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
i'm sure she's either christan or catholic ..!!!
- M (the song) -> MARIA (even the MV took place in a CHURCH)
- White Christmas , Itsuka no Merry Christmas -> Ayu sang 'em on christmas
- No More Words -> AYu did sing it w/ dozen of children as her backing vocal (just like other christian songs style ..w/ the bell ringing here and there .. u know) ^_^;;
- She wore a shirt w/ "JESUS LOVES YOU" written on ! (i put 'em up awhile ago)
- CROSSes here and there .. !!
- The MV of "FREE & EASY" (i read it from the previous post)

that's just my opinion , though!
So what? What does singing White Christmas and Itsukano Merry Christmas have to do with being Christian? Neither of those are church songs by any means. Almost everyone in Japan celebrates Christmas, but not many are actually Christian. It is possible to enjoy Christmas just for the sentiment of it and not be Christian at all.

-It wasn't No More Words that she sang, she sang Close to You. And once again, just because she has a chorus of children singing - how does that mean she is Christian? Several Japanese singers have performed like that.

The Jesus Loves You shirt was a big fad in Japan at that time.

And all the crosses are simply for fashion.

Ayu has never expressed a comment about her religous beliefs, but if anything I would guess she is agnostic.
Old 10th October 2005, 11:54 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer
So what? .
didn't i write "that's juz my opinion "
and .. 'yup' she sang "close to u" (my bad..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer
I would guess she is agnostic.
??? explain it then ..

there is no way to explain .. when everyone juz doesn't want to believe it
Old 11th October 2005, 01:44 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
didn't i write "that's juz my opinion "
and .. 'yup' she sang "close to u" (my bad..)

??? explain it then ..

there is no way to explain .. when everyone juz doesn't want to believe it
Of course it is just your opinion. I was simply pointing out some bad logic. Mostly that anyone singing a Christmas song, must be Christian.

And I don't think anyone can "explain it" because Ayu herself has never said anything about it. I said that I would guess that Ayu doesn't believe in any one religion at all for several reasons but the main one being that from my experience living in Japan, that seems to be the way most of the country is. Also take into acount that Ayu has not just used Christian imagery before, but imagery from several other cultures. What makes Christianity the more prevalant one? Just because it is the Western one? Also, Masa wrote a good post about why Ayu probably doesn't center around any one religion.
Closed Thread