Such different takes on LS! - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 30th December 2010, 01:51 AM
still alone Initiate

Such different takes on LS!

I've been surfing around the internet and there are two extremes to the critiques about Love songs, i've found that people either love it or hate it, why do you think so? Personally i love this album so much, there were not tracks that were hard to remember, as in (RnRC i found myself having a hard time remember countdown and Meaning of Love melody) but in this one every song is so memorable! Even a song like Thank U i loved!

set made my me

Old 30th December 2010, 02:24 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

I agree, I LOVE it!
And I feel the same about RnRC! I can't remember count down and Meaning of Love at all! >.<

but I love EVERTHING on LS! especially Love song, Sending mail, Last angel, Thank U, and Do it again ^^
Old 30th December 2010, 02:38 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

It's just because it's different, and because it's so different from what she's been releasing lately.

I find a lot of the tracks have a forgettable melody actually...so, yeah, to each his own, mostly the single tracks though.

The album tracks definitely own.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 30th December 2010, 02:46 AM
Boys & Girls Initiate

I love it.
But it is quite different from what she normally releases; maybe that's why some people aren't very fond of it?

Old 30th December 2010, 03:22 AM
I am... Initiate

For me, it's cuz I still haven't gotten over Rock'n'Roll Circus. I LOVED LOVED LOVED that album, and Love songs kinda came pretty quickly. It popped up while I was still constantly listening to Last Links, count down, and BALLAD (three favorites ).

I thought Love songs had SOME good moments...like Love Song, November, Like a Doll, and blossom. I just didn't like the odd-sounding songs like Sending Mail, Do It Again, and Thank U...they sounded corny to me, especially Do It Again. Thank U sounded like a second thought...and I absolutely hated Moon, Seven Days War, and the songs from L. TK's influence was clear to me, and I don't like his work that much.

My biggest problem was the lack of anything NEW. TK's songs sounded really mainstream, and I didn't feel any of Ayu's distinct experimentation. On some of the songs, it kinda sounded like she was holding back. I wasn't blown away by anything on this album, like I was with her last few albums.
Old 30th December 2010, 03:34 AM
ayu trance Initiate

In my opinion, 'Love songs' is the best Ayu album since GUILTY era ended. NEXT LEVEL was OK, but Rock'n'Roll Circus was just awfully boring to me.
Old 30th December 2010, 04:20 AM
appears Initiate

RnRC album was perfect the way it was~~album track such as, "meaning of LOVE" and "Last Link" were the only songs that were still on the chaku-uta charts before the released of "MOON/blossom" single.

I find it hard to believe why people hate so much with "meaning of LOVE". The song was sweet and I RELI LOVE IT!!! until now~~ People want Ayu to make something different but the people in Japan are sucker to ballads~~ (i think). As we all can see her album sales are dropping slowly~~ we all don't know much about what the people in Japan wants or what everyone wants from her. Some people love "Sunset" but some people hate it~~ But it depends on everyone, they tend to hate or love the song.
Old 30th December 2010, 04:27 AM
Secret Initiate

Love songs is a really weak album minus like, three single tracks. Maybe I just haven't given the album enough time to grow on me.
Old 30th December 2010, 04:41 AM
rainy day Initiate

I don't think it's necessarily a LOVE or HATE. I am neither. I just really enjoy it. I see where it could be better, but I see where it could be A HELL OF A LOT WORSE. I am just so thankful I like this album so much more than R'n'R. I think perhaps people that loved R'n'R might not like this album but people that HATED or felt letdown by R'n'R might really enjoy this album. I know I sure did. To me I will forever remember R'n'R as the biggest letdown for an Ayu album in the history of my fandom. There was too much hype surrounding the album and it just killed it for me.

One thing I will say with this album, is what everyone has been saying what ticks them off, is the lack of a climax in most songs. I feel like the climax in most songs sounds like the pre-chorus - like the buildup to something amazing. What would be an amazing buildup turns out to be a subpar chorus.

Although, having said that, I have come to love the songs more as I listen to them and now feel comfortable with the choruses.

Last edited by Zeke.; 30th December 2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 30th December 2010, 05:09 AM
Don't look back Initiate

For me, the situation i faced was quite weird.
RnRC was definitely more IN-YOUR-FACE and yes, it struck instantly with the stronger songs but I had a terribly hard time recalling the melodies of count down-Last Links-meaning of Love. It took a few weeks.

Love songs did not have those IN-YOUR-FACE BAM songs but it went more subtly. Yet somehow, i can recall the melodies of the songs in a much shorter period.

So...I love Love songs for the music in each song. It's really detailed. of course, sometimes we agree that TK's choruses are kinda repetitive and sometimes, not very strong (do it again, Like a doll). So that actually subtracts some of the love-it-on-first-listen situation.
Old 30th December 2010, 05:30 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
For me, the situation i faced was quite weird.
RnRC was definitely more IN-YOUR-FACE and yes, it struck instantly with the stronger songs but I had a terribly hard time recalling the melodies of count down-Last Links-meaning of Love. It took a few weeks.

Love songs did not have those IN-YOUR-FACE BAM songs but it went more subtly. Yet somehow, i can recall the melodies of the songs in a much shorter period.

So...I love Love songs for the music in each song. It's really detailed. of course, sometimes we agree that TK's choruses are kinda repetitive and sometimes, not very strong (do it again, Like a doll). So that actually subtracts some of the love-it-on-first-listen situation.
Pretty much agree with this most of this.
Old 30th December 2010, 07:38 AM
Prologue Initiate

Mm! I noticed this too. I personally love it as a whole... it's something that works well put on in the background while you're doing something else because it flows together so well and keeps you basically in one mood the whole time instead of jumping around...

But, at the same time, I think people hate it for that reason. When viewed as a collection of songs, no songs stand out strongly from the rest. For instance, RnRC had Microphone, NL had LOVE n HATE, Rule,and identity, Guilty had Marionette and talkin' 2 myself... Ayu albums tend to have one or more particular track(s) that really make a statement and break away from the flavor of the album. Some people like this. It gives them something to go to immediately when they want an Ayu fix.

In the case of LS, though, it's probably her most complete and (yes I will use the freaking word) cohesive album since RAINBOW. It has one idea, one thread going throughout the album and I think it's hard for people to not have specific songs to reach for every time. Granted, there are some songs that get stuck in your head more than others, but they wouldn't be the same without the rest of the album.

And I'd also like to note that some people may hate the entire mood of the album altogether. The fact that there's little change throughout may irritate people if they didn't like its style to begin with in the singles and whatnot. Basically, I think if there are those who disliked the new feel of the singles, they probably didn't like the whole album for the same reasons.

Just my theory.

日本のために祈っています - Praying for Japan

My Japanese Twitter - Follow me! ^-^

Old 30th December 2010, 08:07 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

I only started reading album reviews from fans with GUILTY.. and I'd say since then this is her best reviewed album by AHS/LJ/JPM fans. I didn't really notice any extreme hate for it except for by a couple of people. GUILTY and NL had like this extreme hatred by what seemed like hundreds of fans and then some love here and there. Love Songs seems like, for every 50 or so people who love it, one person hates it.

I love the album and as of now it's my favorite of hers. whenever I try to listen to songs on other albums now I'm like "ok this is good.. but not as good as _____ on love songs" lol.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:08 PM
Pray H-Initiate

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I was a bit harsh when I first recieved it (we never learn, do we?) because I felt the album tracks weren't anywhere near the quality of the single tracks, but after a few listens, it grew on me. I'd say it's not as good as NEXT LEVEL (which I loved), but better than R'n'RC for me (which I was kinda "meh" about).

I don't get the strong hate though, what kind of standards do these people hold her to?

Koumori has been wifed by me

Old 30th December 2010, 02:16 PM
count down Initiate

I think for an album where majority of the songs are monopolized by a single composer, there often is a case of extreme opinions - if you like T.K's style, you will like the album, and if you don't, you're gonna hate it.

Personally though, I love the album... every song is amazing and the interludes this time round are even better than some of the full songs lol.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 30th December 2010, 02:51 PM
I am... Initiate

This album is very different from what she did before IMO and it got less musical diversity, instead of throwing a heavy rock song, an upbeat pop one, an acoustic midtempo one and a quiet ballad next to each other this album is more cohensive, which also means if you dislike the sound of one song, you are likely to dislike others as well.
However, I love it to death.
Old 30th December 2010, 03:12 PM
Dolls Initiate

all songs are easily memorable...

Ohhh... tetsuya komuro is truly a god...

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another...

Old 31st December 2010, 02:03 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

I dun really know why we have to compare R'n'RC with Ls when they are so different from each other. And why must the new album must be better than the last one (or vice versa)? Can't both be equally well made?

Anywayz, Love songs should belong to the "slow to take" category. Honestly there aren't many stand out album songs this time except Love song, and it stands out too much that makes other album songs kinda dull at this moment (to me btw). I've only listened to a few times only (been sick ), and so far it gives me a good vibe (unlike GUILTY, which I couldn't stand it even I tried my best a few times). It's really cohesive tho so I gotta find a time to just listen to the album, doing nothing else .
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:05 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditmi Krisnasaki ~II~ View Post
all songs are easily memorable...

Ohhh... tetsuya komuro is truly a god...
This

set made my me

Old 2nd January 2011, 07:46 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I've had some time to take in the album and for me Love Songs is arguably one of Ayu's better albums since secret. :s Rock 'n' Roll Circus was...well, a circus. There was no flow, the interludes and ballads constantly interrupted that, and it was only thanks to a couple of b-sides that saved the album. (Microphone, Sexy Little Things, Red Line and Don't Look Back).

Love Songs is consistent and flows well. Yes, most of the songs are average but it still has a couple of 'WOW' songs: Sending Mail (minus the annoying chorus it's actually a decent listen) Do it Again, Last Angel and even Virgin Road. For me it's a more memorable album then RnRC and Next Level (combined).

Tags
love songs