[Translation] [Interview] The Ichiban 2001/05 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Celebrity News

Notices

Old 28th November 2016, 07:18 PM
everlasting dream Initiate

[Interview] The Ichiban 2001/05

T/N: Ayumi released her first greatest hits album, A BEST, on 28 March 2001. Those of us who have seen the 2004 NTV Documentary will know this was a very difficult time for her. I’m probably not the only who is curious about how she discussed A BEST back then. Hence this translation. (read on tumblr)

I felt that artists who are able to release a greatest hits album are really fortunate

— Could you please tell us about what has led up to you releasing a greatest hits album and how you felt about that..?

Hamasaki: I didn’t want to at first, how to put it… I don’t dislike the release of greatest hits albums in general. I disliked this because it held absolutely no charm to me. To date, it’s not like I would create a great song and would then be able to release it whenever I wanted to release it. I was usually in the situation where I had to create a song, because of a drama tie-in or commercial or something. And I was able to so because those were proper reasons in my opinion…

— And therefore…?

Hamasaki: People who can release a greatest hits album are people who have created many songs and are able to select the best songs from their collection. Therefore I felt that artists who can release a greatest hits are very fortunate. And that’s precisely why I feel a greatest hits album is something very important… I felt that releasing such an album without a proper reason or motivator is rude (laughs). I, Ayu, has taxed Ayumi Hamasaki, the artist, very heavily. I felt I shouldn’t bring her to a close in such a way.

— How did you manage to come to terms with things?

Hamasaki: We’re now really in a new century, the 21st century. This isn’t bringing to a close the time from my debut until now, but rather — I was born in the 20th century, which has now ended, how to put it, it’s one…

— Delimiter?

Hamasaki: Yeah. I won’t experience such a thing again, right? I also wrote that in evolution’s lyrics. That’s why, I’ll bring things to a close there one time. Also, I have started liking a very different sound lately, and that’s why I feel it’s OK to start something new. I’m not really focusing on whether the person writing the song is CREA or not. That’s why I also added M as a song of the 20th century. In this way, I somehow managed to convince Hamasaki-san (laughs).

— So that means this album is a “conclusion of the 20th century”, huh. But when I interviewed you at the end of last year, didn’t you say you weren’t particularly conscious of the 21st century?

Hamasaki: I really am very very conscious of it, huh (laughs).

— Yes. I thought this about your previous release “evolution”, but this album is also very 21st century.

Hamasaki: I thought I would be able to not be conscious of it, but it seems I was. In a place unknown to me (laughs).

— How did you do things like choosing what songs to include? I felt your focus on detail in the track list.

Hamasaki: It contains my theme, something like that. To make this CD easy to buy even for people who didn’t know me so far or people who have never actually bought my releases. And, I think there are also many people who are embarrassed to buy my CDs due to the fear to be seen as a mindless trend follower. In an attempt to prevent that, I thought about making it into something that’ll feel familiar somehow when you hear it… So, I purposely didn’t include my debut song. I felt “A Song for XX” alone was enough to explain my earliest songs.

— You were really thinking about many things. But, as you said, I think the power of a greatest hits album lies in its ease of purchase.

Hamasaki: I could’ve made it into a 2-disc album, for example. But it takes courage to buy that if you’re not all that interested in someone, right? The Beatles released a new greatest hits album recently. Because it’s only 1 disc, it’s easy to pick up even if you don’t know them very well. But if it’s a 2-disc set, it feels like you have to act as if you know them well when buying it. I also thought about things like that…

— I see. Why did you rerecord the vocals of “A Song for XX”, “Trust” and “Depend on you”?

Hamasaki: Because they felt difficult to listen to somehow (laughs). My vocal approach has changed since I first started. When I lined the songs up, I felt they were difficult to listen to.

— You’re really focused on detail as creator, right? But I think listeners might also have their own emotional attachments to those songs.

Hamasaki: Those songs still exist in their original format. You can listen to them whenever you want to, right? But people, who aren’t fans to the extent that they visit my concerts, have no other way of hearing the current me sing old songs. This might become the impetus for people who weren’t interested in me before to listen to these songs. That’s why I wanted to record my older songs with my current vocals.

— Although you’re very particular about this album, the song order is simply in order of release date, aside from the first and last songs, right?

Hamasaki: I had only decided on “A Song for XX” being the first song and “Who…” being the last. I thought about various different orders, but they all felt off somehow. So I left it like this in the end.

— How did you choose the album title?

Hamasaki: I wanted a title that would convey to everyone “Ah, she’s releasing a best-of album”. Sorry the reason isn’t more deep (laughs).

A Song for XX is my life’s theme

— Can I ask a question that might be a little difficult to answer? Which song on this album is the most impressive?

Hamasaki: A Song for XX, I think. Like, I couldn’t have told any story without A Song for XX.

— What kind of song is it to you?

Hamasaki: Hmmm. I wonder. That’s a difficult question.

— From a listener’s point of view, I think this is the song that represents you, Hamasaki-san.

Hamasaki: True. It feels like my life’s theme.

— In June-July you’ll have your 4 Dome Tour, right?

Hamasaki: I don’t have any concrete ideas yet, though (laughs). But, considering I’ll be performing in such a big place, I want it to be visual. Of course the music is what’s most important, but a dome tour doesn’t feel like something I can do many times, so I’m thinking about making it extravagant, something I can only do once in my life, something like that.

— For example?

Hamasaki: I want to create a dome inside the dome. Although you’re in a dome, there’s another dome, like “Huh? Another dome?” And, at the start, the dome opens like whiiiiin. Hahaha… (laughs).

— Hahaha… Could be great!! And now, lastly, please give a word to the readers.

Hamasaki: I think those who been following me all this time can’t treat the meaning of a greatest hits album lightly and they’ll try to look below the surface. That’s probably not wrong. I’m also doing this with a certain degree of resolve, so let’s tackle this album together with the same strengthened resolve!
Old 28th November 2016, 08:07 PM
Love song H-Initiate

I love old interviews!

She's so honest. Didn't know she said that doesn't want this album at this time. I thought first mention about it was at ntv documentary
Old 29th November 2016, 02:50 AM
still alone Initiate

This was a great interview.
A very important one too, regarding the A Best era and early Ayu.

Last edited by EndOfTheWorld; 29th November 2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 29th November 2016, 04:38 AM
forgiveness Initiate

Thanks for the translation! Love to learn new things about Ayu, even from many years ago.
Old 29th November 2016, 05:21 AM
ever free Initiate

Wow, great interview, thank you! Very insightful and I loved her "dome within a dome" comment, haha

Old 29th November 2016, 07:11 AM
SURREAL Initiate

^Did she realized that? Is it that when she appear inside of globe?
Old 29th November 2016, 07:31 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

You're welcome, y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aderianu View Post
She's so honest. Didn't know she said that doesn't want this album at this time. I thought first mention about it was at ntv documentary
Yeah, it surprised me too. I didn't think she'd flat-out admit she didn't like the idea.
Old 29th November 2016, 08:55 AM
And Then Initiate

Great interview, thanks for the translation, it's important to read here and not only listen to her ! =)
Old 29th November 2016, 09:01 AM
starting over Initiate

Thank you so much for this. This made me miss CREA so much
Old 29th November 2016, 11:56 AM
No way to say Initiate

LOL I'm surprised she gave away the opening to the dome concert like this, 3 months before.
Old 29th November 2016, 03:23 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Thank you so much for translating this! That's a very interesting interview.
Old 29th November 2016, 03:44 PM
ever free Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refix View Post
^Did she realized that? Is it that when she appear inside of globe?
Yup! It was the opening of Dome Tour 2001

Old 30th November 2016, 04:16 AM
SURREAL Initiate

I see, thanks!
I missed her making unusual openings like that.
Old 30th November 2016, 07:41 AM

Oh that's really interesting. Thank you!
Old 30th November 2016, 12:09 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
And, I think there are also many people who are embarrassed to buy my CDs due to the fear to be seen as a mindless trend follower.
Wow, she even considered this. Thumbs up I always wondered how she managed to sell those 4.2 million copies while her first 3 studio albums sold 2.3 million in average.

Last edited by LONJJONG; 30th November 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 30th November 2016, 04:01 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

That quote stood out for me as well. She was quite transparent about how much she thought about her career and image... I really miss that sort of thing.
Thank you for the translation, tenshi
Old 1st December 2016, 11:22 AM
Sky high Protector

Thank you for the translation Tenshi. I didn't know she thought so much things about the creation of A BEST. As it was a decision of Avex I believed she didn't do more than shot the covers and re-recorded three songs.
I might be wrong but I think I remember that the NTV documentary stated that she re-recorded the songs as a symbol of resistance? Here she had given another reason. Interesting.
Old 8th December 2016, 08:06 PM
Replace Initiate

thanks, my ultimate favourite era of Ayu
Old 8th December 2016, 08:07 PM
Far away Initiate

Thank you so much. It was interesting!

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Old 17th December 2016, 02:25 PM
Interlude Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONJJONG View Post
Wow, she even considered this. Thumbs up I always wondered how she managed to sell those 4.2 million copies while her first 3 studio albums sold 2.3 million in average.
the multiple covers helped as well, I reckon (for the superfans)

great interview, thank you for translatIng <3
can't get enough of her early interviews.

Tags
a best, interview, the ichiban, translation