Music from your country? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > General Music Chat

Notices

Old 31st July 2010, 10:25 AM
Pray H-Initiate

Music from your country?

Searched but did not find. Please forgive me if there already is a thread like this.

But anyways! When I was listening to some music last night, I kind of thought to myself "It's a shame they're danish, that most likely means nobody outside of Denmark will ever give them a listen". So, my question to you is:

Are there any artists/bands from your country that you really would like everyone else to hear? Here's your chance to give them some exposure!

It doesn't matter if it's a bit of a quirky genre, or that not everybody likes it -the idea is to kinda show what's to offer. I know for myself that there are artists I've stumbled across by accident, that I LOVE. That includes french music, dutch music and even some from Israel.

Here are some of my favorites from my own country I'm excited to hear what you all have to share!

Mew - Comforting sounds
Medina - Kun for mig
English version of above song (You and I)
Blue Foundation - Bonfires
Herfra hvor vi står (cover) - Annika Aakjær
Nephew - Police Bells and Church Sirens

Koumori has been wifed by me

Old 31st July 2010, 10:46 AM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

I think Anggun is the best from my country, according to her wiki page, she's even the first Asian artist to breakthrough Western music industry and the first most successful one.

Quote:
In 1997, Anggun made history for being the first Asian artist to break into the international music scene by releasing her first international album Snow on the Sahara in 33 countries across the world. This album produced her biggest worldwide hit to date, "Snow on the Sahara".
and this is my favorite one

there's a French version of this song too, she's quite big in France

||Youtube||Twitter||

set made by apple-pi

Old 31st July 2010, 01:52 PM
Curtain call Initiate

I'm Hispanic from El Salvador and I don't listen to music from my country
idk why I just can't find myself listening to Hispanic music.
Old 31st July 2010, 03:38 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Hmm.. there are a lot German bands I like when I hear them in the radio, but normally I forget to follow their releases later. Two bands I like are "Revolverheld" and "Kleinstadthelden". I guess you could translate the names as "Gunman/Gunhero" and "Small town heroes". Funny is that both bands are from my region

Here is some of their music:
Revolverheld

Kleinstadthelden

(this one makes me cry often, because it reminds me of an old friend..)

might be considered by some, but the lyrics are very meaningful. I like both bands for their funny and realistic lyrics. Sadly that won't come through to anyone who doesn't speak German..^-^"

"You don't need to think, you just need to feel..."
~POWER of MUSIC~
23.07.2011 & 24.07.2011

Old 31st July 2010, 04:53 PM
Far away Initiate

There actually is a thread like this, but it's pretty old. I think it's OK to create a new one now.

Mew is my favorite band, I have seen them live many times. They always deliver. Perfect.

Old 31st July 2010, 05:20 PM
Dolls Initiate

I (hate/dislike) music from my country, but there is ONE excpetion which i love. Even the guy i love lived in Denmark (thats why he havnt polish accent)

I can't really place his music (and his band) in one genre... It's mix with progressive/alternative rock, folk, pop, jazz... He's the most amazing individual person i have ever heard <3 I love his music to death

and some in english:

It's my favorite song, which is very... industrial, if you like it.

this is very "poppish", half in english, half in polish

he is very unique, he talks with audience and he is a bit crazy xD not everyone could like he's music... but i love him
Old 31st July 2010, 05:20 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I don't listen to italian music so often, but there are few good singers.
Most of them are enjoyable if you know italian language almost perfectly like Fabrizio de Andrè. His lyrics are awesome and meaningful.
But there are some whom sing in other languages like Laura Pausini, she sings in english, italian and spanish. Even though I'm not a huge fan of her lol.
I highly recommended Elisa though, she's amazing! And she sings in english and italian both

English

Italian

Last edited by Kazeyomi; 31st July 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 31st July 2010, 09:46 PM
Because of You Initiate

I love threads like this, Im always wondering about every little thing about cultures.
Popular music is one of the things are interesting too. Im croatian, there is some good
popular music in Croatia, but what really represents Croatian or 'mediterranean' sound would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qwY7MGwpXc
Old 31st July 2010, 09:55 PM
Over Initiate

I don't like the music of my country,but i think the most famous is david bisbal (?),
^buleria buleria tan dentro del alma mia xD*

thanks ownsarai

Old 31st July 2010, 10:13 PM
BEST Initiate

I sometimes listen to Dutch music. Never to the ones who actually sing in Dutch, though XD

Here's some examples of what's popular now :

Waylon : Wicked Ways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxsimgTRRM

Caro Emerald : A Night Like This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33j3qjjdTM

Anouk : Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVS_zJy0-U

Lisa Lois : Promises Promises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTzel96omOM

Kane : No Surrender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5miqJhGMkw

Giovanca : On my Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdK5-eyX5s4
Old 1st August 2010, 09:44 AM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nackar_91 View Post
I sometimes listen to Dutch music. Never to the ones who actually sing in Dutch, though XD

Here's some examples of what's popular now :

Waylon : Wicked Ways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxsimgTRRM

Caro Emerald : A Night Like This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33j3qjjdTM

Anouk : Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVS_zJy0-U

Lisa Lois : Promises Promises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTzel96omOM

Kane : No Surrender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5miqJhGMkw

Giovanca : On my Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdK5-eyX5s4
oooh Anouk!!! Love'r <33

Music from Belgium:
~Axelle Red:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ebwo_RhNY

~Arno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWog09UvUs

~Natalia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2B1sFEww4E

~Stromae :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHoT4N43jK8

~~ Regi & Stan Van Samang
http://www.youtube.com/v/Cfq8p3wqIt4&hl=nl&fs=1
Old 1st August 2010, 11:32 AM
Pray H-Initiate

prussian I know her! My mom used to play her music a lot, and sing a long as well, which was pretty funny But I think she's really good. Amazing vocals.

Jackieros I kinda felt the same way a few years back. ALL that I listened to was japanese music, I didn't care at all for any western groups/singers. Idk, one day I just started liking music from where I was from.

Luja You probably get this all the time, but I love german music especially Rammstein! There was this female vocalist whom I used to listen to also, called Anett Louisan, I think. She made a few songs that I really, really liked. Being danish, I do understand a little bit of german, which is good because I really like the language (my mom is 100% fluent, she's from Aabenraa which is like 20km from the danish-german border). I really liked the second track! I might have to go look at the lyrics for this one, I don't want to miss out.

FuNsTyLe Hm, I hope it will be okay. I didn't find the thread, but it must be so old, that all the new members don't remember it. Oh, and Mew = <3. I totally want to go see them live, I'm waiting for them to come by in Sweden.

♥pepicolada Damn I wish I knew polish >< Anyway I liked the second track. Very quirky and kinda mindblowing! Would you be so kind, and submit some lyrics in english for that?

koshka I haven't really gotten around to listen to italian music. I am totally in love with Pavarotti's voice (RIP), sometimes when I need to kick back and relax, I listen to him and it's just so amazing. My ex is obsessed with Eros Ramazzotti though, I think he's memorized every song of his, even though he can't speak a word of italian Elisa sounds amazing, and the music video was really good too, both were. I like it when she sings in italian better though, but the english song was good too. Well I guess I just like italian better, haha Now I've listened through the entire second song, wow. Pretty amazing piece of music. I really liked it.

PoetGirl So do I! Being a complete music lover, I'm always looking for more music to listen to, and language has never been a barrier. That guy singing (Klapa, is that his name?) his voice reminded me a lot of folk music, well I guess that's what it is. The instrumentals really make me want to travel to Split! Haha. My ex was there a few years back, and when he told me about how it was, I was so envious. Very serenade-ish, and sweet.

Toniayu Sounds like he could be singing a spanish cover of a Disney song in a disnery movie. His voice sounds a lot like Stig Rossen's imo O.O he's got some amazing vocals, though the song is a bit too "pop" for my taste ^^

Nackar_91 Omg, the dutch never cease to amaze me. I LOVE ANOUK, and all of your amazing DJ's. I like Waylon's retro/vintage kind of style too <3

Ayuko I didn't know Stromae was from Belgium! They've been doing a lot of advertising for his new album on Spotify. I love Alors On Danse. And wow Axelle Red's voice is wonderful o.o This is so European pop from the 90's, I love it!

An amazing ambient track from Trentemøller which I forgot to add:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQWpTIjusY

Koumori has been wifed by me

Old 1st August 2010, 12:25 PM
P.S II Initiate

Oh, I love this thread! I'm always interested in listening to music from different countries. I'll surely check your recommendations!

I don't listen to Finnish music that much, but there are a few artistes I really, really love. Chisu is definitely one of them. I think she has such a beautiful and different voice and I love it. She also makes her music by herself. Here's a few songs I'd recommend:

Chisu - Sama nainen (The same woman)
Chisu - Mun koti ei oo täällä (My home isn't here)

I also really love Jenni Vartiainen. She's hugely popular in here, and for a reason! She has such a beautiful voice and great songs. I'd recommend these tracks:

Jenni Vartiainen - Ihmisten edessä (In front of people)
Jenni Vartiainen - En haluu kuolla tänä yönä (I don't want to die tonight)

And finally - Stella is a band which makes great music. Their songs are quite rock-ish, though. Here are few of my favorites.

Stella - Suden silmät (The eyes of a wolf)
Stella - Aamun kuiskaus (The whisper of the morning)

(Also, if someone wants to know the lyrics, I can try to translate them... )
Old 1st August 2010, 01:29 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzaki88 View Post
Luja You probably get this all the time, but I love german music especially Rammstein! There was this female vocalist whom I used to listen to also, called Anett Louisan, I think. She made a few songs that I really, really liked. Being danish, I do understand a little bit of german, which is good because I really like the language (my mom is 100% fluent, she's from Aabenraa which is like 20km from the danish-german border). I really liked the second track! I might have to go look at the lyrics for this one, I don't want to miss out.
Oh wow that's pretty cool! Actually I don't like bands as Rammstein
But Annett Louisan, yes, how could I forget about her! Her songs are very fresh and unique, I like her style of singing and her voice a lot

For the others, here is an example:

Sry, couldn't find a more HQ one. This song is called "Drück die 1" ("press the 1") and it's about her ex-boyfriend who keeps calling and she is like "if you want to get me back press the 7", "if you want to know if I still feel something for you or what I think about you press the 0" and so on. It is a really good song.

"You don't need to think, you just need to feel..."
~POWER of MUSIC~
23.07.2011 & 24.07.2011

Old 3rd August 2010, 02:41 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I don't really listen to a lot of music from my country(Sweden) but there are some artists from here that I really like.

Swedish music:

Kent
This is probably my most favorite band right now, they are one of Swedens most sucessful bands.
Both their music and lyrics are really good(though most lyrics are in swedish).
They have released 12 albums(10 in swedish and 2 in english).
I really recommend their music!!
(Genres: Alternative rock, indie rock, Electropop)
Dom Andra(The Others)
Ingenting(Nothing)
Dom Som Försvann(Those who disappeared)
FF(FF stands for "Franska Flickan" ("The French girl"))
Pärlor(Pearls)
Gamla Ullevi(Old Ullevi)
Vy Från Ett Luftslott(View from a Castle in the Air)
Våga Vara Rädd (Dare to be afraid)

Veronica Maggio
She's a singer who debuted in 2006 and have released 2 albums since.
I consider the music on her second album "Och vinnaren är"(eng. And the winer is) to be her best.
(Genres:Soul, pop)
Måndagsbarn (Monday child)
17 år(17 years)
Gammal Sång (Old Song)
Stopp(Stop)
Dumpa mig(Dump me)

Amanda Jenssen
A young singer who entered Swedish Idol 2007 where she finished second in the finale.
She debuted in 2008 with the single "Do you love me". Amanda has a very unique-sounding voice that fits very good with the music she's singing. Her official discography contains 2 studio albums and 5 singles (She also have a lot of unreleased stuff that can be found on the internet).
(Genres:Jazz, acoustic, rock, indie, soul)
Happyland
Amarula Tree
Borderline
Do You Love Me
Charlie
Common Henry

The Cardigans
A pop/rock group who formed in 1992 and have sold more than 10 million records worldwide.
The Cardigans have female vocalist(Nina Persson, she has a solo side project called "A Camp"),
I haven't listened all that much to them but they do have some really good songs.
(Genres: Pop rock, alternative rock)
Lovefool
My Favourite Game
Erase/Rewind
Burning Down The House(with Tom Jones)
I Need Some Fine Wine and You, You Need to Be Nicer

Robyn
A Swedish singer who mostly sings Electropop, Synthpop & R&B. She has a sweet voice and a lot of good music .
(Genres: Electropop, Synthpop & R&B)
HANG WITH ME
Be Mine!
Handle Me
Dancing On My Own
O Baby
Show Me Love

(Songs in bold text are strongly recommended)

This thread is really nice. It's very fun to get to listen to music from other countries that I'd never listened to otherwise
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:43 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak123 View Post
Oh, I love this thread! I'm always interested in listening to music from different countries. I'll surely check your recommendations!

I don't listen to Finnish music that much, but there are a few artistes I really, really love. Chisu is definitely one of them. I think she has such a beautiful and different voice and I love it. She also makes her music by herself. Here's a few songs I'd recommend:

Chisu - Sama nainen (The same woman)
Chisu - Mun koti ei oo täällä (My home isn't here)

I also really love Jenni Vartiainen. She's hugely popular in here, and for a reason! She has such a beautiful voice and great songs. I'd recommend these tracks:

Jenni Vartiainen - Ihmisten edessä (In front of people)
Jenni Vartiainen - En haluu kuolla tänä yönä (I don't want to die tonight)

And finally - Stella is a band which makes great music. Their songs are quite rock-ish, though. Here are few of my favorites.

Stella - Suden silmät (The eyes of a wolf)
Stella - Aamun kuiskaus (The whisper of the morning)

(Also, if someone wants to know the lyrics, I can try to translate them... )
Well damn, you already went and recommended all the artists I was going to promote. We seem to have quite matching tastes when it comes to music.

Anyway, with Jenni, Chisu and Stella already receiving their fair share of attention, I'd like to promote yet another Finnish woman with some great music. She is Maija Vilkkumaa. Maija's songs are mostly rock and pop, with a few ballads here and there and some more experimental stuff on her fifth album, Superpallo (Superball in English ). Like Chisu, Maija also composes and writes all her lyrics herself.

Anyway, I think I'll let her music speak for her now.

Maija Vilkkumaa - Ei (The title means 'No' in English. This song is probably Maija's most liked one, though not a personal favorite. )
Maija Vilkkumaa - Sut kuulen, sut nään (I hear you, I see you in English)
Maija Vilkkumaa - Ai miten valo sattuu (Oh, how the light hurts)

While writing this, another Finnish favorite of mine popped into mind: PMMP. PMMP consists of vocalists Paula Vesala and Mira Luoti, their band and composer Jori Sjöroos. The groups style is mostly pop-rock, with a couple of more punkish songs and sstuff like Taiteilia and Pariterapiaa, which are nearly impossible for me to describe with my limited knowledge about music. Also worth mentioning, Paula and Mira write all the lyrics for their songs.

And here are some songs for everyone to enjoy.

PMMP - Lautturi ('Raftman' or something in English )
PMMP - Pariterapiaa (Someone translated it as 'Couples counseling' and I'm gonna stick with that)
PMMP - Joku raja (Some limit in English)
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:43 PM
LIMIT Initiate

@OP

Medina is amazing. Kun For Mig and Velkommen Til Medina is an amazing album and so is the English translation album, Welcome To Medina. I'm in love with Ensom/Lonely x_x

Music from my country (Wales) includes...

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Katherine Jenkins - Bring Me To Life (Evanescence cover)

Shirley Bassey - James Bond Theme Medley

Stereophonics - Dakota

Musically, Wales has quite an excellent history.

Last edited by Jordlols; 3rd August 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 4th August 2010, 04:34 AM
fairyland Initiate

I listen to very little music from Canada. Most of our artists are these poser bands that think they are indie and unique, but there are so many of them doing the same thing, singed to major labels. I think the only Canadian talent worth mentioning are the ones who have become popular in America, like Justin Bieber, Drake, Celine Dion. I won't add Avril because she is trash

Although, I do like a few that aren't recognized outside of Canada that I like are:

Stereos

Down With Webster

LIGHTS

Sarina Paris (this song is old, and she hasn't released anything in years)

David Usher

And this song was just awesome back in the day

Old 4th August 2010, 09:56 AM
Love song H-Initiate

previous thread if anybody interested
http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48473

my new favorite band

Old 4th August 2010, 04:11 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

We have tons of subgenres of what would be considered pop music over here... I will pick some of the most popular... Here we go... =)

Axé (brazilian afro-pop):
Ivete Sangalo (our "queen of pop", she will record a already sold out concert at Madison Square Garden in Semptember)

Cláudia Leitte (started as a Ivete rip-off, now she trying to find her own sound)

Sertanejo Universitário ("country" pop):
Victor & Leo (duo of brothers, pretty popular now)

Luan Santana (and he is from my city, pretty much the biggest name right now)

Brega-pop (a mix of indigenous, caribean, latin and american music):
Banda Calypso (wife and husband, HUGE)

MPB ("brazilian popular music", it's our "traditional" pop):
Marisa Monte (considered the most influent brazilian singer since the 90s, still have hits)

Vanessa da Mata (one of those influenced by Marisa)

Ana Carolina (she was bigger some time ago, but still is in the game)

Seu Jorge (Most likelly the biggest with "pop-samba" right now)

Marcelo D2 (mixes samba + hip hop + pop)

Pop (pop on a more "usual" way):
Sandy & Junior (pop duo, brother and sister, started young and lasted for almost 20 years)

Wanessa Camargo (american pop star wannabe)

Marjorie Estiano (actress/singer, not as popular as the other 2, but steady enough)

Latino (have ocasional hits, goes down, have more ocasional hits...)

Jota Quest (active for a while, have huge hits here and there)

Pop-rock:
Restart (pretty new, considered teen music)

NX0 (a little older, teen music too)

Pitty (one of the biggest acts from the last decade, still big)

Skank (active for a while, huge hits here and there)

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 5th August 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
country, music