Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 18th December 2010, 08:08 PM
I am... Initiate

Your Love Songs reviews!!!

Try to write more than 2 lines

Here is what I posted at another, non-Ayu website:
Quote:
Ayumi Hamasaki - Love Songs
Her 12th full-lenght album that just leaked today and the first I would call truly great in every way possible, there is not a single really disappointing song on this 70 minute album.
First of all: It's a concept album, the title applies to the content, as the album tells the story of being single, searching for love, then finding someone, overcoming problems together and, in the end, marrying.
The songs generally all have a similar, yet unique, genre-mix of pop, rock, classical and electronic music, which might seem weird, but works out extremely well in this album.

It starts off with "Love song", a folk-influenced, weirdly contructed song about getting out of a bad relationship yet not losing hope, like some other songs on this album the structure of this song is one big surprise, it got no piece that can clearly be defined as chorus, suddenly goes into a guitar solo after 90 seconds and manages to jump from rough to gentle easily. An album highlight: 10/10
The second song is "crossroad", a very soft song basing it's composition around strings and guitars and talking about past (bad) decisions while staying optimistic about the future. Unfortunately the editing of the vocals(heavy doublevocaling in the chorus) hinders this song from showing it's true beauty in studio-recorded form: 8/10(10/10 live)
After "crossroad" follows "MOON" a lovesong surprising the listener by going from a very quiet instrumental into a rather heavy guitar riff and alternating between quiet passages and the heavy chorus(which starts getting heavy the moment Ayumi sing the japanese word for gentle, a nice little detail): 9/10
The album turns upbeat when "sending mail" begins, first pretending to be another ballad, loud, fast synths soon start changing the mood, accompanied by strings and band instruments "sending mail" gives an almost apocalyptic feeling yet has a singable melody with strong beats and ends with a short part played by a single violin: 9/10
Flowing perfectly from that violin, "Last Angel" opens with strings playing but undergoes a transformation similar to the one of the track before soon after when trance-y beats get in. The vocals in this track seem especially powerful as there are low, almost whispered passages followed by strong, loud, higher ones while beats, a piano and violins fight for attention in the background: 9
"Insomnia"(10/10) is a dark instrumental track(though not quite instrumental, vocal samples are used) attempting(and succeeding in) making the listener ready for the next song: "Like a Doll"
"Like a Doll" is one of those songs that cannot be categorized or described. With the melody of a lullaby clashing against a dark, half-acoustic, half-electric instrumental, jumping from fast to slow while singing about why living without emotions is like death before death it definitely is one of the highlights of the album, emotionless on purpose yet so emotional: 10/10
"Aria"(9/10) is another instrumental, focusing on a violin and a handful beats(and then later an electric guitar) to lead into "blossom"
"blossom", like "MOON", pretends it's a quiet, melanchonic midtempo popsong, but then breaks into a guitar riff before the first verse even begins. While it might seem like a typical summery Popsong, "blossom" is much more. The dramatic guitar solo before the last chorus is one of the strongest I have heard so far even though, or maybe because, it just goes on for a few seconds: 10/10
"Thank U" officially makes Ayumi the queen of adnibbling, more than HALF of this 5,5 minute song consits of lalalala's sung by Ayumi and repeated by a chorus. Yet it somehow manages to fit in the album, maybe because of the orchestral opening, maybe because of the melody, I don't know: 7/10
"Sweet Season" is by far the weakest song of the album, ever since it was released on her "L" single in September I wasn't able to fully enjoy this song. Sweet Season basically is the 70s-happy-poprock inspired song EVERY japanese artist seems to release sooner or later: 5,5/10
But right after that, opened by the instrumental "overture"(9/10), follows the album's best section, concluding the lovestory.
"do it again", while repating the same 2 lines for most of the song, has a very interesting, very dramatic yet hopeful, arrangement. It's a midtempo song, possibly considered ballad by some people, yet NOT singing along to the english parts is nearly impossible. Like half the album there are a handful surprises hidden inside: 10/10
"November" seems to be the best song on the album for most people and I can almost agree, this song is cold yet warm. A lovesong in it's purest form yet far away from being a typical lovesong. Calling it an electro-acoustic-creepy-ballad probably comes closest to describing this song about watching the love of your life sleep peacefully beside you: 10/10
Right afterwards follows another masterpiece: "Virgin Road"
"Virgin Road" is a song from a child to a parent - about being in love, marrying the person you love, finding someone to make happy and to make you happy. It is quite obvious that this song was produced by the same person responsible for parts of Celine Dion's, Mariah Carey's, Cher's, Barbra Streisand's and Madonna's discographies, shown in the skillful use of strings, piano and drums to create a full sound while staying focused: 10/10
The album closes with "SEVEN DAYS WAR"(a live version in the limited version of the album), a cover of a 90s popsong. SEVEN DAYS WAR does not have the same qualities other songs on this album have, but the studio version showcases beautiful vocals and an awfully beautiful instrumental while the live version shows(in audio form obviously) real tears, real happiness with an audience singing along and Ayumi crying from joy all the way through: 9/10

Overall the album for me is a 9/10, by far her best album, I would say in fact the best pop album I have ever listened to. I have NEVER given that many songs in an album 10/10, actually, I think in Ayumi's whole discography I have only given that exactly 5 times before.
The only better album I have ever listened to is X's "Art of Life"
Old 18th December 2010, 08:43 PM
Daybreak Initiate

Are you on XTC or something?

In my opinion it's better than Rock'n'Roll Circus, perhaps better than Next Level, but it can't even come close to albums like Secret or My Story.

I'm sorry for not giving a full review but I can't even be bothered, I'm so disappointed in the new album tracks. I still absolutely love MOON, blossom, Last Angel and Virgin Road. Love Song and Sending Mail are growing on me, but the other new tracks are a complete disappointment to me.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:55 PM
Initiate

^MTE.

like I said in the last topic, Last Songs pales against...pretty much every other album in her discography IMO. I wasn't that big on Rock n Roll Circus either, I hoped for more after I heard the epic-ness of Love Song @ BEST ARTIST 2010 and I liked crossroad + SEVEN DAYS WAR from the single. But when I listened to the entire album, I was disappointed. Even though I didn't like RnRC that much, I still might prefer it over Love Songs because it felt a bit more solid than this.
this bit be my least favorite of Ayu's, or 2nd to last.
*sigh* or maybe its because this just seems like a rush job to me.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:05 PM
monochrome Initiate

I posted this on the other thread, but anyways, here is my review of the new songs of the album:

1. Love Song. It's a strong and powerful starting of the album, not as much as with Microphone, but it's a pretty cool song, with a lot of energy. mark: 9

2. Sending Mail: this was just such a surprise. I'm in love with this song, it reminds me of Malice Mizer. It has delicious arrangements and perfect voice. And kind of "vampiric" sound with those organs too.. mark: 9.5

3. Insomnia: it's a pretty interlude, but I prefered the other ones. mark: 7

4. Like a Doll. The first time I listened to it, I didn't like it as much as the rest of the album. But now that I've listened to it more times, I'm in love with it! 7.5

5. Aria. What a beatiful interlude! ^^ It's so sweet and peaceful, I love it! mark: 8

6. Thank U. This song is one of my favourites (maybe the most). It has the old ayu sound... it reminds me of the Memorial Address era with Angel's song, Greatful days,... and it's similar to Rainbow's "everlasting dream". The best voice on the whole album, it's like it was recorded 7 or 8 years ago. And the "lalala" will be so good for concerts... mark: 9.5

7. Overture: another beautiful interlude, as good as aria. mark: 8

8. Do it Again: I didn't watch the short version, so this was the first time I listened to the song. It has some kind of ballad/trance mix, I love it. And very good voice too. mark: 9

9. November: if you're going to listen to this song for the first time, please do it reading the lyrics. It's such a beautiful combination... and the ending sentence is so moving... good vocals and perfect arrangement! mark: 9

Mark for the whole album: 8.5 maybe? I can definitely say that this is better than Rock'n'Roll Circus, NEXT LEVEL, Guilty and Secret! (in my opinion, of course =P)

I hope you all will enjoy the album as much as I did!
The meaning and the significance of my existence

Old 18th December 2010, 09:16 PM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

I don't really feel like reviewing each track, all I can say after giving the album in full a few listens is this is the best album she has ever released, not even exaggerating here. The upbeat songs are seriously mind blowing, and the ballads are some of my favorites, even the INTERLUDES are amazing. Before anyone says I'm crazy like they did with the OP, please just deal with it.. people have different opinions.. just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they're crazy.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:23 PM
Will Initiate

I barely liked half the singles that were released and only a few album tracks stood out to me. I liked RnRC better

Koda Kumi Concert Audio

Old 18th December 2010, 09:24 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Okay, review time!

Love song: After the overflow of singles and the complaining of many about "anothur barrad wuut" or "midtempo wuut", this was a little fresh(er) and obviously stands out as one of the best singles. It's been a while since I've truly appreciated the use of piano in a happy-sounding song, and the lyrics are again Ayu-standard. But it's nothing especially great to me, good for a few listens, easily forgettable next to her classics and basically, the rest of her work.

6.5/10

Sending Mail: The verses and chorus' are so different from eachother! Such a strong song. I can appreciate that it's good, but have yet to really like it a lot personally. The chorus is very nostalgic of her old sound from LOVEppears, that I like.

8/10

Insomnia: Best interlude on the album. Love the trance kinda sound at the end, and the vocal manipulation.

9/10

Like a doll: I love it! The Christmas beats are a little out of place, but it's somehow endearing. I like how the song builds up, and the 'like a doll' chorus shows how you don't need a huuge ending to make it seem epic.

9/10

Aria: It's okay, not as good as insomnia. /shrug

4/10

Thank U: Nothing amazing, the only disappointment on the album for me. Another GLITTER imo, doesn't really fit. But it's cute, happy, and it made me smile.

5/10

Overture: Sounds like a song from a game, but not necessarily a bad thing. It's nice, but nothing awesome and doesn't stand out. But it flows nicely and I like the string instrumentals

7/10

do it again: Epic, amazing, beautiful, etc. I really, really like this. I'm actually beyond words for this song. I'm worried I'll overplay it though I liked the preview, love the PV, love the rip. I can see why so many people are going on about it so much. I can't wait to see the PV in full, and it's definitely the best song on the whole album. GTFO if you complain about the repeating chorus, because the way it's built up doesn't make it boring at all.

10/10

November: I liked the preview, but the whole song surpassed my expectations when I listened to it in full. It's a beautiful song with really thoughtful lyrics, and I'll definitely play this a lot. Second best song on the album for me personally.

9/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Last edited by koumori; 18th December 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:35 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I'm just gonna do a review of new songs in the album if that's ok

Love Song Love the mysterious mood to this song, her voice seems quite strong here too. I love the verses, they sound simple&free♥ 7~8/10

Do It Again I'm not so keen on Ayu's English, I can hear a slight accent behind the voice. But overall this song was pretty good. Didn't really like the intro to it and hated it when it was repeated. But for some reason, that was the only bit I remembered and it got stuck in my head for agggeeesss :/ 6/10

Insomnia ...this kinda freaked me out, the voice sounded something like robots. I can imagine this like in a scary dream or something. But creative in a way, wasn't a bad interlude. It's definitely not an interlude i'd forget. 3/10

Sending Mail This is starting to grow on me. The verse isn't exactly anything special, But I absolutely love the chorus to this song and the part leading up to it♪ 6/10

Like A Doll mm... I don't know what to say about this one. It's kinda one of those songs I'd skip on my iPod ((((: 4/10

November I don't really find this a strong song, but kinda soothing i guess. it's okay i guess so... 5~6/10

Aria Really like this interlude. The violin&voice together is so soothing. And when it kinda "booms" into a more high-spirited mood with the harp in the background is just.. Awesome. 9/10

Thank U I like it when ayu sings high pitched in the "lalala" bits. Some ppl think it's squeaky, but it's the squeakyness which makes this song cute. I really like this one. It's easier to remember the lyrics ♪la la la la laaa...♪ 9/10

Overture When the strings and stuff are added, it makes it sound "magical". I can see this being played in one of those "disneyland" fire displays But tbh it is pretty7/10

I think that's it right? All the new songs & interludes mentioned above.. i think. I hope I haven't missed any out. But then again it's not such a big deal.

I've noticed that ayu has used lots of harps, pianos & strings. The overall outcome of the album gives me a more Folky, classically kinda feeling.

Overall rating of [new songs] of album: 6/10

~Set by Yoake~
Old 18th December 2010, 09:56 PM
And Then Initiate

Why do I have the feeling that Love songs and Rock'n'Roll Circus will be compared like I Am... and RAINBOW usually are?

Btw, I think I'll wait to do a review until I have the album in hand and can listen with the Bose earphones.

Last edited by lumieregrl; 18th December 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: adding :P
Old 18th December 2010, 09:57 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I love this album! I have to say that this is one of her best! Her lyrics are especially strong in this album. My favorites are November, like a doll, love song and sending mail. I'm not really a huge fan of interludes, so I don't pay much attention to them... I only see the point of them in concerts,BUT insomia was pretty sweet. I feel like people who have gotten bored with ayu should give her a second chance with this album. I don't wan't to say it's abest album yet. however, it's defianty in the top five for me. YAY AYU!
Old 18th December 2010, 10:00 PM
rainy day Initiate

Not sure yet. First few new songs I wasn't drawn to immediately but I did like Thank U, Do It Again, and November right away. I'll give it a week of listening before I decide.

Do It Again was very surprising to me. With everyone talking about lyrics "Dance Dance Dance, Do It Again X4" I expected a very upbeat, fun, dancey thing - more like Lady Dynamite but I like how different it turned out to be!

As of right now, November might be my favorite.

On a side note, her voice sounds very healthy in these songs! Very impressive!

Last edited by Zeke.; 18th December 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 18th December 2010, 10:03 PM
monochrome Initiate

RAINBOW was better than I am...
Love songs is better than RnR Circus

As simpe as that.

Old 18th December 2010, 10:13 PM
And Then Initiate

this album is so mediocre '-___-

i have loved every album in some way since my fanship since 2006,
but wtfff

1. Love song
this song, despite being tk, is sooo good. definitely the new microphone, I am so glad she is promoting the album with this.
9/10

2. crossroad
sigh, nice instrumental, nice verses, so so chorus
6.5/10

3. MOON
by far my favourite on the album. simply wonderful
9.5/10

4. Sending Mail
surprisingly grows on you quickly. i give tk a nod for this one
7.5/10

5. Last Angel
catchy but wth sounds so outdated to me
5.5/10

6. Insomnia
hrmmm i like, the same way i like disco munication
7.5/10

7. Like a doll
ugh... definitely not a keeper for me.
4/10

8. Aria
wow sounds custier in full. i'd rather play final fantasy?
2/10

9. blossom
finally a breath of fresh air. the chorus could be better
7.5/10

10. Thank U
she officially must stop making cute songs now. she has enough. i blame tk
2/10

11. Sweet Season
thank you again, non tk song. no shietty electro beats ftw
8/10

12. Overture
i like it!!
8/10

13. Do it again
hrmmm not bad, it'll grow on me the english is so annoying though
7/10.

14. November
honestly just terrible wtf
3.5/10

15. Virgin road
another crossroad story. but definitely not as catchy
6.5/10

16. SEVEN DAYS WAR
i like. another nod tk
7/10

honestly this album started great then someone started shieting on it
why does he keep making ugly choruses for songs...

i'm not dissappointed and everyone can be all like "oh you guys are so negative~~" LOL but honestly I'm being real these songs didn't stick with me and the whole I'm in a video game vibe from a good quarter from the songs may be all "old school ayu" but i just wanted good music and tk is a good example of kazu who wouldn't leave for a while. this whole time listening to it i felt so relieved when blossom or Sweet Season came on.

sorry but this album has got NOTHING on NEXT LEVEL or RnRC, and definitely not GUILTY (in terms of the recent albums)
Old 18th December 2010, 10:19 PM
poker face Initiate

The thing is ...I really like the first few seconds of instrumental of her new songs, but then....it goes down hill from there.
The only song I can listen to in full aside from the singles is Sending Mail.

Really, this album is just not my taste at all.
Old 18th December 2010, 10:22 PM
Dolls Initiate

Love song
I love this catchyness of it. I still sing in my head. Great aragment, fabolous vocals. But a bit repetive.
9,5/10

crossroad
I was never "that" fan like everyone here of this single track. Within listening with a whole album, it feels boring and i skipped it. Though, the werses and aragment are very good. The chorus makes me meh.
6/10

MOON
With single I was sceptic with this song (prefered blossom) but with album it feels more powerful in some way, dunno. I just like it, verses are a bit boring, but the chorus is very awesum.
7/10

sending mail
I really like the speeding up, bridge coming up to chorus. Chorus is a bit "oldschool" for me, but overral, this track surprised me (i didnt liked the previews)
7/10

Last angel
I love the trancy feel in it, the nice, not too fast flow. The only thing i would say that it should be, it's more aggresive vocals i think.
8/10

Insomnia
Feels like 2000-2001 interlude. Like from LA/I am...
It's rather nice, darky, but not to listen without an album, which some interludes i like to listen like a song. And it's NOT that interlude.
5/10

Like a doll
Preview was like "wow". Then I heard full and I was "hmm" But the more i listen, the more I love it. It's so mysterious and catchy in fact. Bridge, the music just before the chorus is SPEECHLESS *tam tam tam tamtamtam* <3
naaaah, it's 10/10....

Aria
It's sweet and have oldschool feel (I would put this on RAINBOW or MY STORY) Very soft and nice to hear. But too bland to listen this as a song.
7/10

blossom
I will love this song till the very end, cause it's my personal fairyland ~episode II~ Vocals are amazing (cute but not too cute/squeeky) AMAZING GUITAR riff (climax) and catchy chorus. <3 The only "bad" thing, that I can't listen to this on repeat (it gets boring) Same as fairyland
9/10

Thank U
Amazing MUSIC & arragment. I like "La La La" but it feels like a interlude. And her vocals on verses makes me "" But I like the way it feels (RAINBOW/MY STORY again) A bit of Honey and everlasting dream mixed together. But it could be pretty repetive for more listening
6/10

Sweet Season
I really disliked it when it was on single. NOW I LOVE IT :3 It's chilling, i love the "kira kira" part x3 I like it because it's a "cute" song, but her vocals are very mature and soft (not that cute as in Thank U)
7/10

overture
It's very pretty, but I'm not a fan of that classy interludes. Aria was also classy but had more arragment... I'm just skipping
5/10

do it again
I love the speeding up, but it feels it's slowing after that and my heart feel unsatisfacted. *put a low crying aria here* It might feels that verses not very matches the rest i think.... But still it's a very good song.
6/10

November
First listening and i thought... "omg, NEVER EVER 2.0 with a nostalgic aragment" ;d I LOVE MUSIC TO DEATH HERE. It's so magical/rpg/fantasy ;D Vocals are perfect (like she just looses 10 years.) I'm a WoW player so it's a amazing track to listen with a game XDDDDDDD
10/10

Virgin Road
I like it with a PV and a single. Now it feels as boring as Curtain Call. XDDDDDDDDDD It's still pretty (I like Curtain Call too :>) But... I skip this. XD
6/10

SDW ~live~
Good vocals, a bit of tears up. Good bonus for a album
7/10

Overral
+ Cohesive album
+ Some very LOVELY LOVE tracks. (best: Like a doll, Love song, November, Last angel)
+ No ballads as album tracks
+ Good not too masive use of "electronic" samples.
+ Very "feminine" feel

- Too many piano.
- Boring interludes
- Not so interested in singles track after hearing amazing Like a doll, Love song and November
- Massive "classy" feel may be tricky.
- No stricte rock track

AA = 7,21

Old 18th December 2010, 10:22 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I love the whole album except Thank U which is... okay but nothing special at all. do it again is amazing but I'm afraid not amazing enough to make me sit through 16 do it agains at the beginning very often. The singles were fantastic, amazing etc. I loved all three interludes. Then my favourite album tracks... November <3 Like a doll <3

Only complaint I have is it feels like there wasn't enough new tracks. But that's just cause she always only has 4 single tracks lately and this time there's more. And they're awesome anyway.

♔ Sexy Queen ♔

Old 18th December 2010, 10:25 PM
CAROLS Initiate

# Love song is a nice song, and probably one of the best non-single tracks from this album. I like how powerful this song is. ^^ It goes on and on with that effect that tells you that the refren will probably 'explode' soon.
# crossroad I like it.
# MOON I like it.
# sending mail another song with the "strong" effect, it might grow on me later, as for now, I just enjoy it.
# Last angel the best one, definitely, I love it! :3
# insomnia Ayu has got better interludes, this one is just plain.
# Like a doll I think I have just realized that I cannot stand anymore Ayu's 'english'. I mean, that is just irritating, the other parts aren't that bad. I'd like to remove the "Like a droll" part and enjoy the rest of the song...
# aria better than "insomnia". I like the violins.
# blossom I like it.
# Thank U it reminds me of ANGEL'S SONG so much! I can imagine Ayu singing this at the end of some concert. However, it makes me impatient and I just can't force myself to listen to it till the end. It's just a clone of "HONEY" and other well-know cute songs that she still uses as a space-filler and as an excuse to not sing more required songs.
# Sweet Season I liked the song after I had watched the PV : )
# overture the same as for "aria".
# do it again the worst song on the album, and it's got the worst possible refren in Ayu's discography. At first, I liked beginning and I thought: "OMG, another epic Ayu song with piano" and then she started singing in awful engrish and I was shocked. I mean, the refren consists of "sing sing sing, do it again, do it again, dance, dance..." o_o It sounds unbelievable stupid.
# November boring - howerer, it's got a potential to grow on me later even though I sincerely doubt it.
# Virgin Road still boring and too long for me, but I find it ok to say at least.

Good points:
-the inner covers that remind me of A BALLADS (even though they don't have any winterish theme)... I like them more than the RnRC's covers.
-interesting tracklist
-good single tracks & PVs with 'to be continued" story.

Bad points:
-unoriginal title of the album
-the album is filled with single tracks, which is kinda bad because non-single tracks are not impressive and some of them have even repetitious melodies and that brings us to already mentioned theory that there is not enough originality or improvement with this album. A bit rushed out in time for Christmas, ne?

NEXT LEVEL & Rock'n'Roll Circus > Love songs

Last edited by Maemi; 18th December 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 18th December 2010, 10:39 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I really like "Love songs" as an album. Still I did decide to listen to 'MY STORY', when I went shopping today, even though I already had 'Love songs' on my MP3-Player, LOL ^o^

Last edited by channy; 18th December 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:14 PM
TO BE Initiate

I will review it tomorrow or so but I can see that it is my new favourite Ayu Album, next to NEXT LEVEL. I know you are judging me now, but I usually listen to Idol Groups so my taste is probably different from people that listen to Kuu etc. etc. lol
Old 18th December 2010, 11:19 PM
from your letter Initiate

I'm so accustomed to the sound of 90's TK because of being raised in a culture that loved his music at the time. For me, this is definitely one of the better Ayu albums recently and not because the melodies of each song is so memorable. I love deciphering the arrangement that is used for each individual and trying to listen to background lines rather than only Ayu singing.

Tags
love songs