Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 19th December 2010, 02:37 PM
monochrome Initiate

she knows that international fans do that. I mean, how does she think she got that popular outside? Through internet, therefore, downloads. I don't think people would randomly buy an album from japan just to try it and see how it sounds... xD

Old 19th December 2010, 04:22 PM
count down Initiate

i'll give a review soon, but i gotta say

T.K, or the arrangers whoever better stop making the backing vocals so loud in the chorus it's so annoying. prominent cases are crossroad & November

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 19th December 2010, 04:23 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

My opinion so far:

-It's one of her best... sounds mature and cohesive... maybe it's her best...

-She sounds like Seiko Matsuda in Thank U, both her cutesy voice and the way she sings the verses...

-I love the hurry on her voice for most of the tracks

-I love how Ayu didn't overpowered TK and how TK didn't overpowered Ayu in the production... You can hear both of them on the music with both being recognizible...

About being cohesive... being cohesive doesn't mean having tracks that sound alike, it means having tracks that go well together and that share esthetic characteristics... IMO, (miss)understood is very cohesive cuz even if it has tons of different music, all of them have strong 70s and 80s influence, so, they all sound like they came from the same place IMO... What doesn't happen with Secret or RnRC...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 19th December 2010, 04:32 PM
And Then Initiate

Hm...reading again, I need to re-write the first few songs, as soon as I find the romaji. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
lumieregrl what a fantastic review. Honestly, Im very amazed at the thoughts in Ayu's album. NEXT LEVEL was this video game idea, Rock'n'Roll Circus had the Yin and Yang idea and now Love songs has this progression of Love. Sounds ordinary but the way lumieregrl put it, with Ayu's lyrics, now makes so much sense and that it was very well-thought out. It's too bad few will ever appreciate that level of intricacy and detail in an album. I'm gonna do it that way and read the lyrics on my second hearing because...I need to digest the songs first round through hahaha.

(and ur crossroad part...im just wow..TK's music really had that conotations when put with Ayu's lyrics)
Yea, I wouldn't read along on the first listen because you can't absorb the overall sound so easily.

I don't think her older albums pre-NEXT LEVEL had these overarching themes? (Did they?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
You're officially AWESOME lol
The sound was bugging me so much. XD There seems to be an 80's vibe of sorts, but I guess that's TK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1SUK1DAY01691 View Post
"Like a doll" feels like she dropped the ball there for a little while, since this is my weakest track on the album (even more than "Sweet Season," if you're wondering), but even the weakest song on the album offers something we haven't really seen before. I don't know what, but something separates this album from the rest of the lineup.
It seems like "Like A Doll" is the "Don't Look Back" in this album, at least as far as how the music style is different and catching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyUmIXx View Post
lumieregrl, WOWWWW ur review is AWESOMEEE!!
it makes me love the album even more!!!
i can't stop looping the whole album now... thanks so much for the review!
Yay, that was goal.
Old 19th December 2010, 04:40 PM
Far away Initiate

All I can say is her voice has turn very mature and cohesive.
I quite like November. Can feel all her feelings in that song, good job Ayu! (:
I also like overture & insomnia

awesome set by Aderianu

happy 14th anniversary to 浜崎あゆみ! (1998.04.08) ♥

浜崎あゆみ SHINee

Old 19th December 2010, 05:48 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Location: Currently @ Ann Arbor, MI || originally from Hong Kong
I'm addicted to that call-and-response instrumental in November, the line of music that repeats over and over again. SO GOOD.

Also I think Sending mail is intense and amazing. Love song is of course great, it's so powerful, especially the line where Ayu says something like "what if you can go back in time"--TOO EPIC!

Like a doll is also very nice and I think the way the music builds up is very unusual, also Ayu's high voice in certain parts of the vocals is very nostalgic, I miss her singing high, lol. I like Thank U but probably less than the other songs.

I was saved by the love that I tried to keep away
Set by truehappiness

Twitter || Niall is pretty (tumblr)

Old 19th December 2010, 06:43 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

I love this album!!! The single tracks were mostly generic to me, I only like Virgin Road and Last angel, but the album tracks are great in my opinion. I gotta say, this is my favourite album by her in her recent years, beats Rock 'n' Roll Circus and NEXT LEVEL by miles.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:52 PM
no more words Initiate

I was listening to the album as I was laying in bed last night through some in-ear headphones, and I take back what I said about Like a doll: I've come to like it after listening to it more in-depth rather than through not-so-good computer speakers.

I haven't liked an album this much since Secret, I think. Haha.
GUILTY was good, but I didn't care too much for the album tracks.
NEXT LEVEL's sound was cheesy for me, but I got what she wanted to do. Just a personal miss, not an Ayu-miss.
R'n'RC was great, I actually liked most of the material, just some tracks fell flat for me.

Then there's this album, which I can actually listen to from start to finish without skipping anything. I haven't done that since Secret or m(u) to be quite honest.
Old 19th December 2010, 10:10 PM
BEST Initiate

Generally speaking, this album sounds mature (except for Thank U). It has some really beautiful and unique instrumentals and arrangements. I was surprised (pleasantly) by a lot of things on here.

Love Song is amazing. The way she sings reminds me of her "golden days" during the I Am.... period. This is what she should be doing with her vocals.

Sending Mail really impresses me. It captures the feeling of someone obsessing over what to say and how to say it, and eventually giving up. I know that feeling, too, as I'm sure many do, so this song speaks to me. Very emotional. Probably the best new track on here (besides Love Song).

Like a Doll also has a very unique sound. I love the part where her singing "akiramenai koto" and "like a doll" in the background blend together. Sometimes her vocals get a little shrill, though, which bothers me.

Thank U is just terrible. Ayu should stop trying to sing all cutesy like this. It doesn't work with her voice anymore. And for God's sake, she's had enough songs bursting at the seams with LALALALALLALAs already. Lol.

Do it Again....well, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I've come to like the repetitive dance dance sing sing parts, but the rest of the song is a little "meh" to me. I also don't really like how she repeats the same verses again at the end. It sort of makes the song feel longer than it should be. However, it builds up to a nice climax.

November, I want to like more than I currently do. The lyrics are wonderful, and so is the instrumentation. I think her vocals aren't up to par, though. I'll need to give this one more time.

All the interludes are excellent, especially Insomnia.

I just wish there were more new songs on here. 6 out of 15 is pitiful. I'm not a fan of Moon or Blossom, and Crossroad is only OK. I do love the 3 singles from L, though. Overall, this is a string album, but I'll need time before I can say how it compares to others.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:26 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by InoriNoUta View Post
And HEAVEN FORBID SOMEONE EXPRESS GENUINE EXCITEMENT ABOUT HER WORK =D Since when did it become more acceptable to be negative about a musician's work?
When all the positive people started criticising the negative people, and the negative people were like "wtf is wrong with you guys, we have an opinion too."

And now the positive people are all pissed off because of the negative people...

and it's just a cycle.

Just everyone, state your opinion, and be strong in your convictions~ No one can take how you feel away from you, unless you let them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumieregrl View Post
The sound was bugging me so much. XD There seems to be an 80's vibe of sorts, but I guess that's TK.
yeah, it's sort of a lower electro vibe, which I love. (Eurythmics = <3 )

It is sooo TK...lol everything on the album is so him. I hope...well, I hope people in Japan like the album.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 19th December 2010, 11:27 PM
TO BE Initiate

Since I won't be able to receive my album until January 4th, I decided the download the original album tracks, give them a listen, and once I was done listening to them I would delete them so I won't grow weary of the tracks upon arrival.

People will say what they want, but I loved every single track that I listened to. No " it will grow on me" business, it was a masterpiece, pure and simple. I won't do a full review where I analyze each song until I actually get the CD, but wow, It exceeded my expectations by 120%. I didn't hear any dull or filler tracks ( I'm talking to you, RnRC, as much as I love that album) But each track had a nostalgic, charming, and beautiful feeling to it. It may even be my favorite album, and that is saying so much. I am really proud of Ayu this year.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:30 PM
Because of You Initiate

Album sounds so fresh, new and strong. Im loving it more and more by each listen. I liked RnRC but I feel like RnRC was everywhere nowhere while Love songs is like one whole story.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:39 PM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
yeah, it's sort of a lower electro vibe, which I love. (Eurythmics = <3 )
I love them too, grew up listening to their music. It's a nice surprise to hear.

Then, in Do It Again, the bass line and beats starting at 5:01 (esp 5:13)...feels really Malice Mizer or some kind of Visual Kei.

lol I wish everyone loved this album, but it ain't gonna happen. Some will always dislike it, some will dislike it at first then grow to love it, some will love instantly, and so on. No need to be hatin' on each other for personal preferences.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:59 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumieregrl View Post
lol I wish everyone loved this album, but it ain't gonna happen.
I really wish this too, I honestly think that this album is so special.

It's funny because usually when an album is released, I usually just let go of the fact that not everyone is going to like it.Now practically EVERYONE is disliking it, and it really puts me down. It's one thing when I like a song, but I realize why people don't like it either, but I honestly don't find any problems with any of the songs. The only one I can think of is " Do it again"s repetitiveness (although I love that song, too.)

Of course I know everyone has their opinions, and I am not saying this as a way to be stubborn or "attack" the opinions of people who don't necessarily like it. I mean, I would rather like something than dislike something, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:01 AM
walking proud Initiate

1. Love song - Wow! Such a beautiful and powerful song! I love the way Ayu sings in this song it's so funky! If I had to pick one thing I found a little meh, is when she hits that high note when she says 'yeah' or whatever...it's a little awkward sounding. Otherwise, I'd have to say this is one of my most favorites off the entire album. 9.5/10

2. crossroad - I love the smooth transition! It was perfect to place this song right after Love song. Well, I've always found this song to be very nostalgic and unique in it's own way. I love the chorus so much...there are slightly dull parts, like the lead-in to the chorus. 9/10

3. MOON - This song has always been iffy for me. I really like the verses, but the chorus just sounds so weak to me . It sounds like it has so much potential to burst into an epic song, but it just seems to fall short of that in the chorus, in my opinion. Plus, I feel like this song runs a little long. 6/10

4. sending mail - Now this is an interesting song :O! When it first started I was thinking...oh wow this song sounds so old O.o...In fact, it sounds kind of cheesy in the verses. But then when I got to the lead-in to the chorus and heard how Ayu sang with so much emotion, I was like okay..I really like this part if anything. Then the chorus just BLEW me away! It is sooo aggressive and powerful sounding! I love the way Ayu sings in this song, just like in Love songs! I was expecting something way different...even after from hearing the previews. This song kind of reminds me of a mix between hana and Mirrocle World if that makes sense xD! Either way, it's one of my favorites by far! 10/10

5. Last angel - This song has always been really awesome to me. It's very surreal and fantasy-like. Some of the verses can be a little dull at times though...like when she sings those low notes in a long, drawn out way. 9/10

6. insomnia - Kind of creepy...Have to say I expected a little more though. That weird little voice that echoes repeatedly in the song kind of ruins the atmosphere the song creates though. And that loud noise at the end kind of scared me lol. I like the little techno synch in the song though. 7/10

7. Like a doll - This is such a peculiar song! It almost has an R&B sound to it. What saves this song for me is the sick little beat it has xD, and how beautifully Ayu hits those high notes O.O! This may sound odd, but it almost has a weird royal sound to it lol. I don't know I really like the verses, high notes, and the beat, but I don't think I'd say this song is one of my favorites off the album. I don't care for the chorus as much. 8/10

8. Aria - God, this interlude is so beautiful . I was not expecting it to sound so elegant and peaceful! It's definitely my favorite off the entire album! I even love the little choir singing in there. And then the electronic part, it kind of reminds me of Owl City! I love this interlude soo much! 10/10

9. blossom - Never liked this song and couldn't even sit through the entire thing while listening to the album. I get that it's supposed to have that traditional Ayu roots sound, but it's just way too bland in my opinion . 5/10

10. Thank U - Bleh I knew I wouldn't like this song. I don't like the cutesy vocals first of all, and second, I just think the 'lalalala' part should not have been the chorus . That itself, makes the song really weak overall, in my opinion. Plus, I feel it's just a bit too long. If I had to pick one thing that I liked, I say the verses, as they were actually a little catchy. 5.5/10

11. Sweet Season - I've actually always really liked this song. I think it's really heartwarming and it makes me feel good when I listen to it. It's not anything outstanding or amazing, but it's simple and nice. 9/10

12. overture - Nice, but kind of cheap sounding. It reminded me of the beginning of free & easy at first, so that sort of set me off to a bad start, since I don't like that song. But it got a little better towards the end, so I actually ended up not minding it. 8/10

13. do it again - Sigh, I'm just not a fan of Ayu singing english in her songs. It just doesn't suit her voice all that much to me. Again however, I LOVED those high notes! They made the song sound so elegant! So maybe with a few more listens I learn to enjoy this song more, but for now, I'd say it's just alright. 7/10

14. November - LOVE IT! Sooo beautiful! It's so distinct and unique. It almost sounds apocalyptic in parts. And to top it off, Ayu sings so wonderfully in it. Her vibrato actually sounds really nice in this song! Definitely one of my favorites! 10/10

15. Virgin Road - Always been epic and always will be. 10/10

16. SEVEN DAYS WAR - Meh, never cared for this song, but for what it's worth Ayu did a solid job performing this. 8/10

Overall: B+

If there's one thing Ayu proved to us on this album it's that she can still hit some really high notes o.o! I'm a sucker for her really high notes, so I was really pleasantly surprised by this! And one of the things that made this album more enjoyable is that her vocals have improved even more since RnRC! Now I wouldn't say this album is better than its predecessor, but it's not a letdown! There were some weak points, but over all it was really good! I'm glad I wasn't disappointed .

Last edited by CHE.R.RY; 20th December 2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:17 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuteka View Post
I really wish this too, I honestly think that this album is so special.

It's funny because usually when an album is released, I usually just let go of the fact that not everyone is going to like it.Now practically EVERYONE is disliking it, and it really puts me down. It's one thing when I like a song, but I realize why people don't like it either, but I honestly don't find any problems with any of the songs. The only one I can think of is " Do it again"s repetitiveness (although I love that song, too.)

Of course I know everyone has their opinions, and I am not saying this as a way to be stubborn or "attack" the opinions of people who don't necessarily like it. I mean, I would rather like something than dislike something, so it doesn't really matter.
I don't think you should let it effect you so much. I understand though, it's hard for me to understand why some people think this is a bad album, because to me, it's her strongest. but that's just how some people feel about it. They have different taste.. and if they don't like it, they have a right to say so. but just think, us who love it are much happier than they are now. we get to listen to these songs over and over again for years and keep appreciating them.. they can't do that. so they really have a right to complain, because it's probably a bit depressing not liking an ayu album and not being able to appreciate her songs, right?

but also lol I wouldn't say EVERYONE dislikes this album at all. while there are some negative reviews.. there are a bunch of positive ones on both here and JPM. and once again older fans seem to be coming out of the woodwork to say how much they love this album and haven't loved her past few ones, so to me, I think that's pretty nice.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:34 AM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
I don't think you should let it effect you so much. I understand though, it's hard for me to understand why some people think this is a bad album, because to me, it's her strongest. but that's just how some people feel about it. They have different taste.. and if they don't like it, they have a right to say so. but just think, us who love it are much happier than they are now. we get to listen to these songs over and over again for years and keep appreciating them.. they can't do that. so they really have a right to complain, because it's probably a bit depressing not liking an ayu album and not being able to appreciate her songs, right?

but also lol I wouldn't say EVERYONE dislikes this album at all. while there are some negative reviews.. there are a bunch of positive ones on both here and JPM. and once again older fans seem to be coming out of the woodwork to say how much they love this album and haven't loved her past few ones, so to me, I think that's pretty nice.
Yeah, like I said originally, everyone is going to have their opinions. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it just means less people to agree with.

I also do think that us who appreciate the album are really lucky, we get to look back on her work and realize what a good job she has done, and be proud of her. Besides, she probably won't release anything for another few months (other than DREAM ON, of course) but it is good to know that I am more than happy with what she has now
Old 20th December 2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
anyone else a little surprised at how high her voice is in a lot of these songs? sometimes it reminds me of her LOVEppears voice, but I do think it's stronger now. It's kind of stupid of me, but over the years I kind of got the idea that ayu's voice just wasn't able to get that high anymore lol.
Thought that too and I really love to hear her sing so high again!
Old 20th December 2010, 01:33 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

One of her most cohesive albums ever.

Instantly one of my favorites!

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 20th December 2010, 02:03 AM
Trauma Initiate

I'm beginning to enjoy the album. To me, this seems so new, fresh, and different. Ayu seemed to have put a lot of thought on this album and what is the message she's trying to get across. I think this album is a bit better than R'n'RC & Secret; also, WAY better than NEXT LEVEL. I feel that this is her more mature album in her career.

I haven't gotten very familiar with all the track so I'll just comment about the ones I know about. Sending mail feels like it should belong in a kick ass anime! It's very strong, intense, and catchy. Full of energy as well. My favorite track on the album so far is do it again. The sounds are very new for Ayu, I also think her vocals are excellent. Thank U reminds me of a HONEY, MY ALL, Replace, and RED LINE in terms of having some sort of theme. All the interlude tracks are great!! My favorite is insomnia and my least favorite is Aria (but I don't hate it). One last thing, I don't know if I like the live version of SEVEN DAYS WAR, but it was a nice edition to the album. I think it would have been better to have added that on a DVD instead of as a bonus track and just have the original of SDW.

Overall, this album is very new and I'm welcoming it. The flow is perfect and this album has shown me why I'm still a huge fan of Ayu after almost 7 years of listening to her.

Tags
love songs