[TA news] AYU will give her performance at NHK "SONGS"! - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 26th July 2015, 07:49 AM
End of the World Initiate

The thing is, you guys, if she nails these performances and shows that she is back in true form with her old songs, people will start to look at her again. They're safe, yes, but potentially career changing once again. "did you hear ayu sing SEASONS? Wasn't she great?" I could already imagine the conversations. These songs are beloved staples to the nation, and regularly enter the top ten on karaoke chats. People are still singing them after forever. It's so logical to have a comeback performance of her old material to let people know that she is back and takes everything seriously.
Old 26th July 2015, 08:39 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
Ayu goes to a TV special dedicated to artists celebrating their own legacy. Ayu sings only new music, or music only people who bought her albums released after 2002 or so actually know. The random viewer that doesn't care about Ayu aside her hit songs changes channel. The promotion fails.

And this is exactly what would happen, the viewer that doesn't care about Ayu (AKA, most of japanese people right now) wouldn't bother sitting through a show staring a has been washed up grandma (to use the adjectives people apply to her) on a "desperate attempt of being cool and relevant". She is first reminding the public that she why they loved her to, after that, remind them that she still is alive.

There's a pretty clear logic Ayu uses to decide her setlists:

Tours: Tracks from the current album + biggest hits
Because the idea here is presenting and promoting the album to the audience. The public ranges from casual listeners with nothing better to do to hardcore fans.

Countdown: Fan favorites + obscure tracks
CDL is aimed at her fanbase, and because of that she has more freedom on picking tracks that she doesn't perform often or that didn't really get big.

A-Nation : Biggest summer hits + whatever she is promoting at the moment.
It's a festival and there are people there who didn't really went to the event to watch her, so she must be sure to sing stuff people who doesn't really gives two shits about her existence can recognize.

To what context this TV special from the public tv station is more similar? It's not a hard concept to get.

If the general public hyped this release (and there's no marketing strategy that can do that right now), if the general public was even a little bit curious to know how Sixxxxx sounds, that would be a whole different story... But the people who are actually curious about this release already saw previews of it on the tour.
I couldn't agree more. I also want to add to the bolded part: this is why I also think those people who say that Ayu is not the only one who has a say in what she's going to perform on TV are right. TV stations don't want this scenario to happen, too. They want more viewers, so obviously they'll want to control what Ayu sings to a certain extent. Unfortunately Ayu's not in the position where she's popular and everyone will do what she/her team wants any more. In regards to her own career: yes, very likely, but when more parties are involved... Probably not so much any more.
Old 26th July 2015, 08:42 AM
too late Initiate

We all know that Ayu had the vocal training at the end of 2014 and the result is the great vocal in the latest CDL. But SEASONS performance with JJ Lin in February isn't great.
Until now, I believe that there are some songs that are unsuitable for her current vocal (SEASONS, M, JEWEL, HEAVEN,...), specially in her classic ballad.

However I also put my hope on her performance which will be aired in August.
Do you think so ?
Old 26th July 2015, 09:03 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
Setlist is real, I was surprised. Felt like a wasted opportunity to me. But her vocals were great for all of them. But granted I was watching it live, and when I watch it back it might sound differently. But I think she did them great. She recorded M and Seasons twice. She wasn't happy with the first time.

I was super close, and it was a really cool experience. Like a private concert for 600 people haha.

They asked us not to share the track list but someone else did so I don't feel so bad :-p

I was interviewed in the waiting area to give a message directly to Ayu. They interviewed me in japanese then asked for an English message. I told Ayu that she has lots of fans in western countries so if she has the chance please perform. You're welcome. Lol
Thank you for report! Did she sing full songs or short versions? Did they interview her or just filmed her singing?
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~ (11.05, 12.05 (Yokohama), 15.05, 16.05 (Osaka)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2013-2014 A (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2014-2015 A, Cirque de Minuit (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2015 Cirque de Minuit ~真夜中のサーカス~(11.04, 12.04 Saitama)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2015-2016 A ~MADE IN TOKYO~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』(29.12, 30.12)
Old 26th July 2015, 09:12 AM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
II told Ayu that she has lots of fans in western countries so if she has the chance please perform. You're welcome. Lol
Were is the like button

Arena Tour 2012 A ~HOTEL Love Songs~ Marine Messe Fukuoka ~ 21.04.2012
Arena Tour 2015 A ~Cirque de Minuit~ Osaka Jo Hall ~ 25.04.2015
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 07.04.2018
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 08.04.2018
25th Anniversary Live Tour ~ Beisia Culture Hall Gunma ~ 04.11.2023
Old 26th July 2015, 09:28 AM
starting over Initiate

Ayu has a big responsibility to sound just as good as in her 20's. And even better with a cover of such an artist like utada. Ayu just opened a very dangerous can of worms. Praying for thumbs up.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:58 AM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalove View Post
Ayu has a big responsibility to sound just as good as in her 20's. And even better with a cover of such an artist like utada. Ayu just opened a very dangerous can of worms. Praying for thumbs up.
How come? TBH her version of Movin' on without you is so much better than the original in every way. She nailed it every time she's done it live.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 26th July 2015, 12:11 PM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
How come? TBH her version of Movin' on without you is so much better than the original in every way. She nailed it every time she's done it live.
I'd say it is either hit or miss. I've heard it live 5 times and only two of them were good.
Edit: oh, also the rehearsal version on 28/12, it was really good too.
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~ (11.05, 12.05 (Yokohama), 15.05, 16.05 (Osaka)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2013-2014 A (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2014-2015 A, Cirque de Minuit (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2015 Cirque de Minuit ~真夜中のサーカス~(11.04, 12.04 Saitama)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2015-2016 A ~MADE IN TOKYO~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』(29.12, 30.12)

Last edited by Chris85; 26th July 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 26th July 2015, 12:14 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
I'd say it either hit or miss. I've heard it live 5 times and only two of them were good.
Edit: oh, also the rehearsal version on 28/12, it was really good too.
Both times I was there it sounded awesome. The CDL clip was also really good.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 26th July 2015, 12:43 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
Both times I was there it sounded awesome. The CDL clip was also really good.
That CDL clip is so edited it almost sounds like a studio version...

Utada's music is hard to sing live...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 26th July 2015, 01:02 PM
Trauma Initiate

I heard the TV version, there were not many differences.

ᵋ₍⚬ɷ⚬₎ᵌ Zhao Li Ying Fan ᵋ₍⚬ɷ⚬₎ᵌ

Old 26th July 2015, 01:16 PM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiUsagi View Post
I heard the TV version, there were not many differences.
So do I.
But I don't like the performance and her vocal in this song from the CDL.
Hope for the other version which is better in Arena Tour 15
Old 26th July 2015, 01:24 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

Quote:
Ayu goes to a TV special dedicated to artists celebrating their own legacy. Ayu sings only new music, or music only people who bought her albums released after 2002 or so actually know. The random viewer that doesn't care about Ayu aside her hit songs changes channel. The promotion fails.

And this is exactly what would happen, the viewer that doesn't care about Ayu (AKA, most of japanese people right now) wouldn't bother sitting through a show staring a has been washed up grandma (to use the adjectives people apply to her) on a "desperate attempt of being cool and relevant". She is first reminding the public that she why they loved her to, after that, remind them that she still is alive.

There's a pretty clear logic Ayu uses to decide her setlists:

Tours: Tracks from the current album + biggest hits
Because the idea here is presenting and promoting the album to the audience. The public ranges from casual listeners with nothing better to do to hardcore fans.

Countdown: Fan favorites + obscure tracks
CDL is aimed at her fanbase, and because of that she has more freedom on picking tracks that she doesn't perform often or that didn't really get big.

A-Nation : Biggest summer hits + whatever she is promoting at the moment.
It's a festival and there are people there who didn't really went to the event to watch her, so she must be sure to sing stuff people who doesn't really gives two shits about her existence can recognize.

To what context this TV special from the public tv station is more similar? It's not a hard concept to get.

If the general public hyped this release (and there's no marketing strategy that can do that right now), if the general public was even a little bit curious to know how Sixxxxx sounds, that would be a whole different story... But the people who are actually curious about this release already saw previews of it on the tour.
This makes perfect sense on paper. I guess I'm just the most disappointed with M and Movin' on without you. She has been pushing Mowy hard since it came out...I remember being surprised that she even did it at CDL. At this point it's like, alright girl...this song is popular, go call RedOne again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Step by step, Summer diary, Anything for You, Out of control, Story, NO FUTURE, The GIFT etc. etc.?
Let's be real though, NONE of those had a chance of making it to this performance except for the sixxxxxx tracks.

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 26th July 2015, 01:29 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieces_of_SEVEN View Post
She has been pushing Mowy hard since it came out...I remember being surprised that she even did it at CDL. At this point it's like, alright girl...this song is popular, go call RedOne again...
The only reason why Movin on without you was "popular", i'd rather say well welcomed among the general public, is because it's a hikki cover, if it was an original Ayu song, people wouldn't have cared. RedOne sure did a good job, but he's def not the reason why the general public liked it and downloaded it.

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 26th July 2015, 01:34 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

^lol you can't know that for sure though. Being an ayu fan and an utada fan, sure I was excited that ayu was covering it. But the song stands well on its own. It's a far cry from the dated 90s R&B track that the original is.

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 26th July 2015, 01:45 PM
Dolls Initiate

Movin On Without You is a shitty song - original or cover (in my opinion).
And what.s with the ”utada songs are hard to sing”? For the first half of her carrer she sang mostly basic pop/r&b tracks (which is not a bad thing, I do enjoy some of them) that almost any decent singer could sing. The problem is that ayu.s voice doesn.t fit these kind of urban songs. I have to admit that her ambiental/experimental stuff is good but not necessarily hard to sing. The thing is, even Utada herself doesn.t manage to sing them properly in her live appereances. She.s more of a good composer than singer.
Old 26th July 2015, 01:56 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieces_of_SEVEN View Post
^lol you can't know that for sure though. Being an ayu fan and an utada fan, sure I was excited that ayu was covering it. But the song stands well on its own. It's a far cry from the dated 90s R&B track that the original is.
I didn't say her version wasn't super good! Actually i love it and it's one of my most played track recently. But you can't deny the fact that if that song was entirely new and hers and not a Hikki cover to begin with people wouldn't have cared. As they don't care whenever she releases new stuff even when it's the basic stuff japanese people love and probably would have sold 300 000k if it was sung by a more popular singer such as Nishino Kana (like Step by Step).
When MOWY was out people were attracted to it because "Look a hikki cover ! And look it's very well done, she did a good job with that one for sure", the live version @ CDL posted on youtube got a loooot of views, whereas the other videos (Zutto..., Last Minute) got forgotten. People got curious and wanted to listen and watch MOWY video simply because it was a Hikki cover, and they liked it, but you can see that that stopped at that and didn't bother listening her other new songs.

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 26th July 2015, 02:23 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
Movin On Without You is a shitty song - original or cover (in my opinion).
And what.s with the ”utada songs are hard to sing”? For the first half of her carrer she sang mostly basic pop/r&b tracks (which is not a bad thing, I do enjoy some of them) that almost any decent singer could sing. The problem is that ayu.s voice doesn.t fit these kind of urban songs. I have to admit that her ambiental/experimental stuff is good but not necessarily hard to sing. The thing is, even Utada herself doesn.t manage to sing them properly in her live appereances. She.s more of a good composer than singer.
Utada's music has a lot of key changes that are really hard to replicate live, and she herself is well aware of that (as she herself talked about it). A good singer can most likely sing them, but neither Ayu or Utada are good singers, on good days they are passable at best.

But considering you said Hikki sings properly live I already know this is a fruitless discussion... The girl misses more notes than she hits.

Old 26th July 2015, 02:38 PM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Utada's music has a lot of key changes that are really hard to replicate live, and she herself is well aware of that (as she herself talked about it). A good singer can most likely sing them, but neither Ayu or Utada are good singers, on good days they are passable at best.

But considering you said Hikki sings properly live I already know this is a fruitless discussion... The girl misses more notes than she hits.
I said Utada doesn.t manage to sing properly.
Old 26th July 2015, 03:23 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Oh, them we can both agree her stuff isn't all that easy to sing live... =)

Tags
nhk, sixxxxxx, songs