[Translation] "Duty" interview from Beatfreak magazine - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries > Ayu Library > Articles

Notices

Old 5th November 2009, 08:11 AM
Replace Initiate

[Translation] "Duty" interview from Beatfreak magazine

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like beatfreak did a track-by-track interview with ayu, just an interview on the album in general. This interview is still VERY interesting though!

I've found the Japanese text of the "I am..." track-by-track as well, and will translate that one as soon as I can. However, the version I found doesn't have any of the single tracks like "evolution" or "Dearest" explained, only the album tracks. If anyone can find an explanation for those tracks anywhere, please let me know!!

--------------------------------------

Ayumi Hamasaki has released her third album "Duty" on September 27th. In this interview, we delve into her thoughts on the album. Let's go!

Your third album, "Duty," has been released at last, but about when did you start working on this album?
A: The start of choosing the songs to put on the album started after my nationwide tour ended. So I was really worried, thinking, "A September release is going to be impossible!" (laughs)

The tour ended on August 9th, so it's probably only natural to think that. Nevertheless, now that it's done and on sale, would you say the tour had any influence?
A: There was alot that I got from the tour, I think it influenced the album quite a bit. But it's not just what I got once the tour was over. Like, three songs were done before the tour began ("vogue," "Far away," and "SEASONS"), the way I was at the time is in there, me fighting with myself during the tour is in there, what I was able to do once the tour finally ended is in there, and the time I enjoyed spending by myself afterwards is there. There's an impression of a whole flow of time in the album.

Which reminds me, those three songs are in their release order on the album, but in between them there are new songs sort of "buried" in there. So, the last song, "girlish," is the real conclusion of the album, and is it also a sort of "answer" to the album's questions?
A: Yeah. I think so. Like the lyric "Let's go with that feeling" from the song...

Taking "Present" from your first album and "Who..." from your second into consideration, this song is a conclusion, but until now you haven't thought of this song as a way to end things, right?
A: In general, I'd think of a song like "Key ~eternal tie ver.~" as an end song.

Ah, I see. But I thought "girlish" had very good lyrics. The lyrics to this last song aren't published in the booklet like they usually are, there's no excess power in there, it's a very light feeling, but it's very good, I think.
A: Where I am in my life right now, there's a girl at the top and a girl feeling very down gathering together and mingling, and these lyrics have a feeling of immediacy, in a manner of speaking.

But the songs aren't on the album in the same order as the lyrics were written in?
A: It was all kinda scattered. The first one I did was, I think, "SURREAL."

Ah, the song whose single was released concurrently with the album. Considering that Hamasaki-san writes realistic lyrics about ground you've actually traveled, I was thinking that title was somewhat mysterious, though.
A: Although I did want to write something realistic, I have a habit of escapism, so writing something realistic, I still thought I should use that title (laughs). When I say "Although you say that you think you're worthless / You'll put both hands out if you fall down on the road" in the lyrics, the truth is, I'm talking to a friend of mine. One day, she said, "It doesn't matter what happens to me," or something of the sort, and it just made me weep. And yet, when she fell down, she put her hands out suddenly, protecting herself even though she'd given up, and when I saw this, I thought, "Ah, it doesn't matter, does it?" It seems like whenever I'm also thinking "Whatever happens, happens," I think I'll always quickly protect myself if I fall down on the road! (laugh)

You talk about such a scene, and it's so interesting to hear about the inspiration behind your lyrics, but what's with that composure of yours?
A: Ahahaha... Well, if you say it's impressive, I guess it's because it's my nature.

If you watch very calmly like that, various other people would be rather unhappy with you.
A: You lie! Aww, now what do I do? (laugh)

Naah. It's already too late to do anything about it... So, getting back to the subject, reading these lyrics, it felt like a person discovering something they like, and I was dwelling on that very intensely.
A: Yeah. If someone has found what they like, I think that's great. But even if they find what they like, for instance, if they decide they want to become a model, I would think adults would all say "What? Why modeling?" and "Find a real job!" and stuff like that. The thing you like, whatever it is that's worth dreaming about, I thought it seemed like it should be great, shouldn't it?

So now, I'd like to hear about "Duty," the album's title track.
A: I wrote it before I wrote "vogue," and it reflected the state I was in at the time. The lyric "my turn" isn't referring to just myself though, it means each and every one of you also. Of course I do include myself in that group. For instance, there have been various "artists" out there for years and years. Mr. or Miss So-And-So was there, but the times are always changing, you know? And everyone can see when the world changes. History is always being repainted like that, one era ends and we can see it happen, we can't be as young as we are now forever, and we can't be onlookers forever. So we can't just say "Eh, I don't get it, whatever" forever, I thought.

And how does that connect with the title?
A: Communicating that is something I thought it was my duty to do at the time.

Next, why were you considering following up last year's "white Ayu" and "black Ayu" with this CD jacket's "Leopard Ayu"?
A: Because for some reason I just really wanted to do it! (laughs) Before, I kept asking myself "Why do I wanna do White Ayu and Black Ayu?" and stuff but there was absolutely no reason for it, but lately, doing things with no reason isn't so scary to me. So it's just like, "I'm gonna do this!"

That seems to symbolize Hamasaki-san right now. Rather like the song "girlish." Will you be running recklessly from now on, then?
A: Honestly, right now, I already AM running recklessly! (laugh)

INTERVIEW: Akira Endo
Old 5th November 2009, 08:28 AM
Dolls Initiate

I liked the interview.

Kinda wished she talked about each song, but it was nice knowing this too
Old 5th November 2009, 08:35 AM
Dolls Initiate

^ wow...
awesome...
thanks...

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another...

Old 5th November 2009, 08:50 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Woah, so was Duty a super rushed album or something? August 9th -> a September release...?!? Though Duty was written before vogue (before the concerts)... which is a little unlike how she does things nowadays with a ton of songs at once as the album release date approaches.

Nice interview though!
Old 5th November 2009, 08:59 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Another translation form Deli!! Yahoo! I love BEatfreak interviews! Can't wait for the I am...
Can't believe ayu managed to release an album after a nationwide tour!

Thank you for the translation!!!

rusuke's music Livejournal /// rusuke's music blogspot

Ayumi Hamasaki is my Right wing and GACKT is my Left wing

Loving AYU ~15th AYU-versary~(2002.02.02)

Old 5th November 2009, 09:08 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Thanks Deli, this was interesting! It's a shame they didn't do a track-by-track interview though. T_T
Old 5th November 2009, 09:51 AM
Lelio Protector

Thank you very much. ^__^
Old 5th November 2009, 12:37 PM
Over Initiate

As always, thanks Deli!
Duty was a good album!!
She didn't have much power against the upper back then..

~15周年間、おめでとう!~

You are my dream
Is this trap?
I don't know

Old 5th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Because of You Initiate

thank you so much!
Old 5th November 2009, 05:05 PM
everlasting dream Initiate

you're on a translating roll, eh? ;D thanks for sharing
Old 5th November 2009, 06:53 PM
CAROLS Initiate

would you mind posting the scans for the Duty and LOVEppears Beatfreak mags?

Old 6th November 2009, 02:14 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Thanks for the translation, Duty is one of my favorite album from her.
Old 6th November 2009, 02:18 AM
count down Initiate

thank you for the translation! I had fun reading this~

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 6th November 2009, 03:08 AM
Replace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisyume View Post

would you mind posting the scans for the Duty and LOVEppears Beatfreak mags?

I wouldn't mind at all, cept for the fact that I don't have them These are from transcripts I found at other ayu sites & saved as text files. If anyone could post them, that'd be fantastic!
Old 6th November 2009, 08:56 PM
ourselves Initiate

she seems so much more confident and self-assured in this interview. thanks so much!

My travel blog
Old 7th November 2009, 12:32 AM
CAROLS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0 View Post
I wouldn't mind at all, cept for the fact that I don't have them These are from transcripts I found at other ayu sites & saved as text files. If anyone could post them, that'd be fantastic!

ohhh darn!
I only have I am and memorial address from the old ones

Old 8th November 2009, 02:43 AM
BRILLANTE Initiate

Thanks Deli
Old 8th November 2009, 10:03 AM
Don't look back Initiate

omg Duty was de in...1 month?! ok..well..considering that she didnt have PVs for the new songs I guess recording songs ONly were pretty fast. Wished there was a song-by-song interview but I'm gd with this.

I definitely understand now, now that she's all grownup, she is seeing things differently and probably some things just make sense...so her lyrical has defniitely changedd
Old 8th November 2009, 11:47 AM
Replace Initiate

Duty is my most fav album till now!!!
Old 8th November 2009, 02:23 PM
forgiveness Initiate

Thank you for this!

Duty is my favourite album so its a shame that they didnt do a title-for-title interview but Im very pleased with this one too! It was very interesting.

[Video] Key ~eternal tie ver.~_______LJ Blog________[Video] A History
[BIG SALE! Ayu CDs/DVDs/Goods/Ayupans and more!]
AHS married to Maro
~13/1-2010~

Spoiler:
We had such a nice time. We started dating in t2m PV, took it slow you know, let our love grow. Then it got really serious in 2008. Then after AT2009 we moved in together. It was lovely. Then on AT2010 he asked me to marry him. He was such a sweet. And Ayu gave us our blessings. She was also such a sweet. Now me and Maro are such a sweets together. Aaaw, how time flies.

Tags
ayumi, beatfreak, duty, hamasaki ayumi, translation