[Britney Spears] The 5th Thread - 'Britney Jean' Era - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > General Music Chat

Notices

Old 23rd July 2015, 06:12 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-baptiste View Post
I agree. I'm actually quite appalled Britney even collaborated with her and am hoping to God it was something her label pushed her to do.
I have to admit tho, the Britney/Iggy collab was so random and Iggy was already having a lot of bad rep due to her tweets and live performances so idek why her label decided to have a collab with Iggy(iggz)

praying for your souls

Old 23rd July 2015, 06:34 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikku1994 View Post
I have to admit tho, the Britney/Iggy collab was so random and Iggy was already having a lot of bad rep due to her tweets and live performances so idek why her label decided to have a collab with Iggy(iggz)
They got the flavor of the week popstar to collab with Britney on a track to keep her name around while she doesn't have anything better to release. The track is good enough to become a minnor hit without becoming a smash hit that would force them to rush an album, the flavor of the week popstar isn't good enough to overshine Britney and she has a new song to perform at an award show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
^I think she collaborated with Iggy because Britney and TI seem to know each other besides they also collaborated. And I think the whole collaboration was being planned before Iggy started with all those ignorant and racist comments.
Not that I like Iggy, but bashing her as if she invented racism won't get us anywhere. I really liked this article and its résumé:

Haranguing Azalea over and over again for her thoughtlessness isn’t going to get us any closer to solving the root problems: the systemic inequality perpetuated by capitalism over colonised and marginalised peoples; the sexism entrenched in the capitalist process in which black women fare significantly worse than white women, and the particularly twisted cluster of exploitation in which a black man can make a fortune off a single-minded white woman taking pride in her own ignorance.
The part of this article you post completely ignores the race issue hapenning here... When a talentless white girl becomes (for only a feel months, thanks God) the biggest rapper on the market while being unable to rap, to freestyle and probably doesn't even write her own lyrics (something that makes no sense in rap music) while a lot of very talented black women, many even produced by other black men, like Iggy herself, doesn't get near the same spotlight.

The shitbag gets the fame and the money from other people's culture without even being capable of replicating what people from that culture do out of the studio. People like Iggy and Macklemore (Eminem is another case) are making money they don't deserve based on talent they don't have while delivering a lower quality product only because they are white.

And I wonder how would you react if someone said we shouldn't hold a man guilty of being openly sexist because he didn't invented sexism himself and blaming him wouldn't solve anything.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 23rd July 2015, 07:30 PM

^I don't see where the part of the article I posted isn't addressing the race issue, since it says:
the sexism entrenched in the capitalist process in which black women fare significantly worse than white women.

Furthermore wether I nor the article I linked to ever said you shouldn't address racism when you see it or that Iggy isn't guilty of being racist. And to quote the article once again:
None of this absolves Iggy from the money she is making off her notoriety, nor is it to suggest that we shouldn’t be calling racism when we see it, but simply to argue that Azalea is an effect of a messed up world, not the cause.

It's great that people openly spoke out that Iggy is being racist with her comments and behaviour, but like I said people were acting as if she invented racism calling her things which sadly takes every credibility of the actual valid and important criticism. It's nice that a lot of people can identify racism when it's so obvious like in Iggy's case, but calling her (sexist) names without questioning the system behind her won't change anything. On the contrary, now people can blame a dump young woman for all the evil in the world and call her a slut or whatever but still keeping the status quo.
Just fighting Iggy without addressing the general sexism in the industry from which all the big names take profit from won't change anything. And I think the article demonstrated that pretty well with the example of TI and Iggy. Most of the time not even black men in the industry respect black women. I mean see Nicki Minaj. The woman really has talent but gets slut shamed all the time out of her own scene for things other big male artists let women do in their videos all the time. Not to mention that Nicki Minaj despite all her talent has to play the typical cliché role of how people expect black women to be. And how many women in general are big hip hop/rap artists? There are maybe 3 or 4 that are considered relevant within the scene. There is so much racism and sexism in the industry that by just talking about Iggy won't take us anywhere.
I never meant to say that you don't see the context and maybe I was just not clear enough: no one here in this thread said that there isn't a bigger context but the internet went nuts over Iggy for weeks without just once questioning the status quo and whenever the debate comes up again I'm just like "what about not only shaming Iggy but the whole system behind her and therefore actually changing something?".
But well that would mean that all white people who shamed Iggy would need to question their own behaviour and that all the black male rappers who shamed Iggy would need to do the same. I don't think anyone really wants this, it's much more easier to blame a single woman, who like we all know isn't very clever and even proud of it, for weeks.

Last edited by Chibi-Chan; 23rd July 2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:32 PM
still alone Initiate

The idea that a bigot should be considered a victim is ridiculous. That article is twisted. I didn't read all of it, but with a headline like that I don't think I need to.

I don't dislike Iggy because of the cultural appropriation or because of her success as a white female rapper; its her utter disregard for those who are offended or hurt by the situation or by her actions. The icing on the cake are her blatantly racist tweets. Plus, I don't think she's a good rapper at all. So the collaboration with her was just disappointing.

When it comes to to the issue of sexism, I have to point out the fact that Eminem (to my knowledge) has never gotten backlash for being a successful white male rapper, yet Iggy gets crucified. So there is definitely a double-standard at play here.

This whole thing just has so many layers, its a mess.

Last edited by jean-baptiste; 23rd July 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:49 PM

^I think you should read the rest of the article because the critic comes at the end. The headline is just like this because this way it brings more attention. It does not say Iggy wouldn't be responsible for her racist comments or so.
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:07 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
^I think you should read the rest of the article because the critic comes at the end. The headline is just like this because this way it brings more attention. It does not say Iggy wouldn't be responsible for her racist comments or so.
I took your advice and read the rest of it, and I now see a lot of the points you make are valid in this context. (My bad for not reading all of it.) It actually also says exactly what I did about Eminem. Race issues and gender issues are two very messy and serious topics, so when the two come into play at the same time lines tend to get blurred or one issue takes precedence over the other.
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:10 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
When it comes to to the issue of sexism, I have to point out the fact that Eminem (to my knowledge) has never gotten backlash for being a successful white male rapper, yet Iggy gets crucified. So there is definitely a double-standard at play here.
Eminem got lots of backlash for the same reason, but people tends to be more forgiving towards him because he grew on a black neighboorhood, made his name as a rapper on the underground among other black rappers and always made sure to keep it clear he was aware that being white made it easier to him. Also, he is a fucking brilliant rapper.

Macklemore got more shit than Eminem, but he is a shitty rapper and only got way with it because he hide behind the lgbt comunity.

Old 23rd July 2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I took your advice and read the rest of it, and I now see a lot of the points you make are valid in this context. (My bad for not reading all of it.) It actually also says exactly what I did about Eminem. Race issues and gender issues are two very messy and serious topics, so when the two come into play at the same time lines tend to get blurred or one issue takes precedence over the other.
Yes, it's really difficult. And I agree about Eminem. I think the only reason he got away with it was that he always played the same sexist and homophobe game like all of his other male collegues. He never was racist so black men weren't that offended since he actually got talent. But Iggy was also racist towards black men and I think that's the difference. Men were offended too. We can see things like that also by reference to the "say her name" and "black womens lifes matter" protests black women were initiating. Even their own community only cares about male lifes and racism towards males. Iggy is a "victim" of positive sexism since even black male rappers know that it's easy to make money of a sexualized white woman and therefore she was able to get big. But black women have it more than twice as hard as her in the industry, because they are women no one thinks they got talent, and because they are black no one wants to invest money in their careers since they won't sell the same way like white women most of the time.
Old 16th October 2015, 09:56 PM

I want this shirt: http://store.britneyspears.com/pop-u...-toe-tank.html
Old 17th October 2015, 12:11 AM
Secret Initiate

Did you guys read that interview where Iggy blamed Britney for the failure of Pretty Girls and Britney tweeted something about how she's looking forward to having shows for the rest of the year after Iggy cancelled her entire tour lmfao
Old 17th October 2015, 08:49 AM

^lol what? xD No, I didn't read it. Do you have a link?
Old 17th October 2015, 03:12 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
Did you guys read that interview where Iggy blamed Britney for the failure of Pretty Girls and Britney tweeted something about how she's looking forward to having shows for the rest of the year after Iggy cancelled her entire tour lmfao
I heard about it and then I think they both addressed the issue as completely fabricated by the media (still, one has to wonder). Basically, Iggy made a statement as to how she wishes they had more opportunities to promote it and the media took that as her blaming Britney somehow.
The song was pure and utter garbage, how about you blame the producers as well as yourself for even recording such a festering sack of pop music puss.
Old 21st October 2015, 08:39 PM

Now they're selling tshirts for Halloween with "It's Britney, Witch". I think that's cute! =)
Old 26th April 2016, 07:52 PM
Dolls Initiate

BRITNEY SPEARS TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE 'MAKE ME (OOOH)' IN MAY: REPORT

"UPDATE (4/11, 2:45PM): According to the Las Vegas Sun, Britney Spears' lead single—cheekily titled "Make Me (Oooh)"—will arrive next month. Robin Leach, the same person who shared the original album information, reportedly confirmed a music video is being shot on Monday and the new single will follow in four weeks.

Once that is all wrapped up, the pop princess' ninth LP will allegedly drop a month after "Make Me (Oooh)." The source told the Las Vegas Sun:

“’The single and the video will thrill fans because it’s all new, totally different and somewhat unexpected. It’s different; it’s a turn. She’s gone from pretty straight-forward pop to a really interesting vibe with a lot of really cool stuff."

Original Story, 4/10 at 10:30AM: Britney Spears' long awaited ninth studio album is due in May. This news comes from Robin Leach—the guy who used to host Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous, the heavily-syndicated program that profiled the glitzy lives of celebrities throughout the '80s and '90s.

Britney is slated to select the lead single from her forthcoming record tomorrow (April 11), and shoot the video a week later, (April 18). Per Leach, Ms. Spears will elaborate on this news via Vegas Deluxe, the 72-year-old's entertainment column in the Las Vegas Sun newspaper. "

source: fuse.tv

Hopefully it won't get postponed. I don't like when they say that the new album is going to be something extraordinary because they have said it in the past too (Britney Jean), and it wasn't really like that. Same with ARTPOP by Lady Gaga, the tease was huge but the result wasn't on par (I like ARTPOP a lot, but Gaga made it seem like a masterpiece).
Old 26th April 2016, 10:36 PM

I really hope there will be a new album soon! There are rumours about a new album getting released soon since over a year now.
Old 27th April 2016, 01:30 AM
rainy day Initiate

I was saying the same thing about the hype to my friend. They say that EVERY F*CKING TIME. It's always "she's at the top of her game" "it's the best she's ever done" "it's her true comeback" lol. Like anyone remember the hype that there was around the frickin reveal for her Las Vegas residency? It was on like GMA and they hyped it like she was gonna do something revolutionary in the sands, when really all she did was get in a helicopter and fly over a group of people on the ground who held up the announcement. And she complained about it, lol.

Anyways, "different" scares me cause her track with Iggy was "different" and it turned out to be the shart of her career.

Last edited by Zeke.; 27th April 2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 27th April 2016, 03:45 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Legend says she will have creative control over this release... Usually this means good releases from her.

Old 27th April 2016, 05:20 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Humankind is ready for a new Britney Spears album.
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:43 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Britney is receiving the Millennium award and is performing a medley of her greatest hits + her new single Make Me (Ooh) live at the Billboard Awards on May 22nd!

https://twitter.com/BBMAs/status/727150667396059137

倖田來未
浜崎あゆみ
中森明菜
松田聖子
鈴木亜美

Old 2nd May 2016, 08:15 PM

^that's great! =D

Tags
britney jean, britney spears, charts, pop