[Article] Namie Amuro’s retirement re-sparks debate on who will sing at the Olympics - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 25th September 2017, 01:00 AM
still alone Initiate

Who will perform at the 2020 Olympics?

Namie Amuro’s retirement announcement re-sparks debate on who should sing at the Olympics

Just read this article. Looks like the writer didn't consider mentioning Ayu.
I was surprised no one is saying Perfume. That is who I would guess Japan would choose.

Last edited by EndOfTheWorld; 26th September 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 25th September 2017, 06:04 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Not to sound negative but I never consider Namie would perform in the next Olympics & my opinion doesn't change irregardless her sudden unexpected retirement announcement

In recent times Namie has kept herself out of the public eye as much as possible & already she stopped performing TV and that goes for rejecting invitations to perform/appear on Kouhaku

A lot thought SMAP might perform in the 2020 Olympics but after they disband , now it seems maybe ARASHI is more highly likely and if JAL is the main airline sponsor , even more so since ARASHI promotes JAL themselves in their ads

I wouldn't be surprised if AKB48 or their many numerous sub groups will take part seeing that Akimoto Yasushi sits on the Olympics panel :x

If not ARASHI , then maybe X JAPAN , B'z or Southern All Stars ? I don't know for L'arc though

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 25th September 2017, 07:19 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

I think she was an option but for me there are several options: ARASHI, AKB48, Perfume, Utada Hikaru, Masaharu Fukuyama and a succesful enka singer.

TWICE

Old 25th September 2017, 11:10 AM
from your letter Initiate

I kinda want Matsuda Seiko to sing on the Olympics. (I know it very likely won't happen)
Old 25th September 2017, 12:14 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Never thought Namie would be part of it.
Most likely one boyband/ rock band and AKB48.
And for female solos maaaaaaybe Shiina Ringo as she's part of the committee as well as AKB48's producer and she already was in the closing ceremony of the last Olympics in Rio. If anything.

Asahi Shinbun actually released an translated interview with Shiina Ringo on their site about that topic.

Here's an excerpt:
Quote:
"I also think it would not go down so well in Japan if we were to rely on star power. If a certain celebrity was selected, it would only cause a fight between people who support that person and those who don’t. That is not what our version of Japan and Tokyo ought to be.
She proposes something more harmonious for the ceremony.”I believe collective ideas gathered from the wisdom of ordinary people would be a better representation of the nation.
Here's the full thing:
http://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles...708270005.html

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 25th September 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 25th September 2017, 02:21 PM
still alone Initiate

Based on the poll included with the article, 6.52% voted "Anything except Johnny's or AKB48" the 3rd most voted option. It looks like a lot of people don't want idols to be chosen. But maybe people in Japan may have a different opinion. Of course Utada has the highest votes. But I don't know if she would be interested in doing such a high profile event. She tends to always limit her time in the spotlight.
I did consider Namie as a possibility even before her retirement announcement but not as a top pick or front runner. She has the popularity and legacy to be qualified but I just don't see her doing it.
I think Perfume is the best choice. I can totally see them making a special single for the event and creating an elaborate choreographed performance. I think foreign countries would be impressed with their style of dance.
Old 25th September 2017, 03:45 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfTheWorld View Post
Namie Amuro’s retirement announcement re-sparks debate on who should sing at the Olympics

Just read this article. Looks like the writer didn't consider mentioning Ayu.
I was surprised no one is saying Perfume. That is who I would guess Japan would choose.
Sorry to say, but Ayu really wouldn't be in the running.

Perfume is a possibility to be involved some how. I honestly think Namie was indeed the front runner; she would have been a great representative for Japan - a great "face" to put on the country. She has vocals that foreigners could respect, has good English pronounciation when she tries, et cetera. Now, I think Utada probably has the highest chance since she has returned and her fluency in English would be a big plus. Plus she is well liked and respected. I also think someone from the Enka world will be there.

Who knows though with the thing being produced by AKB48's producer. He already stated 2 years ago that he was putting together a special 48 group for the event.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 25th September 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 25th September 2017, 03:53 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

If somebody from the committee officially says, that they won't rely on star power of single persons, they most probably will only use a band or a group of people.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 26th September 2017, 01:18 AM
still alone Initiate

I'll be disappointed if they choose AKB groups. I'm not Japanese but I feel like groups like that don't represent the best of Japan. To me they symbolize the superficial side of popular Japanese music.
But if the man in charge of them is in a powerful position like that, I am sure they will make sure they are in involved somehow.
Old 26th September 2017, 02:28 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
Sorry to say, but Ayu really wouldn't be in the running.

Perfume is a possibility to be involved some how. I honestly think Namie was indeed the front runner; she would have been a great representative for Japan - a great "face" to put on the country. She has vocals that foreigners could respect, has good English pronounciation when she tries, et cetera. Now, I think Utada probably has the highest chance since she has returned and her fluency in English would be a big plus. Plus she is well liked and respected. I also think someone from the Enka world will be there.

Who knows though with the thing being produced by AKB48's producer. He already stated 2 years ago that he was putting together a special 48 group for the event.
Good thing it will most likely be lip-synced them... What means Ayu wouldn't fuck it up either, or that Namie would actually be able to rock the english through it.

But TBH, it will most likely be an AKB48 like group or some other very plastic idol group, as they are pretty much the international face of Jpop.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 26th September 2017, 09:04 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Maybe they're going to use a group of different artists for the show? Maybe even not so popular ones, but ones from different regions of Japan to represent it?
I guess this could be a possibility.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 26th September 2017, 02:30 PM
still alone Initiate

My dream come true would be Ayu and Gackt performing together.
Old 26th September 2017, 07:05 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
But TBH, it will most likely be an AKB48 like group or some other very plastic idol group, as they are pretty much the international face of Jpop.
Honestly, if they do that, it will only underscore how out of touch Japan is with the rest of the world. I even think most Japanese people agree that AKB48 is awful to be the "face" of Japan.

I'm hoping that the 48 groups will just be relegated to doing all of the props/back dancing etc., as most opening ceremonies have a cast of thousands now; the 48 groups are going to be an easy choice in that respect. For performances though, I hope they avoid idol groups entirely unless they want to be laughed at by the rest of the world. IMO, Arashi or SMAP might be the only acceptable ones in that regard.

Another person that I feel is getting a little forgotten in the equation is Superfly. She is very well liked and respected in Japan, has a wholesome image, and an excellent voice.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 26th September 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 27th September 2017, 04:35 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Singing for the Olympics is a huge thing and if Japan doesn't want to embarrass itself on a global front , I really hope none of the AKB48 related groups would be in the main spotlight

Japan has many different well respected musicians , it depends on how open you're to them

DREAMS COME TRUE , MISIA , GLAY would be good choices too . They've been around for a really long time & also maybe Kuraki Mai ?

Likewise same thing goes with ARASHI , KinKi Kids , V6 . Granted they're Johnnys but they really worked hard to get to where they're now

Also it's funny that before the AKB48 boom , people were lamenting how Johnnys kept dominating but looking at it now , the way the AKB48 related groups are marketed , it felt like exploiting on a really bad awful level :x

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 27th September 2017, 05:09 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I still see Namie as a possibility. As the poll says, its not like shes dead. Even though she will be retired, it wouldn't really be cheating if she came back for a special event performance. If they asked her and theres enough pleads from the fans, I'm sure she would atleast consider it. She already has Hero, which was used as Japan's olympic theme for Rio, and Japan seems to love that song, one performance wouldn't be too much to ask.

Hikki would be great too.

The author could have included Ayu, but not really necessary, fans would just be disappointed with the results, her popularity and demand just isn't there anymore.

Last edited by lfe.; 27th September 2017 at 05:11 PM.

Tags
namie amuro, olympics 2020