[Utada Hikaru] ʕ•̫͡•ʔ Upcoming 2018 Album and Tour in the 57th thread ʕ•̫͡•ʔ - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 10th February 2018, 11:40 AM
Voyage Initiate

My ranking:

Deep River
Fantome
Ultra Blue
Exodus
Distance
Heart Station
First Love
This Is The One

OMG I can't believe we finally have the Kingdom Hearts song!!
Old 10th February 2018, 12:09 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiniTakashi View Post
Hmm...not writing the song off, but it doesn't give me the same hype as "Simple & Clean" and "Passion". I'll wait and see.
I feel the same way. I was a little disappointed, maybe the longer version will be epic
Old 10th February 2018, 02:36 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Great song. Completely different feel from the last two songs. Her voice sounds much fuller than the Hikari and Passion. Hikari was very pop. Passion was very theatrical. Oath sounds much mature and emotional. Can't wait to hear the full version. I love the evolution of the KH theme songs.

Old 10th February 2018, 02:58 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

^ yeah! I felt the same way. Personally loved the preview in both languages and it really evolved as a trilogy of songs along with the three main games: the first one was fun and colorful and pop, the second one was still a lil bit frantic, but more realized and cautious, slowing coming to a climax, and this last one really sounds like one lost its faith, and it's recovering little by little, as the song moves to its climax, just like KHIII promises to be, right? (the closing, I guess. At least of Sora's arc)

I'm really looking forward to listen to it whole, and finally play the effing game hahaha
Old 10th February 2018, 03:39 PM
BEST Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
And I think it's also a testament to Utada playing her cards right. She's never done anything scandalous or shameful to the public. And she evolved. I think because every release is "fresh", it's been hard to fall out with Utada. She won't be selling 3X Platinum forever, but that's a pretty big feat for a comeback these days.
I think there is also something to be said about her fanbase, and her overall personality here. She was (and is) allowed to exist as both an insider and and outsider in Japan, since she was raised in the US. She was foreign enough to be interesting, while still being Japanese (and, as mentioned, coming from good lineage). Hikki's overall approach/personality has never been "celebrity" - I think she is seen as more of a famous, talent singer than a personality or celebrity (funny enough, I think this is exactly what Namie wanted to be).

But I digress. Hikki did marry a man older than her, and ultimately divorce him. She has now re-married, had a kid, and lives abroad. These are very similar things to what Ayu did that caused her fanbase (and the general public) to abandon her. Is it because with Ayu it was a foreigner? It is because Ayu is more "celebrity" and therefore a bigger target? Is it because Ayu is Japanese born and raised? Who knows, but I do think it also highlights the difference in their respective images and fan-bases.
Old 10th February 2018, 04:01 PM
still alone Initiate

Finally, it's over. The new KH themes are here.
I feel pretty much the same towards this song as the last few releases. It's good and enjoyable but doesn't have any special impact on me. It's a good quality dramatic ballad.
But nothing matters really. The KH fan base will freak out and praise the song to high heaven.
I'll be surprised if the reception is less than sensational.
Old 10th February 2018, 04:21 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I've always wondered how much of a role Utada's status as the daughter of a famous producer and a former idol singer from the 70s played in her success. Hearing stories about people like Taylor Swift, whose father had some connections to Big Machine financially, and knowing that played a massive role in launching her career, I've always wondered about Utada.

And I think it's also a testament to Utada playing her cards right. She's never done anything scandalous or shameful to the public. And she evolved. I think because every release is "fresh", it's been hard to fall out with Utada. She won't be selling 3X Platinum forever, but that's a pretty big feat for a comeback these days.

And Ayu, well... I mean, she was just massive. She blew up and became so big, so quickly that I think she honestly thought she was going to be a 2- or 3-album music wonder. Luckily, she evolved enough to keep it going for another decade, but just keep in mind that by 2008, Ayu was selling half as many records as Utada. And she had ended up behind the curve on things like digital singles. Utada launched Flavor of Life and pretty much made the case for a digital music market with that single. Ayu followed it up with Together When... a year later, which is still her best-selling song in numbers ever.

But still, I wonder so hard whether Utada's parents had a lot to do with connecting her to the right people and practically guaranteeing her the successful career...?
I do think their parents connections and know how had a huge influence on her longevity. Not to dismiss her talent or hard work, but a lot of what make a popstar career is meeting te right people and doing the right moves, and she had experient people to make sure she would do it right. Her music being fucking good didn't hurt either, so she had the artistic and the business side of her stuff done right

About Ayu... I do think her ballsy choices is an integral part of her charm, and this may be a unpopular opinion, but I do think this lead her to have a kind of cultural impact none of her peers did. IMO Ayu"s presence will be way more felt on the jpop world through other artists than Namie's for example. I still feel in the end of the day the girls are still kinda trying to sound like Hikki, but also to look like Ayu.

I also believe people go hard on her because she is too compared to Hikki or Namie who have completely strange runs during their careers. For someone who peaked more than 15 years ago in the jpop world she actually sells pretty well, has a back catalogue that keeps her selling digital songs yearly and has a impressive ability to sell concert tickets.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 10th February 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10th February 2018, 04:34 PM
Secret Initiate

Thirteen years too long for KH3 to come out but damn I love that song preview!
Old 10th February 2018, 06:12 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

I think it may didn't backfire as much as with ayu, but at the time Utada released an statement about her wedding to a foreigner there was plenty of commentaries about how the guy she was going to marry was aiming at her money and how he was less successful as she was and all - maybe because Japanese media/society still doesn't see in good eyes a woman being the one who sustains a family? But she never made her life the center of the stage at any point, she was always very reserved, less opened than ayu, but that's what gave Japanese media the feeling they could diss ayu more than Utada? I don't know haha
Old 10th February 2018, 06:55 PM
monochrome Initiate

I really dislike the piano in the track. It just leads nowhere. I'm hoping the actual song changes it up.
Old 10th February 2018, 08:54 PM
As if.. Initiate

I really dislike the song. Such a disappointment.
Old 10th February 2018, 09:38 PM
appears Initiate

Yeah, don't like the song either :/
Old 10th February 2018, 11:30 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

I don't know how I feel about KH3 song. It's not bad, but not what I imagine a KH song would be . I kinda expected it could be something similar to her current style (raw, stripped down arrangement, etc ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I do think their parents connections and know how had a huge influence on her longevity. Not to dismiss her talent or hard work, but a lot of what make a popstar career is meeting te right people and doing the right moves, and she had experient people to make sure she would do it right. Her music being fucking good didn't hurt either, so she had the artistic and the business side of her stuff done right

I also believe people go hard on her because she is too compared to Hikki or Namie who have completely strange runs during their careers. For someone who peaked more than 15 years ago in the jpop world she actually sells pretty well, has a back catalogue that keeps her selling digital songs yearly and has a impressive ability to sell concert tickets.
I think other artists have experienced people around as well. What makes hikki different is that having a parent as her manager means she has 100% power to control what she wants to do. Of course if her dad was an a**hole and just used hikki as a milking machine, her career would have ended already. Luckily her dad is not a**hole, and I gotta admit that Teruzane does an excellent job as hikki's manager.

I'm glad that ayu has a back catalogue to support her financially (?), at the same time I'm sad that the current ayu is not relevant at all. When she was at her peak, I prayed that she would not end up as Seiko no. 2, but I kinda think she ends up worse. At least Seiko bounced back a bit when she's older (like, after she's 50?). I don't really know if one day ayu will bounce back again, but right now I really can't see her having a second peak like namie (when she released 60s70s80s and BEST FICTION), or having a constant success like hikki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco__ View Post
I think it may didn't backfire as much as with ayu, but at the time Utada released an statement about her wedding to a foreigner there was plenty of commentaries about how the guy she was going to marry was aiming at her money and how he was less successful as she was and all - maybe because Japanese media/society still doesn't see in good eyes a woman being the one who sustains a family? But she never made her life the center of the stage at any point, she was always very reserved, less opened than ayu, but that's what gave Japanese media the feeling they could diss ayu more than Utada? I don't know haha
Yeah I remember those commentaries, but it wasn't that bad when she wedded. They were more negative about two years later or so, when they said that her husband didn't have job (or lost his job?), and that she was the financial support of the family. Hikki even commented once during that period (which is considered rare). I agree that hikki is more reserved about her private life, so the public only knows that she has two boyfriends after the divorcing Kiriya (and one became her husband eventually). Also, hikki's life style is not glamorous compared to ayu's. I believe Japanese think ayu is living like a diva, which is so distant from normal people's life styles.

Last edited by bluegie; 12th February 2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11th February 2018, 12:14 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post
I don't know how I feel about KH3 song. It's not bad, but not what I imagine a KH song would be .
Agreed. But I also thought the same thing about Sanctuary. It'll grow on me the same way, I'm sure. As just another song, I enjoy it. Just dunno if it's theme material. At least not to me.

Finally, I can stop dreaming....

Old 11th February 2018, 12:33 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

@bluegie The difference between your parent maneging your career and a total stranger it's the commitment when things get hard. As a father Teruzane most likely wished for Hikki to be around since the begining, while a stranger is most likely ok in leaving the boat once the shelf life of the artist is gone.

About Ayu, I wouldn't call her totally irrelevant as she still able to sell tickets and shit she does hits the news. Even having haters as vicious as hers are a proof she isn't dead.

I don't know if she can put off a Namie-like 2nd peak, but I'm shure she will have stuff getting on the radar from times to times, as she still does.

Old 11th February 2018, 12:41 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Out of all the 3 songs (still to early to judge Oath), Oath is much more grounded and has this humanistic emotional feel. If this is the direction she is going for, I am quite impressed with her capacity to evolve and change not just as an artist but also as an person. The piano totally reminds me of that broken toy piano she used in "Keep Tryin'". It adds a great effect and reminds me that not every song has to be so epic and grandeur.

But I mean who defines what a KH theme song is supposed to be?

Last edited by xdevilsxinsidex; 11th February 2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11th February 2018, 03:58 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

I liked the song... Hikari and Passion sound nothing alike too.

Old 11th February 2018, 04:21 AM
WE WISH Initiate

The preview sounds nice. I may like the song more as a theme than something to listen to by itself. But it depends on the direction it takes in full as well as how the franchise will use it.

It definitely wasn't what I was expecting but in the end, I think it's interesting and can still work well with the series in a different way. It's hard to put into words

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 11th February 2018, 08:22 AM
ζternal Initiate

I quite didn’t like the preview at first but when i tried to listen to it using my earphones i liked it. It sounds really sad for me specially the strings in the intro.

facebook | instagram | twitter

Old 11th February 2018, 09:19 AM
appears Initiate

The song could definitely fit in Fantτme.
I did not like it at first but i had it in mind on my sleep. I woke up by liking it.
As for Passion/Sanctuary, the japanese version is much better IMO.

I can't wait to play the game.

Instagram

Tags
hikki, utada hikaru