[News] Ayu paying tribute to Utada Hikaru - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th November 2014, 04:14 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

I was just joking it's not Easy Breezy!! XD

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 11th November 2014, 04:18 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
I wonder though now that she is better with the english maybe this wont be a problem?
Lol she couldn't have improved so drastically since the recording of songs like XOXO and especially Angel.
Old 11th November 2014, 04:32 PM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Hmm. I don't really think anyone should cover Hikki's songs. Her voice is the only one that really works for them imo. But I'm interested to hear how it sounds anyway.
Old 11th November 2014, 04:47 PM
GREEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Lol she couldn't have improved so drastically since the recording of songs like XOXO and especially Angel.
you think she has problems in those songs? Hm, Ill have to go back and listen, but I never noticed anything before.
Old 11th November 2014, 04:52 PM
GAME Initiate

I'm probably the only one who couldn't care less about this. Never got the Utada hype. Just listened to "Prisoner of Love" and "FINAL DISTANCE" and I'm instantly reminded of why I like Ayu, truly some of the most boring melodies I've ever heard in pop music.
Old 11th November 2014, 04:53 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
you think she has problems in those songs? Hm, Ill have to go back and listen, but I never noticed anything before.
Angel for sure. It's not the fact that you can't UNDERSTAND her English (although angel is a little bit difficult) it's the fact that her voice is UNPLEASANT to listen to when she sings in English.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:10 PM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
I'm probably the only one who couldn't care less about this. Never got the Utada hype. Just listened to "Prisoner of Love" and "FINAL DISTANCE" and I'm instantly reminded of why I like Ayu, truly some of the most boring melodies I've ever heard in pop music.
I agree with the fact that Prisonier of Love is extremely boring and generic. I like Utada but man, she is overlyvaluated most of times. I love her Deep River/Exodus/Ultra Blue/Singles Collection Vol. 2 but half of Heart Station is so lazy and First Love/Distance eras are nothing spectacular.

I really hope that Ayu won't do Prisonier Of Love.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:11 PM
rainy day Initiate

I'm not too keen on prisoner of love but I LOOOVE DJ Amaya's remix of it. I think ayu could put her own spin on it and make it very enjoyable.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:14 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
I was just joking it's not Easy Breezy!! XD
Uh oh
I told everyone under the sun when the forum told me this.
I kinda wish she did sing it though
Old 11th November 2014, 05:50 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuraiNamida View Post
It would be fun if she sings Colors. lol

Anyway, I'm hoping for Final Distance or one of KH's openings.
I thought about Colors, too! That would awesome!!!!

Deep River would also be pretty! Or Letters...Now I'm gonna write a list of all the songs I could imagine! WEEEEEEEEE!!

Last edited by DonkeyKongRemix; 11th November 2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:54 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
I agree with the fact that Prisonier of Love is extremely boring and generic. I like Utada but man, she is overlyvaluated most of times. I love her Deep River/Exodus/Ultra Blue/Singles Collection Vol. 2 but half of Heart Station is so lazy and First Love/Distance eras are nothing spectacular.

I really hope that Ayu won't do Prisonier Of Love.
I like a lot of her music too but agree she seems really overrated. idk, I've always felt like people wouldn't think she was SUCH a godly composer if she just composed for other people and wasn't the actual artist in the forefront. Because her songs are nice but they're really nothing super special?

And that's why I'm not excited about this at all lol. The only Utada song that I could see suiting Ayu is FINAL DISTANCE and I hate that song very very very very very much.
Old 11th November 2014, 06:06 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
I like a lot of her music too but agree she seems really overrated. idk, I've always felt like people wouldn't think she was SUCH a godly composer if she just composed for other people and wasn't the actual artist in the forefront. Because her songs are nice but they're really nothing super special?

And that's why I'm not excited about this at all lol. The only Utada song that I could see suiting Ayu is FINAL DISTANCE and I hate that song very very very very very much.
I've been a fan of hers for close to ten years and her album Heart Station is my favorite of hers! It's not lazy, it's just taking the style she had in Ultra Blue and perfecting it.

Everyone has different tastes, though. It's definitely my favorite album, though, and for me, that's saying a lot because I love every album of hers.

Her music is very special and intricately made. I will always love Ayu's music the most, but Utada has a skill level that far surpasses many modern musicians!
Old 11th November 2014, 06:08 PM
appears Initiate

It's not popular, obviously, but I could picture ayu singing kairo.
Old 11th November 2014, 06:20 PM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeakira View Post
It's not popular, obviously, but I could picture ayu singing kairo.
omg, Kairo is gold
Old 11th November 2014, 06:20 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post

Count me in.
I don't care for Hikki, for me she's totally overrated as well.
I like her KH songs, but that's probably about it. Never got into the albums I listened to.
So this release is doing nothing for me, too.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 11th November 2014, 07:04 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalini-dahlia View Post
I've been a fan of hers for close to ten years and her album Heart Station is my favorite of hers! It's not lazy, it's just taking the style she had in Ultra Blue and perfecting it.

Everyone has different tastes, though. It's definitely my favorite album, though, and for me, that's saying a lot because I love every album of hers.

Her music is very special and intricately made. I will always love Ayu's music the most, but Utada has a skill level that far surpasses many modern musicians!
I think you quoted the wrong person? I didn't mention anything being lazy.

But since you quoted me anyway... I don't think her music is special or intricate. I could get behind calling it "good" but it's not really special or intricate or unique in any way. With Utada, you know you're getting either a basic R&B pop song or a basic ethereal pop song. The only time she really experimented and did something out of the box was DEEP RIVER and EXODUS, and even then DEEP RIVER was really mainstream for jpop, just not totally in her safe R&B comfort zone. And I feel like if you took her as the artist performing it out of the equation, nothing would really change for the songs; she doesn't add much to them aside from the melody, lyrics, and a basic R&B/ethereal pop arrangement. Anyone could do what she does and make the music she does. That's why I don't get the (in my own opinion) mass overhype for Utada as a composer/artist. Because she's good at composing really consumable music, but I don't think it's very interesting or special as far as music and songwriting goes. idk I just don't get it personally.

Last edited by Tom Punks; 11th November 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11th November 2014, 07:11 PM
rainy day Initiate

Hikki has this supernatural ability to cultivate amazing and unique environments for her music. I'm speaking more-so about her work after and including ULTRA BLUE. She has this certain style that you just simply CANNOT get from anyone else. Her best songs are Keep Tryin', Take 5, BLUE, This Is Love. I'd say try those songs out if you haven't. Id even include Sakura Nagashi in there. For me, everything pre-ultra blue is severely overrated. If you haven't given the latter stuff a chance, you really should. It's vastly different.

I could see ayu doing BE MY LAST, simply because the environment of that song always seemed reminiscent of the environment that ayus song RAINBOW evokes. They are similar in that regard.

Last edited by Zeke.; 11th November 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11th November 2014, 07:15 PM
poker face Initiate

I hope she sing the remix of Boku wa Kuma
And change it to [Boku Wa Teddy Bear~ Real Queen Ver.~]
⊂((・x・))⊃
Old 11th November 2014, 07:20 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopockymaster View Post
...yikes.

I wonder if Shiina Ringo's song will be traveling? I would *kill* for a studio version from her. I wish there was an embed code for tumblr, but y'all will just have to follow the link: http://sayonarababy.tumblr.com/post/...a-hikaru-cover
That Jolin Tsai performance was....yikes...
Old 11th November 2014, 07:24 PM
Trauma Initiate

maybe 'COLORS' because 'same name' with ayu's album 'COLOURS'
Closed Thread